• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Doing my due diligence before educating the. Public , making sure I'm not missing anything .

SB 35 - In definition of * Crime of Violence * , Distribution of CDS , and Intent thereof , would be treated the same as any other Felony While Armed , instead of having a specific carve out . Anything else I'm overlooking ? For that matter wouldn't that be a positive change ?

SB 39 - Adds Andersen Mfg AM-15 in .223 and .300 by Name to the Evil List .

Huh ? Is there somthing unique and/ or rulebending about these rifles ? Are these typical AR pattern rifles ? Is there somthing about the name Andersen that is offensive to Democrat sensibilities ?

And while I'm keeping up to date , what's the up to the minute status on the HPRB Veto Override ? Anything happen ? What does the timeclock lok like ?

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    On SB35, why would it be positive? People get charged with intent to distribute all the time when they are arrested with more than an individual serving size of drugs.

Beyond that, it isn’t a violent crime. One thing if you are arrested armed and in possession of an amount that indicates you are likely a dealer or courier or drugs. But unarmed? There are dealers who are completely non-violent and we shouldn’t be trumping up charges.

Agree or not, probably 10% of US Citizens have been marijuana dealers at some point in their life because they sold a friend $100 of pot or something.

3paul10

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 6, 2012
    Western Maryland
    On SB35, why would it be positive? People get charged with intent to distribute all the time when they are arrested with more than an individual serving size of drugs.

Beyond that, it isn’t a violent crime. One thing if you are arrested armed and in possession of an amount that indicates you are likely a dealer or courier or drugs. But unarmed? There are dealers who are completely non-violent and we shouldn’t be trumping up charges.

Agree or not, probably 10% of US Citizens have been marijuana dealers at some point in their life because they sold a friend $100 of pot or something.

agreed.

geda

Dec 24, 2017
    cowcounty
    The anderson lowers are the cheap kind that that you can get for $30 before transfer. One local store I know had a whole shelf of them and was doing a "buy any pistol get a lower" sale so I have several. Perhaps a Democrat walked into a store, looked at the boxes, and said to themselves "that looks like a good gun to ban in order to further my career!". It probably does not help that those boxes were the only firearm in the store that you could read the name of without picking up.

GolfR

Ultimate Member
    Oct 20, 2016
    Columbia MD
    The anderson lowers are the cheap kind that that you can get for $30 before transfer. One local store I know had a whole shelf of them and was doing a "buy any pistol get a lower" sale so I have several. Perhaps a Democrat walked into a store, looked at the boxes, and said to themselves "that looks like a good gun to ban in order to further my career!". It probably does not help that those boxes were the only firearm in the store that you could read the name of without picking up.

The Dayton Ohio shooter a few months back used an Anderson AR pistol. There was an article about Frosh being appalled that they weren’t banned in MD and wants them to be.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    The Dayton Ohio shooter a few months back used an Anderson AR pistol. There was an article about Frosh being appalled that they weren’t banned in MD and wants them to be.

Oh, Good Lord.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    As currently defined , commiting ANY Felony while armed is classified as. * Crime of Violence * , except for CDS distribution . Insider stock trading , digging a ditch 5 feet too close to wetland , etc while armed counts , and they're non violent. No reason to give drug dealers preferentially treatment ahead of every other non- violent felon .

The argument can also be made that the illegal drug trade in its entirety is inherently causing violence , and even if the particular armed drug dealer isn't doing so at the moment of arrest , they are still in support of overall violent industry .

Now , if we want to comprehensively reform this , we need to just remove the entire section dealing with " commit felony while armed " , and keep it to the enumerated specific offenses .

( And real legalization would greatly decrease the inherently violent nature , but that's a seperate hot button endless debate .)

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

They are banned.

The rifle as a copy of the Colt AR-15.

The pistol by virtue of not being on the handgun roster list.

k9guy

Feb 12, 2011
    What about all of the other AR pistols in .223 & 300 blackout that are on the roster? There are a lot of different manufacturers that already have their products approved and on the list.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    If you already have a registered SBR with an Anderson AM-15 lower, is it effected by the (potential) new law? So in this case; started out as an AR pistol.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    If you already have a registered SBR with an Anderson AM-15 lower, is it effected by the (potential) new law? So in this case; started out as an AR pistol.

Hard to say. By definition, a pistol is not on the (r)(2) list. The list also doesn't include any SBRs that I can see (someone please correct me if that is wrong). So it is hard to say whether this bill would ban it in SBR configuration.

shershot99

Mar 22, 2010
    Carroll County
    They are banned.

The rifle as a copy of the Colt AR-15.

The pistol by virtue of not being on the handgun roster list.

You can build an hbar rifle with an Anderson lower currently. Has to be an hbar though. This would most likely kill that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    You can build an hbar rifle with an Anderson lower currently. Has to be an hbar though. This would most likely kill that.

Totally unclear. Anderson lowers are mostly marked AM-15 Multical

The thing though is, an HBAR on an AM-15 lower isn’t actually an Anderson AM-15, which is a full rifle from Anderson. A copy of it has an M4 profile barrel as that is what the AM-15 in .223 from Anderson is.

Unless the Colt HBAR Sporter is struck from the list, banning all HBARs, an AM-15 lower with an HBAR upper is more properly a Colt HBAR clone than it is an Anderson AM-15 clone.

They are both of course parts interchangeable. But the Colt HBAR has a very specific exemption.

shershot99

Mar 22, 2010
    Carroll County

The thing though is, an HBAR on an AM-15 lower isn’t actually an Anderson AM-15, which is a full rifle from Anderson. A copy of it has an M4 profile barrel as that is what the AM-15 in .223 from Anderson is.

Unless the Colt HBAR Sporter is struck from the list, banning all HBARs, an AM-15 lower with an HBAR upper is more properly a Colt HBAR clone than it is an Anderson AM-15 clone.

They are both of course parts interchangeable. But the Colt HBAR has a very specific exemption.

This state makes me want to smack my head against a wall. I know dozens of people in Maryland with Anderson lowers built into various calibers (all hbar). Those are supposed to be 100% legal as they are hbars. This bill of course seems to make any Anderson in 223 and 300 illegal with no grandfather. Unreal.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011

One minor issue...

MSP currently bans anything "Bushmaster", including the lowers, so anything built on an Anderson AM-15 lower could potentially become banned, if the past is any indication.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    One minor issue...

MSP currently bans anything "Bushmaster", including the lowers, so anything built on an Anderson AM-15 lower could potentially become banned, if the past is any indication.

Bushmaster is banned by name. The Anderson lower by a specific model. I am not sure if that's the same.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom