36X.jpg
      137.5 KB · Views: 324

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    My CZ 527 Royal .223
    Great looking rifle. Unlike the OP, I prefer no iron sights with 223 out of a bolt gun especially as I would like to scope it, with a straight back stock and optic closer to the bore line. I've been thinking about the Ruger Predator, but that Royal stock for the 527 is sweet.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

armed_economist

Dec 4, 2017
    The new Ruger American Predator takes AR mags, and although has a cheap stock, does supposedly shoot pretty well. It can be had for a little over $400.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    The new Ruger American Predator takes AR mags, and although has a cheap stock, does supposedly shoot pretty well. It can be had for a little over $400.

I have a RAP in 6.5 Grendel and the AR mags are sort of a loose fit; awesome rifle o/w. Except for the 7.62x39 RAR model that takes mini-30 mages (which fit nice and tight), I would say get a box mag designed for a bolt gun; not a mag designed for a semi-auto. Just my opinion.

Last edited:

Matt C.

Jan 13, 2019
    Another vote for CZ 527, mine (7.62R) is a favorite of everyone who has shot it.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

armed_economist

Dec 4, 2017
    I have a RAP in 6.5 Grendel and the AR mags are sort of a loose fit; awesome rifle o/w. Except for the 7.62x39 RAR model that takes mini-30 mages (which fit nice and tight), I would say get a box mag designed for a bolt gun; not a mag designed for a semi-auto. Just my opinion.

Thank you for sharing that experience. What do you mean by a box magazine in this context, like a proprietary magazine designed for the bolt gun specifically, rather than a commonly used mag (like AR) that you retro fit a rifle into taking? Many bolt guns use factory rotary magazines, and reviews on those are often less than satisfactory too.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Thank you for sharing that experience. What do you mean by a box magazine in this context, like a proprietary magazine designed for the bolt gun specifically, rather than a commonly used mag (like AR) that you retro fit a rifle into taking? Many bolt guns use factory rotary magazines, and reviews on those are often less than satisfactory too.

Most Ruger Rifles use a traditional flush fit rotary magazine. This Ruger American in 6.5 Grendel on the other hand accepts the same mags that go on an AR15 in 6.5 Grendel. So it literally takes semi-auto mags. I personally think the mags designed for the bolt action rifles are better suited. The semi-auto mags for the RAR in 6.5 Grendel have some play; they don't seat tightly. They are too sloppy.

Now the RA Ranch rifle in 7.62x39, even though it uses Ruger Mini-30 mags; those mages fit nice and tight. So they are (in my opinion) the exception.

Trumpet

SCSC/NRA life member. MSI member
    Oct 29, 2005
    I've been eyeing both the Howa 1500 varmint and the 1500 mini. The 1:8 twist is a bonus.

echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC
    Just to complicate things even more, I did check out a Mossberg MVP that’s on consignment at United. Now I’m not so sure I’d rule out synthetic, and am liking the idea of a scope.

Well, I know I’ll still want .223 and a bolt action, so the search kinda continues. Maybe this summer...

Echo6mike, going mobile...

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Just to complicate things even more, I did check out a Mossberg MVP that’s on consignment at United. Now I’m not so sure I’d rule out synthetic, and am liking the idea of a scope.

Well, I know I’ll still want .223 and a bolt action, so the search kinda continues. Maybe this summer...

Echo6mike, going mobile...

I cant complain about my MVP its a great little shooter. No work of art but does the job. Its lamintate though.

solarpower44

Feb 2, 2016
    Glenelg MD
    I have a Remington 700 sps tactical 5.56 (with an aftermarket stock) and love it
    Semper Fi

Attachments

• AF135AE6-4ADA-4E0A-A586-1D177757E23F.jpg
      AF135AE6-4ADA-4E0A-A586-1D177757E23F.jpg
      140.4 KB · Views: 160

echo6mike

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2013
    Close to DC
    I cant complain about my MVP its a great little shooter. No work of art but does the job. Its lamintate though.

Well, laminate/synthetic - not traditional wood was my point, I think.

I did like the way the MVP has the low profile iron sights, so the scope mounted above (shop had one with a Nikon P-223, nice glass) very nicely.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Well, laminate/synthetic - not traditional wood was my point, I think.

I did like the way the MVP has the low profile iron sights, so the scope mounted above (shop had one with a Nikon P-223, nice glass) very nicely.

Its a nice little gun but it isn't my CZ carbine.

Trumpet

SCSC/NRA life member. MSI member
    Oct 29, 2005
    Will a 1:9 twist reliably stabilize a 75 grainers? I was under the assumption that it would, but not reliably which is one reason I'm leaning toward the Howa or Tikka.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom