• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Does anyone have either of these rifles or opinions about them? The CZ is less expensive but comes with no irons. Not sure that either is a tack driver but I really want a .22WMR semi auto and may have some unexpected play money coming my way.

kohburn

Resident MacGyver
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2008
    PAX NAS / CP MCAS
    CZ512 seems more like a ruger 1022

while the CMR30 is just an extended PMR30 pistol with a collapsing butt stock (still fully ambidextrous with 30 round magazines)

more a personal preference choice I think.

edit:
    looks like cz makes 3 variations on the cz512. the American has no irons, the standard semi-auto has irons, and then there is the tactical with a full rail.

https://cz-usa.com/product-category...bering=22-wmr&really_curr_tax=189-product_cat

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    In online reviews that I saw maybe a year or two back, the CZ 512 in 22 WMR (different versions) was typically more accurate than the CMR-30. I ended up getting the wood stocked CZ 512 in 22 WMR with iron sights - but if I were redoing, might go for the American stock version that lacks iron sights. I am very pleased with the rifle. It is the most accurate of 5 rifles that I have in 22 WMR (have tested a bunch of ammo with each), including bolt actions. For whatever reason, even if similar in some respects to a 10/22, I find it more fun to shoot (and recharge). It's one downfall is that for the 22 WMR version of the CZ 512, the largest mag that they sell has a 10-rd capacity (for maybe $20). For their 22 LR version, there's a 25-rd mag option.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Here are my last 100 yards 10-shot groups (from two different range sessions) using Hornady V-Max with the CZ 512 in 22 WMR. Squares are 1-inch on the side. Rifle is top notch for a semi-automatic in 22 WMR even if the shooter and (to some extent) the ammo are not.
    6bf07fb9a4c1d7360250c849c5fd4cee.jpg
    6a7e66a6a45cca7abae2a520e04f798c.jpg

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Fidelity, how's the overall build quality? I'm expecting better fit and finish for a CZ as opposed to a KT. Any issues with FTE/ FTF?

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    Fidelity, how's the overall build quality? I'm expecting better fit and finish for a CZ as opposed to a KT. Any issues with FTE/ FTF?
    It's on par with my other CZ rifles, which have all been a cut above Ruger rifles (which I like and plan to keep buying) and comparable in build quality to Japanese made Winchester/Browning rifles.

I've run close to 10 different brands of 22 WMR, and in the first thousand rounds, have had one FTF. It was a good primer strike, so attribute it to the ammo, which is of incredibly variable quality when it comes to 22 WMR. Mid level to premium 22 LR is made better, I think.

Anyway, if passing through Frederick, you can borrow it for a spell if you'd like.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Don't have the CZ but have handled them they are much more like a conventional rifle.

The CMR is a fine gun though it really fills a different nitch, mine has proven very accurate and reliable (would like a 2nd) but definitely doesn't have the solid shoulder weld and handling of a more conventional rifle.

That said I really really like my CMR its also insanely light and quick to handle. I just put a cheap reddot on it and look forward to seeing how it does with something more precise than the Magpul BUIS it came with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom