• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KSFrostie

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2013
    Carroll County
    I know that it doesn't exisit yet. But I seriously want to see a 454 casull semi auto handgun. I think that might acutally convince me to get an HQL!!! :shocked:

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    If you're a vampire with a secret para-military force under orders of the Queen, you're good to go.

casull.jpg

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    W/ similar barrel lengths I think 50 AE and 454 Casull have very similar muzzle energies.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    45 WinMag or .50AE are options if you need to scratch that itch in an auto.

Rimmed cases are usually not a good fit in an auto platform though so I don't see the demand being enough to push a maker to do the .454 in an auto.

Brad

Mar 20, 2013
    Glen Arm
    Sounds like it would be fun but with the price of .454 and that you have to put effort in getting your hands on it I dont think it will be a big hit. I think Iv shot my .454 revolver maybe 5 times and only about 40 rounds of that were actually .454 due to the fact that almost nobody locally carries ammo for it. Granted I can order offline but by the time I click the "buy" button I have buyers remorse and just ship more 9mm or 7.62 x 39.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Interesting concept. I've been going over this idea on the 'just' 10mm build idea in a semi auto platform. The energy and recoil would make the 454 auto a poor antipersonnel setup. Hunting doesn't require high rates of fire. Revolvers have a more practical size and are more durable in magnum class cartridges.
    The 454 auto would have the cool factor, though.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Im not seeing it, I only shoot 454 out of a lever gun where it is a kitten.

Out of a handgun I dont know, but that is a long cartrige and would require shrek size hands for the grip.

johnnyb2

Ultimate Member
    Apr 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    While up Bollinger's recently, a guy offered to let me shoot his .454 Casull revolver. Man, what a handful, before I pulled the trigger!Q! :-) After 2-3 shots, I handed it back and thanked him for the opportunity to shoot it. DAMN, what a harsh recoil to it. Too much for me. A .44 S&W magnum would be the most I could live with, and plenty of power for what ever I could need it for :-).

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    You have to outbid collectors , but there are two answers for you : Whidley . AutoMag .

If you actually wanted it to be quasi-practical , and shoot it semi-regularily , get a .460Rowland or .44Mag Desert Eagle, and declare Victory.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    If you're a vampire with a secret para-military force under orders of the Queen, you're good to go.

casull.jpg

;) Closest thing you can get without building one from scratch is a Grizzly in 45win mag, or convert a 1911 to 460Rowland, now a 10+ inch longslide may be a bit more difficult.

freddie

Mar 20, 2013
    I like your thinking - I really enjoy high caliber handguns - only a few shots each time but thrilling.

I have S&W 460M which shoots 45 colt, 454 and 460. Very heavy handgun helps, but still packs a punch.

Hand size isn't an issue - I have small hands - reach to trigger is just right.

Unfortunately I agree with other poster(s) not large enough market for semi-auto.

trbon8r

Ultimate Member
    I've got a Grizzly .45 Win Mag. Great gun, and lots of fun. With a 230 grain FMJ it clocked 1392 feet per second with my handloads out of Alucard's chronograph at one of the MDS shoots at Delmarva. That is no joke for sure, basically .44 magnum ballistics in an autoloading pistol. It is about the coolest big bore pistol next to the .44 Auto Mag. The Grizzly is also a screaming deal at around $1k in the world of "niche" firearms.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I shot a Grizzly with WinMag ammo years back. It was fun, but the grip frame was deep front to back.

As noted, the Rowland is as close to the 454 in an auto as one would get. The 454 ballistics are well beyond what the 460 Rowland delivers. Probably the only way to get a 454 Casull auto to live would be with a rotating bolt and gas operation. Back to the Wildey, AutoMag and Desert Eagle. And then a whole lot more strength.

KSFrostie

Ultimate Member
    Mar 29, 2013
    Carroll County
    Maybe when I move out of this state, I will contact one of those custom gun people, one that claim they can make a gun out of a block of metal, and see if they are up to the challenge of building a 454 auto lol.

I shot a Grizzly with WinMag ammo years back. It was fun, but the grip frame was deep front to back.

As noted, the Rowland is as close to the 454 in an auto as one would get. The 454 ballistics are well beyond what the 460 Rowland delivers. Probably the only way to get a 454 Casull auto to live would be with a rotating bolt and gas operation. Back to the Wildey, AutoMag and Desert Eagle. And then a whole lot more strength.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    I like your thinking - I really enjoy high caliber handguns - only a few shots each time but thrilling.

I have S&W 460M which shoots 45 colt, 454 and 460. Very heavy handgun helps, but still packs a punch.

Hand size isn't an issue - I have small hands - reach to trigger is just right.

Unfortunately I agree with other poster(s) not large enough market for semi-auto.

The othr issue is that its unlikely you could build a semiauto that would shoot 454 and also 45 colt because of the way the differing pressures work on the action. Revolvers don't have that issue.

BTW :thumbsup: on the 460! I have one myself and while I do load some full power 460's, I also download some 460 brass to hot 454 Casull levels...a little easier to handle for others who want to try. I find 454 CAsull recoil in my 460 to be similar to hot loaded 44's in my S&W m29.

freddie

Mar 20, 2013
    The othr issue is that its unlikely you could build a semiauto that would shoot 454 and also 45 colt because of the way the differing pressures work on the action. Revolvers don't have that issue.

BTW :thumbsup: on the 460! I have one myself and while I do load some full power 460's, I also download some 460 brass to hot 454 Casull levels...a little easier to handle for others who want to try. I find 454 CAsull recoil in my 460 to be similar to hot loaded 44's in my S&W m29.

Good to know - thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom