• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigmanindc

Nov 3, 2018
    DMV
    Be very careful turkey hunting on public land. Remember that you are not wearing orange. Make sure that you are not wearing turkey colored socks, underwear, watches, or anything that might peak out under camo. You are literally going to be hiding and making turkey noises.

Meyer's Station's NWTF branch in Crofton does a turkey hunting clinic that is amazing. Amazing. There are also lots of nice books.

Why aren't they wearing orange?

jstolz

Aug 28, 2018
    Glen Burnie
    Be very careful turkey hunting on public land. Remember that you are not wearing orange. Make sure that you are not wearing turkey colored socks, underwear, watches, or anything that might peak out under camo. You are literally going to be hiding and making turkey noises.

Meyer's Station's NWTF branch in Crofton does a turkey hunting clinic that is amazing. Amazing. There are also lots of nice books.
    Just looked it up, would love to go but unfortunately I work all day.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    When does the season open? I see stuff like this all the time, 2 weeks from now zero turkeys

Attachments

• 20190330_134652.jpg
      20190330_134652.jpg
      88.2 KB · Views: 212

byf43

SCSC Life/NRA Patron Life
    My youngest son went turkey hunting, for the first time, about 5 years ago.

He got a nice, big, Tom. One shot. About 26 yards.

When he called me, to tell me that he got one, I just HAD to ask him how many people he scared, in Safeway's frozen food section.

:)

CrawfishStu

Creeper
    Dec 4, 2006
    Crofton
    Why aren't they wearing orange?

From DNR.
    Daylight fluorescent color clothing is not required for hunting turkeys. However, turkey hunters are encouraged to wear it as a precaution. Successful turkey hunters are also encouraged to put an orange ribbon on the turkey when carrying it out of the woods.

It isn't that you can't, but the birds can see it.

bigmanindc

Nov 3, 2018
    DMV
    From DNR.
    Daylight fluorescent color clothing is not required for hunting turkeys. However, turkey hunters are encouraged to wear it as a precaution. Successful turkey hunters are also encouraged to put an orange ribbon on the turkey when carrying it out of the woods.
    It isn't that you can't, but the birds can see it.

LOL I always just read requirements under deer hunting never thought it was differenrt for turkey.

Be on the look out at Bass Pro Shops, they should have a Turkey hunting seminar coming up.

Should have followed my own advice just checked BassPro and the seminar was on Saturday the 30th!!!!!

bigmanindc

Nov 3, 2018
    DMV

Thanks for the info on the clinic, lots of information and great clinic glad I caught it!!!!!!

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    Junior turkey season is this weekend. My sons last Maryland junior hunt was today and he scored.

23 pound bird with a 9 3/4” beard. Its his first turkey and i think he is hooked.

Attachments

• 0821B04C-29DF-4CCB-B700-0B35F77C687F.jpg
      0821B04C-29DF-4CCB-B700-0B35F77C687F.jpg
      181.3 KB · Views: 137
    • 8FCBDAA3-DCBA-40B5-AF8D-7646C503F565.jpg
      8FCBDAA3-DCBA-40B5-AF8D-7646C503F565.jpg
      158.7 KB · Views: 130
    • 901DC5FB-A315-4838-AFD2-927B875A4CCF.jpg
      901DC5FB-A315-4838-AFD2-927B875A4CCF.jpg
      149.1 KB · Views: 134

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    I wasn’t hunting but while my wife was doing something around the chicken coop I took a short walk and got to the tree line and set on a stump hoping I can deer hunt this year and while I was sitting and thinking I heard a noise and I looked around and there were 3 does about 45 feet from me standing in the shape of a triangle and in the center of the triangle was a great big Tom with spurs long enough to see from there and two beards dragging the ground.

They looked at me looking at them and all four of them walked away back into the woods at a 45degree angel from me like they were in formation

Weird huh??

bigmanindc

Nov 3, 2018
    DMV
    I wasn’t hunting but while my wife was doing something around the chicken coop I took a short walk and got to the tree line and set on a stump hoping I can deer hunt this year and while I was sitting and thinking I heard a noise and I looked around and there were 3 does about 45 feet from me standing in the shape of a triangle and in the center of the triangle was a great big Tom with spurs long enough to see from there and two beards dragging the ground.

They looked at me looking at them and all four of them walked away back into the woods at a 45degree angel from me like they were in formation

Weird huh??

No video?

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    No video?

First I am not very tech savvy nor as quick handed as I probably should be

Second, you gotta sit pretty still to get that close to game and not spook it by fiddling with a camera, but again they didn’t spook when they looked at me but maybe they didn’t make me out because I was pretty damn still

And third, I never thought about trying to video it to tell you the truth , I wish I had

I wonder what the deal was?

bigmanindc

Nov 3, 2018
    DMV
    First I am not very tech savvy nor as quick handed as I probably should be

Second, you gotta sit pretty still to get that close to game and not spook it by fiddling with a camera, but again they didn’t spook when they looked at me but maybe they didn’t make me out because I was pretty damn still

And third, I never thought about trying to video it to tell you the truth , I wish I had

I wonder what the deal was?

Soooooo NO Video?
    :poke:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Junior turkey season is this weekend. My sons last Maryland junior hunt was today and he scored.

23 pound bird with a 9 3/4” beard. Its his first turkey and i think he is hooked.

I guarantee he's hooked! Nice bird! :party29:

You're up next Brian. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom