• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NattyBoh

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2010
    So I normally fish bass but curious about some cold water fishing. The ponds are freezing over now but I was thinking of fishing the Bay and it's rivers. Like the Magothy , Patapaco, and the other smaller rivers etc.

Here is where Im at... I have St.Croix Avid Xs that I use for bass in M and MH. Could I use those rods and just get a saltwater reel for them or maybe get something cheaper like a Bass Pro rod for salt and just use that versus using the St.Croixs that I have?

Do you need Uber sensitivity like when fishing for bass if I were to fish say the Patapsaco from the beach? Or maybe Beachwood park?

Thanks guys...

Ideally fishing from the bank/beach I'd need to cast it out there a ways...

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    You have nice rods, why by a cheap one? IMO, I would stick with the Avid and get yourself a Shimano Baitrunner 4500 series and line it with some 20 lb braid; just because I am a Shimano fan, but you can pick a similar reel from whomever. This will allow you to cast out a good ways from the land and nothing is smoother than the Avid and a good Shimano whether it be a Stella, Stradic or whatever you like. I think you get what you pay for in a reel.

The way I look at it you can't have too much sensitivity in a rod. Depending on the time of year and the size of the fish, the aggressiveness of the bite will vary (but you know that already). You may catch Croaker, Perch, Rock, Trout in the bay, so it is better to be prepared. I have an Avid but it is for surf fishing. I typically use Ugly Sticks from a 5' H to a 6.5' M in the Bay unless I am trolling for Rockfish. I hate trolling. The baitrunner is good for live bait but just as good for chumming or letting it sit on the bottom for perch.

I am sure you will get many more opinions though.

winch

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2011
    Towson
    I just bought a St. Croix rod earlier this year and frankly I would not worry about the salt water issue if you fish the upper bay. The model recommended by Tochterman's was PS66MF2 with a Shimano 4000 reel. Good for all around upper bay fishing.

on_the_rox

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2009
    Whiteford, MD
    Keep in mind that if you are talking about cold water fishing you will be limited in what's available to catch. Right now there is probably some crappie biting and the yellow perch will be along shortly if not in spots right now.

NattyBoh

Ultimate Member
    Jul 29, 2010
    so you think its still possible to catch something even though its pretty cold? Beachwood isnt bad as there is many species of fish in that area..

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    As rods go, you should look at 'saltwater series' rods. They tend to have stouter butt sections than most bass rods with maybe the exception of flipping sticks. You'll want the extra leveragability with the larger species.

ChannelCat

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Others can chime in on this and correct me, but effective saltwater (tidal) fishing from shore might be done for the most part until the yellow perch spawn in February. Although, pickerel can be had in January, most people that I lave heard of are catching pickerel from a boat, canoe, or kayak. As for boat fishing, Point Lookout is on fire right now for rockfish, but the fishery closes this Thursday the 21st except for catch and release.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom