• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Anyone know of a GOOD barber shop? Straight razor shaves are a plus, but not a requirement. Looking for a real barber, not these cheesy trade school "cosmetologists" like you find at the Hair Butchery. I used to have an awesome barber, he cut my hair for almost 20 years but he unfortunately passed away about five years ago.

****Passed away? Shaving accident? :)

As for a real shave, etc... as others have mentioned - Quintessential Gentleman is a nice place though I have only had my haircut there before. I am still freaked out about a straight razor at my throat.

I mean... Rambo went NUTS and destroyed an entire town after they tried to shave him with a straight razor! :D

Pyramid

MDS Supporter
    Sep 27, 2008
    AACO
    As a youngster I started shaving with a safety razor. My dad gave me one. Over the years I've tried all kinds of junk disposables, electrics, etc. Been using some good disposables, but am going to go back to the old safety razor. Not sure if I can find my old one so I ordered a new one. Will be fun going back to the way I started shaving. Actually found that you can buy the blades in bulk and they aren't that expensive like years ago.

Feb 28, 2013
    I get a a nick once in a while. Happens to the best of us, just like stick shifts. I won't drive nothin else, and I stall em once in a while.

Just gotta keep it sharp. 20 swipes before and after works well for me. On, and remember not to pull it sideways.

pilgrim

See that 1/2 inch scar? That was not obtained through a knife fight over a card game at Rick's Place in Casablanca. That happened one evening while shaving with a Merkur Safety razor. The bathroom looked like a murder scene. Straight razor? I don't think so. :rolleyes:

View attachment 77980

You should really go with bar fight story. Yup, a Merkur and a Gilette over here with three straight razors No rushing with straight razors.

Bravo757

Stand In The Gap
    Apr 5, 2013
    Hagerstown
    Both my Grandads were barbers so I didn't own a safety razor until I left for uncle sam's Army - I still have a collection from both of them - straight razors that is - but I won't use them, I want them exactly the way they were in their hands last. That's the excuse I give my wife for keeping my beard anyways. Besides a good beard is the only defense my precious young face has during the ravages of hunting season's cold ugly weather.

Robert

Having Fun Yet?
    May 11, 2011
    AA County, MD
    One trick I'm testing now is to store your razor in baby oil between shaves.. It's said to prolong the life of the blades dramatically.

Robert

Having Fun Yet?
    May 11, 2011
    AA County, MD
    Never heard of that one. What's that supposed to do? Help keep it sharp?

What? soak in baby oil. rust prevention maybe, keep sharp not sure how that would work.

That's it exactly..

Supposedly, the effects of standing water on the edge (corrosion) causes the edge of the blade to dull it in a big way.. I just started testing this so I'll let you know in a few weeks.

Aug 19, 2011
    Fredneck, MD
    For those of you that use cartridge shavers, I sincerely recommend dollarshaveclub.com

I've used them for about 3 months now and have been very impressed. Light years better than Gillette or Shick and about 1/3 of the cost.

Pyramid

MDS Supporter
    Sep 27, 2008
    AACO
    I've been back with the safety razor now for about three weeks. Awesome shaves.... Never going to use the cartridge stuff ever again......unless I have to, travel or something.

EVOIXGSR

Straight Baller Status
    Mar 13, 2008
    Baltimore Co.
    I shave my head, neck, and on top my beard every morning in the shower without shaving cream or soap, just hot water. Each one of these lasts about a week. Never found anything better.

Attachments

• 0084105802021_500X500.jpg
      0084105802021_500X500.jpg
      26.6 KB · Views: 235

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics