• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yellowdog

MDS Supporter
    Jul 4, 2011
    Columbia
    I have between 1.5k and 2k factory rounds each of 9mm and .40 S&W. I also have the components to reload about the same quantities. I shoot about 200-250 rounds a week on average. My question is should I shoot the factory ammo first and keep the reloads as reserve or vice versa or does it really matter?

I am retired so time for reloading is not an issue.

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    That's only 6-8 weeks of ammo at that rate. Reloading components are a little hard to come by lately so factor that in to your decision.

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck
    Depends why you would dip into your reserves.

Also is preformance and dependability the same.
    If the zombies are coming I want the most dependable ammo. Zombies don't care if they are reloads or factory.
    If you have reserve to take advantage of other things like a last minute training class you may want to keep the factory. Some classes require factory ammo.

Topher

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 8, 2008
    Fredneck

If the zombies are coming I want the most dependable ammo. Zombies don't care if they are reloads or factory.
    If you have reserve to take advantage of other things like a last minute training class you may want to keep the factory. Some classes require factory ammo.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I keep factory mil-spec as my strategic, untouchable reserve. If it has to go bang, I want someone with better QC than me.

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Military FMJ in Battle Packs usually Israeli or South African.

As for the Fotay, usually that is one of the few ammos you can find during shortages.

Try Georgia Arms and their Canned Heat 500 Rounds in an ammo can. You use to save on shipping and tax when they come to the Chantilly shows and you picked up your order.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    I shoot my reloads and then reload again.

I save the factory ammo unless its getting really old and I need to rotate things a little.

Like to have factory on hand if I take a new shooter out, or the kids, as I prefer to limit who shoots my reloads. Also, if selling something a box of factory ammo may smooth the sale out.

Pensfaninmd

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 28, 2010
    Harford County

This :party29:

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Like to have factory on hand if I take a new shooter out, or the kids, as I prefer to limit who shoots my reloads.
    I've got a bit for this reason, too. I think I've let maybe one other person in my entire life shoot my reloads, and that was an instructor who knew what he was getting into (and was given dire warnings). It was my 160gr 9mm subs, and he remarked that, recoil-wise, the entire mag of it felt like a gun that was locking back on the last round (but, ironically, did not lock back on the last round).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom