• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WildWeasel

Mar 31, 2019
    MI>FL>MD
    .223 subsonic hits about as hard as .22 subs. Not impressive. .223 is loud. A suppressed AR is about as loud as an unsuppressed.22 firing supers.

To add to this; in most 223 and 556 AR setups, subs also turn it into a bolt action... You could get an adjustable gas system lightweight buffer, bolt carrier, etc, but then normal shells are hard on the system.

Sound wise, I've shot thousands of supers out of a 16" 10/22 outdoors, and unless I'm near a building, I'm fine. In my very limited experience shooting my brothers Optimus on 223 ARs outdoors, the 10" pistol you'll still need ears for sure, the 16" is fine for a handful of rounds but starts to get loud, and the 20" was 'hearing safe'. End cap swaps made no noticeable difference (.30 and 223) Note this is seat of the pants, not tested, and my hearing may have already been affected from other stuff... However, just wanted to share my experience. My plans are to get a Rugged Radiant for my 16" 556 and 300 blk, and a 556 K can on my 20" 556. Just need to figure out how it works if I get orders to a state that's worse than here...

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    I have a sandman S and I like it. Sounds about the same as my buddies octane. I have not felt the need for the 5.56 end cap. But I do want a sandman K for the latest AR pistol build. Never really compared specs as I got it right before the ATF rule change for trusts so I went with what was in stock at the time.

What all do you use it one firearm and caliber wise? I’m in between a sandman s and a Wolfman subgun 9mm suppressor that can also function on a .556 with a special brake from dead air.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    To add to this; in most 223 and 556 AR setups, subs also turn it into a bolt action... You could get an adjustable gas system lightweight buffer, bolt carrier, etc, but then normal shells are hard on the system.

Tumbling / yaw are also a problem since 223 subs may not have enough stabilization/spin. Tumbling / yaw can be very very bad for baffles and end caps.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    Tumbling / yaw are also a problem since 223 subs may not have enough stabilization/spin. Tumbling / yaw can be very very bad for baffles and end caps.

That makes enough sense to me to take 223 subs off the table, that and the good doc saying they hit like .22subs, sounds like they are pretty worthless to me

Finn

waiting for the zombies
    Feb 28, 2009
    Columbia
    The Saker has removable front end caps so you can swap down to a .22 hole. Supposedly it makes it quieter but I haven't done an A-B comparison. Using the .30 cal cap makes 5.56 pretty quiet.

Part of me thinks the "dedicated caliber cans are quieter" line originated with suppressor manufacturers and dealers. Most of us don't have access to multiple cans or audio test gear, so it's hard to tell.

I have the Saker 762 and i use the 556 end cap on it often and I "think" i can hear the difference.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    That makes enough sense to me to take 223 subs off the table, that and the good doc saying they hit like .22subs, sounds like they are pretty worthless to me

This is why .300 BO in AR is so nice.

WRT 5.56 subs think about it. .22 LR is 40 grain bullet. 5.56, mag fed, you are limited to 77 grains. Both are subsonic, so about the same velocity.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    This is why .300 BO in AR is so nice.

WRT 5.56 subs think about it. .22 LR is 40 grain bullet. 5.56, mag fed, you are limited to 77 grains. Both are subsonic, so about the same velocity.

Pretty much the point of the 300BO vs 5.56, functions with a much wider velocity range, most barrels stabilize anything well, more efficient, especially in shorter barrels, less flash/noise, and just takes a barrel swap to run it. Even without a suppressor or subsonic ammo, my 9" 300BO is FAR more pleasant to shoot, with less muzzle blast than a 16"in 5.56. If I want quiet 5.56 subs to actually function, I just run my 22LR upper with a can. The way modular and "overbuilt" can designs are going, probably better off choosing a variety of cans based on diameter and mounting options than the old 22,30,45 caliber reccomendations. Where you can shoot 22LR out of an 8"x1.5" modular 30cal rifle can with a 22 endcap, you give up a ton in weight/size. Some of the new rimfire cans, and small centerfire cans can handle 5.56, the Optimus micro is huge (1.1x5.3' 8oz)for it's "intended" role as a rimfire suppressor, but it is a tiny 5.56 suppressor. Can definitely see the benefit of a smaller/lighter can if you run a pistol or lightweight setup in one caliber or the other.

rockstarr

Major Deplorable
    Feb 25, 2013
    The Bolshevik Lands
    Pretty much the point of the 300BO vs 5.56, functions with a much wider velocity range, most barrels stabilize anything well, more efficient, especially in shorter barrels, less flash/noise, and just takes a barrel swap to run it. Even without a suppressor or subsonic ammo, my 9" 300BO is FAR more pleasant to shoot, with less muzzle blast than a 16"in 5.56. If I want quiet 5.56 subs to actually function, I just run my 22LR upper with a can. The way modular and "overbuilt" can designs are going, probably better off choosing a variety of cans based on diameter and mounting options than the old 22,30,45 caliber reccomendations. Where you can shoot 22LR out of an 8"x1.5" modular 30cal rifle can with a 22 endcap, you give up a ton in weight/size. Some of the new rimfire cans, and small centerfire cans can handle 5.56, the Optimus micro is huge (1.1x5.3' 8oz)for it's "intended" role as a rimfire suppressor, but it is a tiny 5.56 suppressor. Can definitely see the benefit of a smaller/lighter can if you run a pistol or lightweight setup in one caliber or the other.

the dear air wolfman seems to be one of these you speak of, and its specialty is 9 MM :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom