• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • knownalien

Ultimate Member
    Jan 3, 2010
    Glen Burnie, MD.
    Will a barrel nut that is too tight effect accuracy? Conversley if it is too loose will it do the same. I recall the spec was 35 ish lbs. of torque.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    35-80 ft lbs. It must be in that range. Its not something you can tune so it's not worth considering. You tight to 35 and go to the next slot for the gas tube. Never loosen to get the tube aligned. Start there and then worry about other factors. Anything over 80 ft lbs. And perhaps it could be an issue.

knownalien

Ultimate Member
    Jan 3, 2010
    Glen Burnie, MD.
    Yep. Thats what I did. Hmm. 1:7 daniel defense barrel 62 gr lake city brass. Iron sights. 7" groups at 50 yards. Seems really bad. Then again, with irons the post covers up a 5" diameter circle even so i lollipopp the sight. ??

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    with the barrel nut off, how loose is the barrel extension in the upper?

i know of a couple pro smiths that work at rather well-known companies building "sniper" type firearms, and they often say if a barrel extension is wiggly (even just a bit) inside the upper, it COULD affect accuracy, and they'll use loctite on the barrel extension to help bed to the upper.

is the barrel floated or do you have a delta ring and standard handguard assembly? crown okay?

try different ammo, maybe go to 75 or 80 if it's a 1:7.....

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    35-80 ft lbs. It must be in that range. Its not something you can tune so it's not worth considering. You tight to 35 and go to the next slot for the gas tube. Never loosen to get the tube aligned. Start there and then worry about other factors. Anything over 80 ft lbs. And perhaps it could be an issue.

this:thumbsup: and grease the threads.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    give the rifle to someone else and see what groups they get? Toss a magnified optic on there and see what groups you get? I'd rule out the shooter first, then the ammo, then start poking around the gun itself.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    62gr greentips aren't exactly match ammo to begin with, over irons as well - not a recipe for precision shooting, IMO. Not saying it can't be done, but your not helping yourself out any with greentips.

Second smokey's suggestion and ferret's recommendation of a diff't weight of round, letting another shooter try, and going to an optic.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    Yep. Thats what I did. Hmm. 1:7 daniel defense barrel 62 gr lake city brass. Iron sights. 7" groups at 50 yards. Seems really bad. Then again, with irons the post covers up a 5" diameter circle even so i lollipopp the sight. ??

Are you standing or bench shooting. If you are standing that is not too bad if you are bench shooting work on you breathing or your trigger pull.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom