• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ChrissyN

Apr 5, 2013
    Westminster, Maryland
    I have a lovely (sexy even) 357 Taurus revolver. I blame Pugs from the MMTA handgun course I took, for letting me try his revolver and thus, getting me hooked.

Trying to be a flexible shooter, I've been shooting both single and double action. I love both! However, while I hit the target 7/7 times on single action, I only hit it 4/7 times (if that) when doing double action. It is hard and I know with practice i will get better...but I digress.

My question is that I am looking to get some dummy rounds for it, so I can practice at home, on the couch, in the kitchen, in bed... and get my hand strength up. But when I did a search, well... not sure if I am finding the right thing. Even though I know a lot about guns/shooting, there are many things I am still learning. A LOT actually. Pretty much if it is outside the realm of a gun I own/shoot, I am oblivious. I have no problem admitting this.

For example, I thought the term blank was right and found this: http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...5295/Winchester+38+Special+Black+Powder+Blank

But that does not look like the ones they had in the hand gun class I took through MMTA... so, here i am.

Thanks for the help once again! Next group get together we have I will make my delicious from scratch brownies as a thank you!:cool:

Armadillofz1

Ultimate Member
    Mar 25, 2012
    DM-42
    we used to use plastic cased ammo. if i remember correctly it had a plastic wadcutter and used only a primer as propellant. we used a cardboard box sitting in the fireplace. was fairly accurate to 20 feet maybe a bit more. no idea if they still make these.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Revolvers are Good !
    Dryfiring is Good ! To develope the smoothness and consistancy of your pull, and the smoothness and consistancy of your gun thru wearing in the contact surfaces in the action.

However , for strengthening your hands and fingers , the best results are from using a Gripmaster. I'd link if I wasn't Luddite , but it is a hand exerciser that exercises each finger seperatly. The "handgun specific" version isn't nesecary , but won't hurt if it's all you find. Just throw away the snap on replica sights and pretend they weren't there. The generic versions are fine . The Medium strength (red) is default , unless your fingers are particularly challenged , in which case start with Blue , and work up to red.

TomisinMd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2013
    Elkton, Md
    One other thing to try. At the range, have someone load your revolver. Have them leave 2 or 3 cylinders dry. You'll be amazed at what happens when you don't know a dry cylinder is coming! ;)

DocAitch

Jun 22, 2011
    North of Baltimore
    TomisinMD's suggestion is excellent. You will catch a flinch or other bad trigger control movements. (I learned to shoot the M14 in basic with a similar method).
    Snap Caps are good for dry firing, but most firearms (except 22s and some CZs) can be dry fired without anything in the chamber.
    If you want to try something like the plastic bullets, try X Ring rubber bullets. These require that the primer hole be drilled larger and really move out with only a primer pushing them.
    DocAitch

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    For practice with mine, I put in some .38's mixed with .357's. Same kind of reaction as Tomisin mentioned, but a little more expensive. Good practice though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom