• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • noddaz

bonehead
    Jan 9, 2014
    Arnold
    Do things like the title exist? A Sharps or a Rolling Block kit would be interesting.
    Thanks

redeye

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 13, 2019
    Not that I’m aware of.

It couldn’t be a competed, functional firearm, even disassembled and in kit form, otherwise it would have to go to an FFL. it would have to be an 80% type deal, with you competing the remainder of the work to make it functional.

There’s not really a huge demand for those anyway, let alone in a build-it-yourself market.

Rambler

Doing the best with the worst.
    Oct 22, 2011
    There was a gunsmith author known as Mr. Single Shot who published several books on modifying and even making single shot rifles. At the time several decades ago, there was an abundance of these guns to hack on. Making one from a theoretical 80% condition would not be trivial. Unlike the aluminum or polymer kits, tbe rolling blocks etc are steel and just drilling the holes requires considerably more care. The receiver and barrel would have to be threaded by the kit maker since that is really beyond most hobbyists capabilities. The rolling block uses square threads and that is even more difficult to make. There probably is not enough of a market to justify the tooling since unlike the ar olatform, the internal parts are not commonly available and would have to be made/ supplied as well. I recall seeing mauser type bolt action receivers in incomplete form. That might be a starting point for a home built since trigger parts, bolts and barrels are easily sourced.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

noddaz

bonehead
    Jan 9, 2014
    Arnold
    Thank you for the replies

Not what I wanted to hear... And I would not mind going through a FFL. But it is what it is.

GunBum

Feb 21, 2018
    SW Missouri
    There are “kits” that you can make from castings. They are pricey, and require a well equipped shop. By well equipped, I mean a lathe, a horizontal or vertical mill, a shaper or broaches, and a bucket of patience.

There’s a fellow on eBay selling sharps castings if you want to get an idea of cost.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    A rolling block kit would be cool. I also wouldn’t mind having to go through an FFL.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    You could probably arrange to buy an action from Shiloh for a Sharps, then stock it to suit.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Vickery's book goes into some detail about reworking rifle actions and types suitable for each use. Hepburn, Stevens, Remington, Winchester high wall low wall etc. Rim-fire to centerfire extractors, bushing and, re-rifling barrels not to mention heat treating, making tools and forming dies for bullets etc.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    Here’s one of the places selling “kits”

http://therifleshoppe.com/catalog_pages/single_shot_parts/(900).htm

That’s the direct link for rolling block parts. Good luck finding it from the homepage. :lol2:

http://therifleshoppe.com/default.htm

Here’s the full page of single shot parts.

http://therifleshoppe.com/catalog_pages/single_shot_parts/(single_shot_parts).htm

They have a great selection of hard to find repro parts for antiques, but gawd are they slow to ship. I'm still waiting on them to fill an order for some 1853 Enfield parts from last August. From what I've heard elsewhere, this isn't unusual. But they're the only game in town for a lot of stuff. I've always wanted to build a Hall Rifle from one of their parts sets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom