• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Goose Guy

Skooma lord
    Mar 29, 2010
    People's Respublik of Maryland
    There is always some ssort of learning curve with that. At first, there will probably be a couple idiots out there OCing something rediculous, but that is likely to go down after some time. I'm more worried about the public's knee-jerk reaction to open carry than anything to do with concealed carry.

BondJamesBond

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 2, 2009
    Are you a betting man? :innocent0

Yes, I am betting that MOM will still be governor in 24 months. I am betting that neither the General Assembly, nor the voters, nor the Governor, nor the Maryland Court Of Appeals, nor the 4th Circuit Court of Appeals, nor SCOTUS will never make shall issue the law of the land in Maryland.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    Yes, I am betting that MOM will still be governor in 24 months. I am betting that neither the General Assembly, nor the voters, nor the Governor, nor the Maryland Court Of Appeals, nor the 4th Circuit Court of Appeals, nor SCOTUS will never make shall issue the law of the land in Maryland.

Would you make that analogous to the belief that the average citizen will not be able to legally carry a firearm for the purposes of self defense in 24 months? Just clearing up potential loopholes by making it as simple as possible.

BondJamesBond

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Nov 2, 2009
    Would you make that analogous to the belief that the average citizen will not be able to legally carry a firearm for the purposes of self defense in 24 months? Just clearing up potential loopholes by making it as simple as possible.

The "average citizen" will not be able to legally carry a firearm outside their property for self defense within the next 24 months in Maryland.

It's as easy as saying tomorrow is Thursday and just as difficult to change.

Boondock Saint

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2008
    White Marsh
    The "average citizen" will not be able to legally carry a firearm outside their property for self defense within the next 24 months in Maryland.

It's as easy as saying tomorrow is Thursday and just as difficult to change.

Works for me. How much would you like to bet? Loser donates to the WWP or some other worthy cause?

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    Boxcab, I recommend you clean up the points that make the antis look stupid and submit that to news sources around the state.

It's going to be up to us and MSI to do some margin of educating, though letters to the editor, facebook and generally bringing up the subject every chance you get.

I just typed in "shall issue maryland" and the first 3 hits were MSI. I typed in "gun laws mayrland" and MSI didn't show up until page 3.

foxtrapper

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2007
    Havre de Grace
    Open carry will be the bigger issue, plus anyone CCing who prints or has their shirt ride up. I'm spoiled from going into PA, but I'm not stupid! I wouldn't just assume that Hereford will be like Shrewsbury, and go la de da to Grauls while OCing ( to peruse the bison products selection he he). Heck I haven't even had the nerve to OC at the Walmart or Giant in Shrewsbury.

The culture re: guns in southern York county PA is much different than most of central MD. People seem to plain know that ordinary folks carry guns, and even open carry does not create some scene, wether it is a solo OCer or a group gathering at a restaurant. You could park at the Walmart lot with a dead 10 pt buck deer in the back of your truck, pop the tailgate, and get guys walking by say " oh wow, nice buck!". I guess York county is rednecky LOL. Gotta love that Pennsyltucky!

An example of "rediculous OC" has even occured at the east York Walmart. I'll take the guy's word that he was telling me the truth. Devin has a gun store in Shrewsbury and I was there shortly after it opened talking to him. He told me that a few years back he was at York college taking a psych class among other things. The prof assigned the students to do a social experiment in public involving something different and weird that is also legal, then to write about it. He says he decided to do an OC experiment, and went to this Walmart for about 3 hours while OCing a hogleg S&W 500. He says that people did notice, some didn't seem comfy, but that he never saw any police, and the manager of the store was not to be seen, nor loss prevention. In other words, it must not be that big of a deal! I'm not sure, but it could have been deer rifle hunting season when he did it ( you can hunt with a revolver in this season as well), so people might have thought he was just a goofy deer hunter. There are alot of hunters in York county, as is the whole state of PA. In general he prefers CC though, though he OC's in his store. He has no problem with customers OCing either.

matt_b89

Apr 5, 2011
    Allegany County/Frostburg
    the thing that scares me most is the person who will resort to using a gun first instead of thinking...just because they can. you think propaganda is bad now...just wait until it's "legalized" and joe blow gets mugged by a 15 year old kid in Baltimore and blows him away. What will we do then??

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Boxcab, I recommend you clean up the points that make the antis look stupid and submit that to news sources around the state.

It's going to be up to us and MSI to do some margin of educating, though letters to the editor, facebook and generally bringing up the subject every chance you get.

I just typed in "shall issue maryland" and the first 3 hits were MSI. I typed in "gun laws mayrland" and MSI didn't show up until page 3.

I totally agree, this makes a great foundation for a national article, and Boxcab brought up some excellent points.

Maybe you didn't find it till page three because you spelled it: "mayrland" :)

----

To address a couple of your questions, as many of you know, I've carried (legally) both openly and concealed most of my adult life, on duty and off. I really like how you put your support for both OC and CCW, but prefer CCW, that's exactly how I feel as well. I already have lock boxes for my vehicles, and I'm already very tolerant of others exercising their other rights. At this point, anything is better than what we have now, and I for one trust our civil society to 'police' itself against overtly criminal behavior. I believe it will go down just like the other (now 'Shall Issue') states, mostly peaceful and in the long run, will have a positive reduction in violent crime.

Just like a guy said to me the other day at BassPro shops Gun laws and CCW orientation (full-house); when criminals don't know who's packin'... the good guys win!

haoleboy

1/2 Banned
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 17, 2005
    Dentsville
    the thing that scares me most is the person who will resort to using a gun first instead of thinking...just because they can. you think propaganda is bad now...just wait until it's "legalized" and joe blow gets mugged by a 15 year old kid in Baltimore and blows him away. What will we do then??
    I understand what you are saying, but would you feel better if it was an 18 yr old?
    IMHO, 15 yrs is Plenty old enough to know better.

oldman12

Ultimate Member
    Sep 19, 2010
    "Merrica" Eastern Camp
    I understand what you are saying, but would you feel better if it was an 18 yr old?
    IMHO, 15 yrs is Plenty old enough to know better.

Sad but agree to some extant. While working in Randallstown the station owner got the crap beat out of him cause he caught a 14 yr old stealing candy. A thug is a thug regardless of age.

krucam

Ultimate Member
    This will take effort and some scratch no matter how it is approached. We can look at recent 'comparable' states who have gone to Shall Issue, but there really aren't any. So...

Publicity. We'll need it, can we afford it? Lets not reinvent the wheel. Still shots ala Oleg Volk. Billboards in Annapolis? I STILL want to set up an Adopt-a-Highway coming in/out of Annapolis. I'd be there every weekend with my empty holster cleaning up Hwy 70 coming into town!

Howzabout Oleg Volk themed billboards, in addition to Adopt-a-Highway? We're still talking relatively cheap here.

This "stuff" would require the help of a friendly reporter from the B'more Sun or Wa'Post. If we do not engrain within mainstream (liberal) media, we will be fugged. Plain & Simple. These people are not the enemies, they're just not educated. Someone is out there that we can reach. Really.

Guns are not the enemy. Gun owners are not the enemy. The State trying to take away your options is the enemy.

cobra

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2009
    White Marsh
    Box great post.
    You raise so many good guestions that probally most have not considered.
    As an example. Even tho many of us have non resident CCW permits.
    How many actually use them?
    What was your first impression or experience when being able to legally CCW.
    How many like myself felt like everyone was looking at me to check out if I might be carrying the first time I legally CCW.

Not only will the CCW permit owners feel awkward.

The general puplic also will feel uncomfortqble knowing " almost" anyone could be carrying a firearm "legally" and not be a criminal.

Yea it's going to be a steep learning curve on the part of the puplic and getting them to feel comfortable with the fact that ordinary citizens can carry legally a firearm.
    About as far a foriegn concept to Maryland as there ever could be.
    Imagine people actually being able to legally carry a gun.

Big pill for most to swallow:)

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    The only thing scarier to a MD politician than an armed law abiding citizen is a tax cut.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom