• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Collector98

Jan 18, 2015
    Hello, is anyone aware of any dealers in Maryland that will transfer an ak receiver? I remember seeing a letter from the MSP saying that it's legal to sell receivers of banned long guns, so that one would be able to build a legal SBR or pistol, but I'm currently unaware of any FFL's in AA county that will transfer an ak receiver. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    Hello, is anyone aware of any dealers in Maryland that will transfer an ak receiver? I remember seeing a letter from the MSP saying that it's legal to sell receivers of banned long guns, so that one would be able to build a legal SBR or pistol, but I'm currently unaware of any FFL's in AA county that will transfer an ak receiver. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

You might want to drop a line in the IP section.

You might just want to find an SBR AK already built and transfer that in...

Gcs7th

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2012
    AGC
    I know engage will build AK SBRs or you can buy an AK pistol form 1 it then SBR it after the form comes back unless you really want to build an AK from scratch.

Collector98

Jan 18, 2015
    While I appreciate the ideas, I'd like to find a a receiver, so I can have the fun of building it. I may end up just going the 80% route if there is nowhere to buy locally.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I’m curious as well. Especially since “I think” building an AK is more involved because of having to press the barrel in. I’ve toyed around with doing an AK SBR at as long as a barrel I can do but still have decent accuracy.

If I can get a receiver and pay to have someone press in barrel then do the rest myself starting with it as a Pistol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buster Brown

Aug 11, 2019
    Southern MD
    I know its a drive for most of you but gymratz will transfer one. As far as building one without the proper tools..goodluck. It can be done with some ingenuity. I used a air hammer with a modified bit for the rivet head and a backing bar in a vise. Id advise against doing a screw build.

Buster Brown

Aug 11, 2019
    Southern MD
    Even if you get a populated barrel, you still need to remove the barrel from the trunion to rivet the trunion to the receiver. After that press the barrel back in perfectly to press the barrel pin in.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    If you have the tools to do it properly, Childers makes some pretty great 80% solutions. Depending on how this AWB in Virginia goes, I may stock up on a few of those or a few of the finished receivers. I made the mistake of not doing something similar in 2013 in Maryland, and won't be doing that again.

FFBWMD

Industry Partner
    Oct 3, 2011
    Woodbine MD

What type of receiver are you looking for? IE: what country and caliber?

Collector98

Jan 18, 2015
    I'm currently looking at the childers receiver that can be customized. I'm tossing the idea around of build an AK63D sbr and the receiver is the main holdup at the moment

Collector98

Jan 18, 2015
    Yeah, I may end up doing that if I need to. The only part I don't like is the price of the jig to finish the receiver, as the jig is more than the price of finished receivers

Steve_Zissou

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2017
    Baltimore City
    I know its a drive for most of you but gymratz will transfer one. As far as building one without the proper tools..goodluck. It can be done with some ingenuity. I used a air hammer with a modified bit for the rivet head and a backing bar in a vise. Id advise against doing a screw build.

The toth tools drop-in rivet jaws for a harbor freight bolt cutter makes it surprisingly easy to take care of all the riveting needed to put together an AK receiver.

As for pressing in the barrel, just get a harbor freight bearing press and call it a day.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Yeah, I may end up doing that if I need to. The only part I don't like is the price of the jig to finish the receiver, as the jig is more than the price of finished receivers
    Yeah the jig price sucks when you can just print out a couple pieces of paper and do it that way. But I may get one if I buy 4-5 since I would need them to last a lifetime and can't afford mistakes. Prob need a milled receiver from Sharps Bros too.

Or maybe Virgina politicians will come to their senses after tomorrow. J/K we are probably screwed.

I wonder if Childers will accept "Northam is racist 47" or "Bloomturd 74" as valid requests for serial numbers?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom