• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    Its Paw Paw time. My buddy and I went out yesterday afternoon and gathered 10 gallons pretty quick. Found lots fell down too early and all soft an mushy already. The old ones feel like dog $hit when you step on one. ;) Shook some of the trees to get some fresher ones to keep.

I brought my hunting murse (black squirrel bag) back full of them to get seeds to plant and my daughter to make some smoothies with them.

The 10 gallons will be dropped at one of our stands to evaluate how much they attract the deer. They must work fairly well as the Paw Paw is starting to take of the under story in parts of this farm.

BearArms

Sep 25, 2013
    Upper Marlboro
    The 10 gallons will be dropped at one of our stands to evaluate how much they attract the deer. They must work fairly well as the Paw Paw is starting to take of the under story in parts of this farm.

Let's just say that I've seen numerous stands located adjacent to, or within paw paw stands. The deer are fond of them, unfortunately if my wife and I are paw pawing them we usually accidentally piss off some archers. Whoops.

We make ice cream, custard, smoothies, and bread out of ours. I usually bring some to work as a curiosity for my coworkers who aren't outdoors folks.

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    Paw Paw is like a green oblong thin skinned fruit with huge seeds. Taste like a banana with better flavor. Consistency is like a mushy mango.

Paw Paw cut open
    20140915-pawpaws-americas-best-secret-fruit-pawpaws-cut-closeup-samara-linnell.jpg

Looks like a small Hickory tree with huge leaves except they are not compound leave like Hickory
    pawpaw.JPG

C&O canal is a good place you can do where hunter will not be. Near rivers and creeks is where you find them the best. People also call it "Indian Banana" as the Indians eat them and they taste like Banana/Mango mix and its yellow. We do not eat the skin or the seeds. I for 20 or so seeds I am planting in my woodlot to eat and attract deer and hopefully they grow. They only grow in the under story and I was told they don't do well if you transplant them into full sun.

Archeryrob

Mar 7, 2013
    You almost need a hard hat. Shake the tree and put your hands over your head quick. :D The ones on the ground can be eaten are are usually black and the ants get at them very quick.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Just remember.....

Now when you pick a pawpaw
    Or a prickly pear
    And you prick a raw paw
    Next time beware
    Don't pick the prickly pear by the paw
    When you pick a pear