• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dizzle

Jan 27, 2018
    If you have guns in the house all locked up in a safe and the felon does not have access to any of them can they live in the residence with you?

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    If you have guns in the house all locked up in a safe and the felon does not have access to any of them can they live in the residence with you?

I'm pretty sure they cannot. IANAL.

I only say that because it seems like around here there is the law.... And then there is Barney Fife's interpretation of the law, which usually equates to:

Ugh. Seems illegal. Must be illegal. Arrest now. Get backslaps. It'll all work out in court. Thin blue line. Sheepdog.l

CYA

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    The law says nothing about living arrangements. Only that firearms must not be accessible to prohibited persons. Locked in an actual safe should qualify as not accessible. But, as always, consult an attorney to be sure, and for any legal "gotchas" to watch out for.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    The law says nothing about living arrangements. Only that firearms must not be accessible to prohibited persons. Locked in an actual safe should qualify as not accessible. But, as always, consult an attorney to be sure, and for any legal "gotchas" to watch out for.

^
    This, not the other

Nanook

F-notso-NG-anymore
    IANAL either but you probably ought to have a frank discussion with the parole officer as well unless released outright. From what I understand, in most jurisdictions when folks are on parole the PO can enter the residence, workplace, etc without warrant as stipulated in the terms of release.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.

IANAL either but you probably ought to have a frank discussion with the parole officer as well unless released outright. From what I understand, in most jurisdictions when folks are on parole the PO can enter the residence, workplace, etc without warrant as stipulated in the terms of release.

All this. It also depends how recently they are a felon. Are we talking a 1995 conviction for assault, for which someone got probation and never saw a cell? Or a recent heroin conviction?

Setting aside the law, having guns in the house with a recently minted heroin addict with a felony conviction makes you a target for theft or worse like a home invasion, if the addict goes back to old ways and forgets to pay the bills. My 0.02.

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    I've seen a known multi-offense felon handling guns for his auctioneer father at a sale last fall. Didn't seem to bother anyone at all.

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    All this. It also depends how recently they are a felon. Are we talking a 1995 conviction for assault, for which someone got probation and never saw a cell? Or a recent heroin conviction?

Setting aside the law, having guns in the house with a recently minted heroin addict with a felony conviction makes you a target for theft or worse like a home invasion, if the addict goes back to old ways and forgets to pay the bills. My 0.02.

An excellent point

J Beard

Deplorable Member
    Jan 28, 2013
    Calvert County
    G. Gordon Liddy used to say on his radio show.

" As I am a convicted felon I am not allowed to own a gun. However, Mrs. Liddy has a rather nice collection of them."

Dizzle

Jan 27, 2018
    Ok he was convicted in 1995 served a sentence until 2000 and since then has changed his life around. Not on probation or parole just a previous felon.

antco

Ultimate Member
    Apr 28, 2010
    Calvert, MD
    A parole officer in AZ had zero problems with his felon parolee (sexual crime as I recall) living in a house full of guns all locked in safes, for which the parolee had no key or combination to. This comes from an employee I had that was the owner of said house and hardware. AZ is a different world than MD however...

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Depening on his crime and conviction, has this person considered applying for a state pardon?

He has completed his sentence, parole and probation plus has had a clean record for 19 years. That may count toward something with Hogan since Trump brought crime and punishment back to the forefront.

platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    G. Gordon Liddy used to say on his radio show.

" As I am a convicted felon I am not allowed to own a gun. However, Mrs. Liddy has a rather nice collection of them."

AMEN

The fact that as a convicted felon he is no longer allowed to possess, or even touch, a firearm has apparently had little effect on Liddy's gun collecting and shooting activities. Asked how many guns he owns, he's ready with his stock response: "None. But Mrs. Liddy owns 27, some of which she keeps on my side of the bed." He admits, however, that he still practices his shooting. So, like, how does that work?

Liddy levels an icy gaze at his inquisitor and says: "They don't want me back in the federal prison system. They couldn't wait to get me out of there."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/lifestyle/magazine/1992/05/24/radio-free-liddy/f9b60c15-02c7-4f58-9f59-3896482fafb8/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.f77c452a38a8

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom