Places to sleep in OC or DE Indian river inlet in my car.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pleasant1911

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    My friend and I want to go inlet OC or DE this Saturday. Are there any public spots where we can park my car and get some sleep or take a short night time nap in my car, without breaking any laws or having the LEO come check us out, while or if we are sleepeing.

I just need a place to nap/sleep for 3-4 hours between fishing, bc I know I will be able to stay up all night.

Can I park and sleep in the OC parking lot. Can I park overnight at the Indian River Inlet.

Any Advice would be very helpful.

303_enfield

Ultimate Member
    May 30, 2007
    DelMarVa
    I've heard of people using Walmart parking lots for catching a few zzzz's. Should be one somewhere near there.

The one in Berlin (OC) is posted no overnight parking. Off the Island you just have to worry about MSP, WSD an being robbed. On the Island OCPD is overstaffed so your screwed.

Good luck finding a place to nap.

tom b

Oct 2, 2011
    The Indian river inlet gates get close dusk/dawn. You might away with going over to the bayside lot.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    I'm envious. I wanna fish. If you were to drive on the beach (with the proper permit of course) do they make you leave? Or is it that you want to fish the inlet rather than the surf?

delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    It’s been a VERY LONG time.

Check the north shore of Indian river. The road to the public boat marina may be open. Iirc the CG station is there and may have open access. Ditto the public marina.

As i said, it’s been a long time but that may have changed. We used to sleep on the boat. Customers in the lot for the early runs. Not sure they’d roust a car sleeper these days.

pleasant1911

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    I'm envious. I wanna fish. If you were to drive on the beach (with the proper permit of course) do they make you leave? Or is it that you want to fish the inlet rather than the surf?

Thanks guys for the advice.

I do not have permit for DE beach. Wanted to check out the tautog or flounder fishing. Never tried surf fishing in the winter time. But I was planning to bring my 12 footer along. That’s something I will do, since I will be there. Thx.

Used to go with my father, when I was younger. Had fun, learned some stuff, but out grew my dad’s interest like many teens do. Now I have kids, wished I stuck with it with dad. Trying to teach my kids how to fish for “game” at Delmarva without a boat. Even if they don’t do it as they get older, at least I showed them what’s out there.

bigdv

Ultimate Member
    May 17, 2010
    Calvert Co.
    Try and get lucky? Maybe go ugly early? get a place to crash and get a little rest. But 60 bucks a night Comfort Inn may be hard to beat.

Vetted84

Nov 8, 2016
    I understand the staff at Assateague are on furlough so you might be able to catch some z's down by the park.

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    WAAAY too early for flounder - Tog would be your targeted fish - good luck.

mferrari

May 3, 2010
    Eastern Shore
    The one in Berlin (OC) is posted no overnight parking. Off the Island you just have to worry about MSP, WSD an being robbed. On the Island OCPD is overstaffed so your screwed.

Good luck finding a place to nap.

What this guy said. Best bet if you don't want to break the law would be a hotel. Most are pretty cheap this time of year.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    Thanks guys for the advice.

I do not have permit for DE beach. Wanted to check out the tautog or flounder fishing. Never tried surf fishing in the winter time. But I was planning to bring my 12 footer along. That’s something I will do, since I will be there. Thx.

Used to go with my father, when I was younger. Had fun, learned some stuff, but out grew my dad’s interest like many teens do. Now I have kids, wished I stuck with it with dad. Trying to teach my kids how to fish for “game” at Delmarva without a boat. Even if they don’t do it as they get older, at least I showed them what’s out there.

Yea, I doubt the surf fishing will be any good but I have never tried this time of the year.

As for sleeping, you might try asking the folks at Old Inlet tackle shop. They may let you sleep in their lot, they may not, but I bet you won't have been the first person to ask.

I was going to get a permit to drive on the beach but for non-resident it is like $185 or something. That just wouldn't be worth it for me. I just carry my gear out to the beach. If I went 15-20 times a year, it would be worth it.

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    On the Island OCPD is overstaffed so you're screwed.

No joke! I was there this same weekend, but I got a hotel :D. There was a cop sitting at EVERY 3RD INTERSECTION! I felt like I was in a fish bowl. I was there to hunt, so I was traveling from ~100th street down to the inlet at 4am, and it was just me and a dozen cops on the road. Make sure all of your lights are working!

My friend and I want to go inlet OC or DE this Saturday. Are there any public spots where we can park my car and get some sleep or take a short night time nap in my car, without breaking any laws or having the LEO come check us out, while or if we are sleepeing.

I just need a place to nap/sleep for 3-4 hours between fishing, bc I know I will be able to stay up all night.

Can I park and sleep in the OC parking lot. Can I park overnight at the Indian River Inlet.

Any Advice would be very helpful.
    I know this is past your trip, but for next time, if you are on the sand and fishing, you can be there all night. I don't know if that extends to the pier or not. You are supposed to be actively fishing when on the sand, but if you nod off for a couple hours, there's not really anyone close to find out.

In my younger days I would do "Hell runs" to fish an evening, all night, and the morning, then drive home. Couldn't be done without a few winks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Curtis6789

Latest threads

Top Bottom