• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    This is not good, IMO. US v Black is 4th circuit precedent (see below!), and the opinion seems to squarely follow US v Black. Under US v Black, a tip that someone has a loaded gun in the parking lot of a 7-Eleven is not sufficient for a Terry stop (WVa allows both open and concealed carry).

en banc suggests they might overrule US v Black, which would also suggest a bad result on Kolbe.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    This is not good, IMO. US v Black is 4th circuit precedent (see below!), and the opinion seems to squarely follow US v Black. Under US v Black, a tip that someone has a loaded gun in the parking lot of a 7-Eleven is not sufficient for a Terry stop (WVa allows both open and concealed carry).

en banc suggests they might overrule US v Black, which would also suggest a bad result on Kolbe.

What's odd is the anti judges made the right call while Niemeyer, who's a pro 2A judge IMO ruled the stop was OK.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    What's odd is the anti judges made the right call while Niemeyer, who's a pro 2A judge IMO ruled the stop was OK.

Not odd. This is not really a 2nd amendment case as much as its a 4th amendment case. Many judges who uphold the 2nd will vote to abridge the 4th, and vice versa.

It's hard to tell whether the anti's made this decision because they were following the US v Black 4th circuit precedent, or whether they also happened to agree with that opinion. There were a few places I thought that the majority opinion was worded in a way that essentially telegraphed how to overturn US v Black, and get a different result. The dissent was kind of a mess. I have not read the cert briefs, maybe there is something compelling there. I honestly don't understand why they took this case en banc, except to curtail US v Black.

ETA: One might say Black related to open carry, while this case involves concealed carry. True, but I suspect this case won't revolve around that detail.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Do you have a source for this information. Not doubting you....well maybe a little but would like to see statute

Nobody
    http://handgunlaw.us/states/maryland.pdf

Must Inform Officer Immediately on Contact By Law?
    “NO”
    Public Safety § 5-308. Possession of Permit Required
    A person to whom a permit is issued or renewed shall carry the permit in the person's possession whenever
    the person carries, wears, or transports a handgun.

Note: You would have to present it on demand.
    http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/webmga/f...on=5-308&ext=html&session=2015RS&tab=subject5

§5–308.
    A person to whom a permit is issued or renewed shall carry the permit in the person’s possession whenever the person carries, wears, or transports a handgun.

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Not odd. This is not really a 2nd amendment case as much as its a 4th amendment case. Many judges who uphold the 2nd will vote to abridge the 4th, and vice versa.

It's hard to tell whether the anti's made this decision because they were following the US v Black 4th circuit precedent, or whether they also happened to agree with that opinion. There were a few places I thought that the majority opinion was worded in a way that essentially telegraphed how to overturn US v Black, and get a different result. The dissent was kind of a mess. I have not read the cert briefs, maybe there is something compelling there. I honestly don't understand why they took this case en banc, except to curtail US v Black.

ETA: One might say Black related to open carry, while this case involves concealed carry. True, but I suspect this case won't revolve around that detail.

Here is the petition for rehearing en banc that was granted. It will explain why they granted rehearing. This has a win for the government written all over it. The only question in my mind is how they write the opinion.

Attachments

• U.S. v. Robinson petition for rehearing en banc.pdf
      145.8 KB · Views: 372

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Thank you

it is interesting listen. The Judges are going at each other, more than asking questions of the lawyers.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Here is the petition for rehearing en banc that was granted. It will explain why they granted rehearing. This has a win for the government written all over it. The only question in my mind is how they write the opinion.

Listen to the argument.

the judges were all over the place. By the sound of it, they want to uphold US v BLACK.

the judges are all wrestling with police receiving a tip that a fella is armed, and then responding because of the tip in a post Heller/McDonald world.

it was like listening to MDSers banter. lol

esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    Listen to the argument.

the judges were all over the place. By the sound of it, they want to uphold US v BLACK.

the judges are all wrestling with police receiving a tip that a fella is armed, and then responding because of the tip in a post Heller/McDonald world.

Really interesting argument. The gov's case really unwound when they got to the 2A

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    The oral argument was difficult to dissect. The only interesting thing I learned was that the stop in Terry was consensual, it was mostly about the frisk.

Unfortunately, I tend to agree that an encounter with an officer is inherently dangerous these days, whether the person is armed or not.

GTOGUNNER

IANAL, PATRIOT PICKET!!
    Patriot Picket
    Dec 16, 2010
    Carroll County!
    This one would be a nice win. The state didn't articulate well and seemed to take both sides of his argument when questioned.
    I doubt it will stop at the 4th regardless of the decision.

Elliotte

Ultimate Member
    Aug 11, 2011
    Loudoun County VA
    Listen to the argument.

It was really interesting to listen to the discussion. It sounded like for much of the discussion everyone was approaching it as a 4A matter only when a huge aspect of the case is 2A. Does lawfully exercising a right make a person dangerous?

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Opinion today, Affirmed

http://www.ca4.uscourts.gov/Opinions/Published/144902A.P.pdf

In sum, individuals who carry firearms--lawfully or unlawfully--pose a risk of danger to themselves, law enforcement officers, and the public at large. Accordingly, law enforcement officers may frisk lawfully stopped individuals whom the officers reasonably suspect are carrying a firearm because a detainee’s possession of a firearm poses a categorical “danger” to the officers.

The 4CA doesn't trust you with a firearm!

The majority’s rule is bright-line and broad: Any citizen carrying a gun in a public-carry jurisdiction is “armed” and also per se “dangerous” under Terry, regardless of surrounding circumstances.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom