New to me Parker Bros, shotgun and question...

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DROB

member...
    Jul 25, 2011
    North of the MD border...
    So unfortunately 2 months ago my grandfather passed away after a long battle with colon cancer. He went peacefully in his sleep and has now taken his place watching over us.

As I was assisting cleaning out the house I came across his old 22 rifle and double barrel shotgun. To make a long story short...

The shotgun is a Parker Bros. double barrel. I did some google search and from a Parker info site was able to determine it was manufactured in 1917. It looks like it was a standard for the time with the dual triggers. What really intrigued me was a small emblem on the underside of the stock. Its a brass emblem in the shape of a sheriffs or police badge. I did some google search and came up short other than 2 people saying that they ha one with an emblem as well.

So i thought I would open it up to the pros, and i have attached a few pictures so you can see the emblem and receiver. Please let mw know what you think or what your suggestions might be.

Sorry if my spelling/grammar stink, I'm doing this from my iphone,

Attachments

• image-2581968499.jpg
      image-2581968499.jpg
      61.9 KB · Views: 1,317
    • image-467483502.jpg
      image-467483502.jpg
      63.9 KB · Views: 1,177

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    It's inlaid for the owner to have his initials engraved on. Parkers were nice shotguns, they usually didn't have Bubba's name carved into the stock.

A lower-grade gun, looks like, and well-used. There's a lot of information to be had on the table, and underside of the barrels.

pop-gunner

Ultimate Member
    May 8, 2008
    DO NOT CLEAN THIS GUN UNTIL YOU KNOW WHAT YOU HAVE AND HOW TO CLEAN!!!

Most Parkers came with that emblem set into the stock. It's so the owner could add a monogram if they wanted.
    First glance would make me believe yours is a Trojan which was kinda a field grade.
    The lowest grade of the best is still pretty damn fantastic.
    Books on Parker shotguns are rare and expensive if you are looking for a useful one.
    I have a handful of books and a couple Parkers to go with so if you have any questions feel free to PM me and I'll do some research for you.
    I'm sorry to hear about your grandfather, you have my condolences.

DROB

member...
    Jul 25, 2011
    North of the MD border...
    Thanks guys, this is why this site is so great, there is always someone who either know the right answer or can point you in the right direction.

As for the gun, I do believe its a Trojan. It was my grandfathers primary hunting rifle and he was an avid bird hunter. It has seen its fair share of use, and the stock still looks to be in good condition. There was one repair spot but it looks like it was professionally fixed. The barrel looks to me as though it might be pretty worn, there is no blueing left, it it is slightly pitted in some areas.

Unfortunately it does also look like its been recently cleaned. The barrel has been cleaned up to remove grease, but no polish or other treatments that I can tell. The wood looks good, but possibly refinished a long time ago. I found a small build up of clear coat near the butt plate.

All in all I am pretty excited about it. I Pop Gunner I will be sending you a PM.

Thanks again everyone!

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Pretty sure it's not a Trojan, they had no engraving and no monogram plate. Looked at the Parker website it appears to be a grade O or VH, the bottom of the graded Parkers. It is a very nice gun to have, here is a picture of a VH from the Parker site.
    Parkers are nice but an AH Fox is the best :D Pics are of my Fox XE grade which is currently out being restored.

Attachments

• user661_pic259_1255972559.jpg
      user661_pic259_1255972559.jpg
      75.2 KB · Views: 2,098
    • DSCN0268.jpg
      DSCN0268.jpg
      92.9 KB · Views: 1,142
    • DSCN0272.jpg
      DSCN0272.jpg
      40.4 KB · Views: 1,096

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Trojans were the bottom level of Parker gun. I think yours is a V-grade, the next level up. The Trojans came only with extractors. V and higher grades had ejectors as an option.

You can tell by looking at the extractor/ejector. If it's split into two separate parts, it'll eject spent shells; anything that the firing pin had not touched will be elevated for manual extraction.

Pictures of the underside of the barrels and the table that they lock onto would be informative, if you can get them.

I love old SxS double guns.

Cochise

Ultimate Member
    Sep 5, 2008
    Rockville
    ask your questions at www.doublegunshop.com and you will get some good answers, thats where the side by side guys hang out.
    It can get pretty technical over there almost to the point of "how many angels can dance on the head of a pin?" but the boys know their stuff.
    Im not really a Parker guy but they were definately good guns, just over priced in my opinion in todays market.

circleshooter

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2009
    Baltimore County
    Wow! Nice old Parker SxS. If a good gunsmith deemed it safe I'd probably have to shoot some low pressure shells through it just to say I did.

But, otherwise, I'd give it a very gentle cleaning. Get yourself a can of Renaissance micro-crystalline wax and wax both the wood and metal. It's what the Smithsonian uses.

Make yourself a nice display with it. A great remembrance of your grandfather!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom