What did you do at your reloading bench today?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    Primed 200 308...cried a little as i noticed the $3.95 sticker on the br4 boxes that now lay empty.

Harrys

Short Round
    Jul 12, 2014
    SOMD
    Unfortunately, given MD powder storage laws, just keeping it is not a great option. My goal is to minimize the number of different powders I've got lying around, even though it's fairly hard to avoid at least 3-4...

I have tried it however, based on availability it did not work well. What I was able to do and keeping with in MD laws I store my excess in other places outside my home. I store 2-3 pounds in ammo cans tightly sealed with descant bags. Also, I put locks on the ammo cans. You can buy the locks however, I made them myself. It is kind of funny there is powder storage limits but, none on primers. Oh well MD is NY lite.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Unfortunately, given MD powder storage laws, just keeping it is not a great option. My goal is to minimize the number of different powders I've got lying around, even though it's fairly hard to avoid at least 3-4...

Yes. We must follow Maryland laws. People just don’t understand the near nuclear explosion that occurs with 6 pounds of powder.

85MikeTPI

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2014
    Ceciltucky
    Yes. We must follow Maryland laws. People just don’t understand the near nuclear explosion that occurs with 6 pounds of powder.

Sadly I imagine they actually create a more dangerous situation by encouraging citizens to hide and pack amounts of powder into locked or confined spaces, making any accident many times worse than just having it on shelves..

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Sadly I imagine they actually create a more dangerous situation by encouraging citizens to hide and pack amounts of powder into locked or confined spaces, making any accident many times worse than just having it on shelves..
    Why would anyone try to hide something that's already in the privacy of their own home?

I think that Maryland's powder laws are a little bit dumb - I'm not quite sure who the state thinks they are trying to protect with the restriction. Unfortunately it is what it is, and I do my best to comply with it.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Why would anyone try to hide something that's already in the privacy of their own home?

I think that Maryland's powder laws are a little bit dumb - I'm not quite sure who the state thinks they are trying to protect with the restriction. Unfortunately it is what it is, and I do my best to comply with it.

Yes. I definitely do my best.

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423

True...gotta love Merryland though...yeah I can
    only do about 155 rounds it's sad...

-Rock

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    My reloading bench is also my work bench.

It only took me about an hour to figure out I put the wrong gas tube on my .50 Beo build. Bolt wouldn’t seat in the chamber. At least it’s an easy fix. I didn’t even know I owned an extra rifle length gas tube.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Resized (14) 257 wby trimmed them and tossed them in the tumbler. Loaded (100) 308 with 44gr varget and 168gr bthp.

Its gross to think that 4,400 grains is about $24 worth of powder in today's prices when it used to be $12 or so.

I just got 1,500 berger 108gr 6mm for $700...this shooting thing is ending up to be a rich person sport lol

steves1911

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2011
    On a hill in Wv
    Its gross to think that 4,400 grains is about $24 worth of powder in today's prices when it used to be $12 or so.

I just got 1,500 berger 108gr 6mm for $700...this shooting thing is ending up to be a rich person sport lol

Ive been sourcing powder locally for decent prices for today (picked up h1000 last week @ $39lb) but its not always the flavor im looking for lol....the price of components is deff getting scary and my old stock is getting used up. I havent seen my preferred 168gr eldm/amax for under 40cents a pill in a long time. Been shooting a lot more 223 and 22-250 and less 300 win and 338 edge but even the .224 pills are getting pricey.

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    Ive been sourcing powder locally for decent prices for today (picked up h1000 last week @ $39lb) but its not always the flavor im looking for lol....the price of components is deff getting scary and my old stock is getting used up. I havent seen my preferred 168gr eldm/amax for under 40cents a pill in a long time. Been shooting a lot more 223 and 22-250 and less 300 win and 338 edge but even the .224 pills are getting pricey.

Yes Sir...guess back to making some more out of 22LR cases at
    least for practice / plinking, got all the tools, even cannelure tool...;)

-Rock

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

As cheap, certainly no way, no how. That said, you can still find .224 55gr pills a few places for around 8-9cpb shipped if you spend a bit of time looking and get in some bulk.

For making your own, if there was a way to use, say, 9mm cases and cast lead to make fmj .308 bullets, that would be awesome.

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423
    How does one do that? Melt brass and cast boolits?

Corbin swaging dies (bought em long ago)
    Spools of lead wire, and core "molds" (cast when using mold)
    Core cutter for Lead wire
    Rock Chucker press works great, the Corbin Press is the "thing" a Brute

wash / clean 22 LR cases
    remove rim (swage it)
    cut core to desired length / weight
    Insert core
    Press core into case (which pushes in out uniformly in case)
    form the point ...you can make hollow points, soft points
    depending on how long the core was. Interesting enough is
    take a "BB" and form the hollow point around it, works wonders
    on varmints. The process may sound time consuming, it can be
    but the more "prep" you do and it you do them in batches it cuts
    down on some time. Then to a old CH Tool & Die Company Cannelure
    tool. They shoot pretty decent. Have a boat load of copper jackets,
    different lengths. BT-Sniper also makes setups to use "pistol cases"
    to make bullets. In the long run, they will pay for themselves or just
    having bullets to shoot. Bought mine long ago, now they "ain't Cheap"
    but then again nothing is.It depends on how you look at it. If you can not
    find bullets or they are crazy priced just to plink with...Have the whole
    Corbin Setup. Here's some more nfo on it.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?24952-22-rimfire-bullets-start-to-finish

-Rock

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom