• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ragnar

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2013
    Berkeley Springs, WV
    I was shooting my Sig P226 9mm this afternoon and I had a malfunction. The slide now won't pull back. It's stuck in the closed position. The recoil spring guide is protruding a little from the front of the slide. There appears to be a live round in the chamber, but the gun won't shoot, either DA or SA. Any suggestions before I call Sig on Monday?

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I was shooting my Sig P226 9mm this afternoon and I had a malfunction. The slide now won't pull back. It's stuck in the closed position. The recoil spring guide is protruding a little from the front of the slide. There appears to be a live round in the chamber, but the gun won't shoot, either DA or SA. Any suggestions before I call Sig on Monday?

You can call Sig, but you might have it taken care of locally. No way you can send it back to them until the round is out of the chamber. They may have some info on how to get it unstuck however. Good luck.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    You can call Sig, but you might have it taken care of locally. No way you can You shouldn't send it back to them until the round is out of the chamber. They may have some info on how to get it unstuck however. Good luck.

I have gotten firearms sent in for repair with a live round in the chamber or stuck in the magazine (usually a magazine tube on a shotgun). Verify that the projectile has fired by sticking a cleaning rod all the way down the bore and see how far it goes. Mark the end, then check it against the outside of the barrel/slide assembly. If it goes nearly to the breech face, you know there's no live round.

Take it to a qualified gunsmith or SIG Armorer ASAP.

Gcs7th

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2012
    AGC
    I have gotten firearms sent in for repair with a live round in the chamber or stuck in the magazine (usually a magazine tube on a shotgun). Verify that the projectile has fired by sticking a cleaning rod all the way down the bore and see how far it goes. Mark the end, then check it against the outside of the barrel/slide assembly. If it goes nearly to the breech face, you know there's no live round.

Take it to a qualified gunsmith or SIG Armorer ASAP.

Good advice. Try that first ^. I find it unusual that the slide would be locked up in battery with a live round. How did you notice the malfunction? Did you force the gun into battery to fully chamber the round?

I would definitely contact the manufacturer of the reloads too, thats the reason I only shoot new ammunition.

Ragnar

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2013
    Berkeley Springs, WV
    I did not force the slide forward. I noticed the malfunction when the gun failed to fire. I did the cleaning rod test, and there does indeed seem to be an unfired round in the chamber. The slide is stuck and won't pull back, but it does appear to be 2-3 mm short of fully forward. I plan to call Sig in the morning. Thanks for the suggestions.

Gcs7th

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2012
    AGC
    Not sure if this is the best advice as it could potentially be dangerous but, this forum seems to address the same issue you describe. I would consult a professional however, I wound imagine if you were to fill the barrel with WD-40 and let it soak into the live round for a few days it should greatly minimize the risks associated with trying to force it out the round with the method described in this forum. It also might help free up the bind by reducing the friction between the round and chamber and you might not need to apply any extra force.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/archive/index.php/t-551841.html

Ragnar

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2013
    Berkeley Springs, WV
    Not sure if this is the best advice as it could potentially be dangerous but, this forum seems to address the same issue you describe. I would consult a professional however, I wound imagine if you were to fill the barrel with WD-40 and let it soak into the live round for a few days it should greatly minimize the risks associated with trying to force it out the round with the method described in this forum. It also might help free up the bind by reducing the friction between the round and chamber and you might not need to apply any extra force.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/archive/index.php/t-551841.html

This was really helpful. I didn't need to use the brass dowel trick. I just pressed the front of the slide against the corner of my work bench and applied a little force, and the slide pushed back and the round popped out. The round doesn't appear to be out of spec, but I guess that's hard to tell just by looking.

I called Sig today, and they said I needed to get the round out before sending in the gun. After I got the round out, I field stripped the gun and tested the action and dry-fired using snap-caps. Everything appears normal, but I haven't fired it yet. I emailed the Sig guy tonight to see if they'll still take it back to check it out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom