• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    on a scale of 0--5 what are the chances of ever getting a carry permit in this state?

If your have a real documented business and can demonstrate at least one good and substantial reason for the permit, 4 (if you have a clean mental health and criminal record).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    If your have a real documented business and can demonstrate at least one good and substantial reason for the permit, 4 (if you have a clean mental health and criminal record).

Umm, NO. If you are otherwise not prohibited and are the owner of a legitimate business it's a solid 5.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    In fact I have seen the MSP TRYING to push applicants at the HPRB into a business owner or employee permit because they do recognize that as G&S. Respectfully, I couldn't disagree with you more.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    For example, the inspectors ask questions about behavioral health and medications. Many behavioral health meds, such as Trazodone, are also used for non-behavioral purposes such as chronic insomnia. I know about this first hand because it came up during my interview and the inspector actually looked up the medication to confirm it. Many medications for neurological pain are also indicated for behavioral health.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    In fact I have seen the MSP TRYING to push applicants at the HPRB into a business owner or employee permit because they do recognize that as G&S. Respectfully, I couldn't disagree with you more.

Your experience doesn't obviate the fact that there are disqualifying factors that are subjective.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Supposing the background investigation is clean, training and documentation is squared away and provided, one WILL get a permit for running a business.

The entity I run isn’t at all wealthy, but it is active and I, a layman no differnt than anyone else here, was able to get a permit.

I highly recommend anyone who can show they conduct business apply. If not your own, your employer has the power to endorse you so long as they’ll request you be armed and provide the necessary documentation to the MSP with you.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    For example, the inspectors ask questions about behavioral health and medications. Many behavioral health meds, such as Trazodone, are also used for non-behavioral purposes such as chronic insomnia. I know about this first hand because it came up during my interview and the inspector actually looked up the medication to confirm it. Many medications for neurological pain are also indicated for behavioral health.

And yet you still got your permit. I won't disagree with anyone who says that there are rogue investigators employed by the LD who ask for way more documentation that other investigators or who go down the medication rabbit hole. Anyone who thinks that an interview conducted at the Waterloo Barracks will be exactly the same as one conducted at the Westminster Barracks for example, is delusional.

That being said I still disagree with your response to the question at an 80% rate.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    If it was only based on the legitimacy of the business and a clean criminal record, I'd agree with Stoveman and DC-W, but because there are inspectors who ask about behavioral health and medications, there are intangibles that nobody can predict.

knastera

Just another shooter
    May 6, 2013
    Baltimore County
    And yet you still got your permit. I won't disagree with anyone who says that there are rogue investigators employed by the LD who ask for way more documentation that other investigators or who go down the medication rabbit hole. Anyone who thinks that an interview conducted at the Waterloo Barracks will be exactly the same as one conducted at the Westminster Barracks for example, is delusional.

That being said I still disagree with your response to the question at an 80% rate.

I totally agree about the variation between barracks. I wouldn't say it was 80% either. I was working with a 1 to 5 scale and I chose an integer. With a fractional number, I'd pick something between 4 1/2 and 4 3/4.

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD

I was never asked any questions about my medical history or meds

I'm not really sure why they would even ask about medications. It isn't as if there is some large database that tells them what medications people have been prescribed. Nor is there a database of people who have ever gotten counseling. Everyone would like about that, and they have no way of checking.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    MD DMH has a record of people involuntarily committed and those who have a voluntary commitment of over 30 days.

MSP asks DMH to check that database when applying for an HQL or a W&C permit. If you are in it for either of the above reasons, you are denied.

Maybe they’re just trying to catch you in a lie.

Last edited:

motorcoachdoug

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I'm not really sure why they would even ask about medications. It isn't as if there is some large database that tells them what medications people have been prescribed. Nor is there a database of people who have ever gotten counseling. Everyone would like about that, and they have no way of checking.

You would be surprised about the medication database. People who have chronic pain and or spinal injury and are receiving narcotic medications every month to help deal with pain, are on a national data base of medications being proscribed every month to help them deal with the pain. That way if a person runs out or uses his monthly medications to fast before the month is over, they can not go to a local ER and or an ER 100 miles from home saying they "hurt their back" or other body parts where they would get a proscription for pain medication to help them until the end of the month. I do wonder if MSP has access to that list and if they do how do they get around violations of HIPPA ???

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    When I had surgery and was prescribed painkillers by my surgeon, I had to present my DL to the pharmacy, who copied it. Who knows where that info ends up.

I did not use them after they were prescribed. Glad I just toughed it out.

Applehd

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 26, 2012
    ...Anyone who thinks that an interview conducted at the Waterloo Barracks will be exactly the same as one conducted at the Westminster Barracks for example, is delusional...

What you did there... did not go unnoticed...:innocent0

LRoy

Jan 14, 2013
    My data point -

I applied mid June, using some self-employment as a basis. It’s 100% legit but also a part time thing, I have a full time “regular employee” job also. I did include last years tax return, copies of deposit slips, and maybe 6 months worth of reporting off my business checking account with my application. And of course triple checked I had all the other paperwork included (training, pictures, etc)

My permit was granted late August with what I gather is the normal restriction wording “valid only while conducting business...”

While I am not happy about having to jump through the hoops Maryland holds out there - in my case all interactions with MSP (including the in-person interview) were completely professional and even pleasant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom