• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fxdunigan

MSI Executive Member
    Mar 7, 2012
    Southern MD
    Does one take their MD CCW application to the Livescan facility? Is this where the notory comes in? Or, can one go to a Livescan facility without CCW application and get their Livescan and photos?

I went to the Livescan facility with only my driver's license. Told them what it was for and they handled the Livescan prints/background part only. But now I know they could have done more than i paid for, but it depends on the facility you choose and what you pay for. Some offer Livescan, photos & notary. Bring the papers & sign in their presence to have them notarized.

I did Livescan only at Apex for $68. This is the fingerprint/backround check part. I printed my own digital photos & used a friend who is a notary. Optionally, my bank does notary services for free.

As long as the MDSP get their $75 application fee, notarized forms, your original Livescan receipt (keep a copy), and the 2 photos, it doesn't matter who did the photos & notary services.

Last edited:

Kilroy

Ultimate Member
    Jul 27, 2011
    When you guys say LiveScan/background check, what's the background check part about? Are we talking about commercial fingerprint providers?

fxdunigan

MSI Executive Member
    Mar 7, 2012
    Southern MD
    According to the decision, those three reference probably aren't even necessary. Anyone daring to submit w/o those references? LOL.

BTW: Stay was filed today.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/breaking/bs-md-stay-gun-ruling-20120308,0,4550765.story

Dunno if my application will be sent in on time...damn.....

Filed but not granted yet i hope!?
    My application will arrive tomorrow :-(

Fully expect a delay or denial anyway, but how can you put a price on freedom?

Amazing, they're wasting our tax dollars fighting us, the law abiding, tax paying citizens who employ them, and fear that allowing licensed, qualified people to protect our lives may result in an "unspeakingly tragic act of mayham?!" Criminals pay taxes & pass the FBI background check? Really? I know, I'm preaching to the chior.

dlmcbm

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2011
    Sabillasville, Md.
    Filed but not granted yet i hope!?
    My application will arrive tomorrow :-(

Fully expect a delay or denial anyway, but how can you put a price on freedom?

Amazing, they're wasting our tax dollars fighting us, the law abiding, tax paying citizens who employ them, and fear that allowing licensed, qualified people to protect our lives may result in an "unspeakingly tragic act of mayham?!" Criminals pay taxes & pass the FBI background check? Really? I know, I'm preaching to the chior.

I read that the plaintiffs are planing on replying to the stay on next Friday. May be for a chance for most of us to get apps in. :innocent0

fxdunigan

MSI Executive Member
    Mar 7, 2012
    Southern MD
    When you guys say LiveScan/background check, what's the background check part about? Are we talking about commercial fingerprint providers?

YES.
    This MD DPSCS site explains all the details including a list of providers close to you.
    http://www.dpscs.state.md.us/publicservs/fingerprint.shtml

Scroll past the provider list and you will notice the recurring $37.25 price for the background check that is referenced on forms and by members...

"Full background [state and FBI]for authorized agencies only"

I presume they consider the MDSP an authorized agency, but it does say no information is given to the commercial provider. That is why you need to give the MDSP your receipt... so they can obtain the results using your applicant and tracking numbers that are printed on it...
    http://www.mdshooters.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=54074&d=1331150439

Last edited:

dlmcbm

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2011
    Sabillasville, Md.
    Have a link to that part of the saga? Would like to read and follow that storyline.

Sorry it says that they will respond BY next Friday

From his Facebook page @ around 12AM 3/8/2012

Michael Smigiel

Today I met and spoke with Chairman Vallario and Vice Chair Dumais of the Judiciary Committee, then later, Asst. AG Dan Friedman, and later still Chairman Frosh of Judicial Proceedings to discuss options going forward to address complying with the Woollard decision. I learned the AG would be filing thier decision today and made arrangements to obtain and post a copy for everyone to be able to read. The plaintiff's will file their response by next Friday, March 16, 2011.

fxdunigan

MSI Executive Member
    Mar 7, 2012
    Southern MD
    Sorry it says that they will respond BY next Friday

From his Facebook page @ around 12AM 3/8/2012

Michael Smigiel

Today I met and spoke with Chairman Vallario and Vice Chair Dumais of the Judiciary Committee, then later, Asst. AG Dan Friedman, and later still Chairman Frosh of Judicial Proceedings to discuss options going forward to address complying with the Woollard decision. I learned the AG would be filing thier decision today and made arrangements to obtain and post a copy for everyone to be able to read. The plaintiff's will file their response by next Friday, March 16, 2011.

adding him to my Facebook likes now :)

Yoboney

Sep 2, 2008
    For the references portion can I put down a coworker?

You can put down anyone you like but make sure they can be trusted. I have seen people get slammed by references that say things that are not good..like all people should be able to carry guns if he/she can..etc. So tell them what you are doing first.

HoCoShooter

Ultimate Member
    Feb 25, 2009
    Howard County
    An Officer at the Licensing division told me yesterday that 2 x 2 inch photos are fine and that they have been trying to change the wording on the app for some time but haven't gotten around to it. And for what it's worth, he was very friendly and helpful.

wlc

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2006
    From the Sun article

Maryland State Police spokesman Gregory Shipley said the agency, which oversees the permit process, will not be making any permit decisions solely on the "good and substantial reason" requirement until "the court clarifies its position" based on the attorney general's request.

SkunkWerX

Ultimate Member
    Jul 17, 2010
    MoCo/HoCo border
    An Officer at the Licensing division told me yesterday that 2 x 2 inch photos are fine and that they have been trying to change the wording on the app for some time but haven't gotten around to it. And for what it's worth, he was very friendly and helpful.

Thank you for verifying this! I will update the beginning of the thread.

SkunkWerX

Ultimate Member
    Jul 17, 2010
    MoCo/HoCo border
    Quote:
    Maryland State Police spokesman Gregory Shipley said the agency, which oversees the permit process, will not be making any permit decisions solely on the "good and substantial reason" requirement until "the court clarifies its position" based on the attorney general's request.

This is actually good news. It shows intent to comply with the clarification requested by the AG. Doesn't mean they won't drag their feet, or try other shenanigans, however, if anything, it shows they are cognizant of the decision, upcoming changes, and clarification.

OnTarget

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2009
    WV
    Did you all just place your pictures inside the application and NOT staple them to the form? I don't want them to be separated from the form.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom