• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    In truth, the deadline is Sine Die. The bill hopper deadlines are merely suggestions - if they want something bad enough, there are ways to get it done until the gavels fall at midnight on Sine Die.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    In truth, the deadline is Sine Die. The bill hopper deadlines are merely suggestions - if they want something bad enough, there are ways to get it done until the gavels fall at midnight on Sine Die.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

And they don't even follow their own rules when they don't feel like it.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    And they don't even follow their own rules when they don't feel like it.

Why are citizens powerless against this abuse of power? We either just take what they dish out, or start shooting. There should be a formal complaint process where the legislators face consequences for breaking the rules. No matter who is in power.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Why are citizens powerless against this abuse of power? We either just take what they dish out, or start shooting. There should be a formal complaint process where the legislators face consequences for breaking the rules. No matter who is in power.

There used to be rules of decorum for legislators, too. Del. Atterbeary has now demonstrated that custom has also been abolished for those she doesn't like.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    There used to be rules of decorum for legislators, too. Del. Atterbeary has now demonstrated that custom has also been abolished for those she doesn't like.

The People should not have to put up with such contempt for our system of government from those elected to office.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    It's always said in jest (at least how we project it) but I think it's time we actually tar and feather some of these people, starting with her.

I am in full agreement. This is getting absurd. She is not what the framers envision, UNLESS tar and feathers were in the equation.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County

She's following in Del Dumais' footsteps. Arrogant, abrasive, and ultimately as (un) influential with her Democrat Party peers as Dumais is.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    The People should not have to put up with such contempt for our system of government from those elected to office.

These people have learned from Baltimore thugs that if there are no adverse consequences there is no limit to what they can do.

Or maybe Baltimore thugs learned from the GA that there will be no consequences to ignoring their laws.

Perhaps the time is coming when the law-abiding should join the rest of the law-ignoring. It's pretty lonely out here in Gerrymandistan.

Nickberg500

Ultimate Member
    Sep 20, 2019
    North of Baltimore County
    I am thinking that I will devote any future oral testimony this year towards the topics of common sense and "if it saves just one life". I'll happily mix in others if they are of the same ilk. My time-limited argument about the bill's Cyclomatic Complexity was just too much for them, even though it is true as Kentucky windage on a calm day.

As a software developer I appreciated your testimony. I was the eagle scout atterbeary wanted to remind of the shooting range exception for the second or third time while ignoring my previous objections.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    As a software developer I appreciated your testimony. I was the eagle scout atterbeary wanted to remind of the shooting range exception for the second or third time while ignoring my previous objections.

Thanks. I think I needed about 30 more seconds to tie it together. My written testimony was completely different. I had a few topics that I was prepared to discuss in oral testimony, and I picked that one after having not heard any discussion of the bill's complexity.

They either don't realize it or don't care, but every one of those exceptions they add makes the bill more complex. Higher complexity will mean that people will likely not realize they are breaking the law until they have. It's too complicated to follow. There's a reason phone numbers, zip codes, and social security numbers are split into smaller groups. People can remember about 3-5 things before losing it.

They have 13 relations defined for immediate family plus the unstated "not immediate family". They have 6 actions defined for transfer plus the unstated "not a transfer", and then they add with or without consideration. Then, you have another 12 exceptions that may apply depending on the circumstances.

On the surface, the casual reader would think that HB4 has it all covered. After all, it has all of the above, right? The bill, if passed, will likely lead to the creation of a new criminal class in MD, "the formerly law-abiding gun owner". Up to 5 years and up to $10K. No stated requirement for mens rea. (now that I understand what that means)

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    She's following in Del Dumais' footsteps. Arrogant, abrasive, and ultimately as (un) influential with her Democrat Party peers as Dumais is.

Dumais would at least let you answer a question or provide a rebuttal.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Dumais would at least let you answer a question or provide a rebuttal.

Agreed. I've been testifying since 2013. I have never been treated that rudely. Maybe someone should remind Del. Atterbeary of Article 13 of the MD Declaration of Rights:
    Art. 13. That every man hath a right to petition the Legislature for the redress of grievances in a peaceable and orderly manner.

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    Agreed. I've been testifying since 2013. I have never been treated that rudely. Maybe someone should remind Del. Atterbeary of Article 13 of the MD Declaration of Rights:

Art. 13. That every man hath a right to petition the Legislature for the redress of grievances in a peaceable and orderly manner.
    Is there any legal recourse for this stuff? If they pass a law while violating their procedural rules, any legal recourse?

If not, what good are the rules?

Kicken Wing

Snakes and Sparklers
    Apr 5, 2014
    WASH-CO
    What would be their reaction if someone reminded them that they work for me and I pay their salaries?

I would love to hear someone say that to Atterbeary during testimony. $100.00 goes to the first person during testimony that gets interrupted or interrogated by her and says, "this is the House of the people, not the house of Vanessa Atterbeary." :D

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    I would love to hear someone say that to Atterbeary during testimony. $100.00 goes to the first person during testimony that gets interrupted or interrogated by her and says, "this is the House of the people, not the house of Vanessa Atterbeary." :D

Whoever did it would probably be immediately ejected, but the video would be worth it.

Her bill didn't pass last year pretty much solely because she irritated her fellow Democrat legislators. If she keeps it up, her bills will get desk drawered in committee. Zirkin may be gone, but I get the feeling he wasn't the only Senator who can't stand her and her entitlement attitude.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom