Old September 11th, 2020, 01:15 PM #21

Went out this morning and the place I hunt was 80% underwater. The rain last couple of days did it in. Mosquitos were pretty rough so I did not stay long.
Silverlax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2020, 01:18 PM #22

Wish everyone good luck...with the price of beef getting higher and higher, I expect the kill ratio to go up this year.

BTW...I didn't even know archery is open yet LOL
Speed3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2020, 01:19 PM #23
Head'n for the hills

Head'n for the hills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverlax View Post
Went out this morning and the place I hunt was 80% underwater. The rain last couple of days did it in. Mosquitos were pretty rough so I did not stay long.
I feel your pain.

I noticed the 50 lb salt block that was replaced a few weeks ago, has been melted by all of the rain we have been getting.
Old September 11th, 2020, 01:27 PM #24
Official Meat Getter

Official Meat Getter

Saw 14 turkeys at 15 yards, 3 big gobblers and the only deer I saw all day was this guy on the side of the driveway on my way out of the property. Drove right by him on the way in but it was dark. I figure he'd been there two days or so tops. Called DNR to see if they were interested in checking for CWD and was told no thanks. So I drug it into the woods. This is about a mile from any roads but I guess it could have been from an impact. He just looks sickly and skinny. My guess is he was only about 2.5 years old. Shame, appears he had great genetics.
Attached Images

"Misanthrope? I don't hate my fellow man, even when he's tiresome and surly and tries to cheat at poker. I figure that's just a human material, and him that finds in it cause for anger and dismay is just a fool for expecting better." - Buster Scruggs

SMC
kstone803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2020, 01:34 PM #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverlax View Post
The mosquitoes were terrible. I wore a net suit over a long sleeve shirt, and still got hit a few times. It's like it was a new breed! The Thermacell and the 40% deet I used barely helped.
Ecestu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2020, 01:39 PM #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecestu View Post
What's the rub on here with killing fawns? I killed one last year because I wanted a small one to try butchering a deer myself without being too overwhelmed. It was perfect. I would kill another fawn in a heartbeat.
For me, not again. First deer I shot last year. It was tasty. Maybe if I was butchering it myself and it WAS a little one. Afternoon of the Saturday after the opener (opener was Friday). I got back 9.5# of meat from the butcher and they normally do a great job (didn't seem like anything was missing. Just itty bitty roasts, steaks and straps).

Sure it was tasty. But I paid $70 for butchering. Same $70 I paid for the next two does which each gave me 30# of still nice venison. Same $70 I paid for the 5 point that netted me 53 (56?)# of fine venison. I'd have to have killed 3 fawns to have gotten the same 30# as the bigger does (and they were both probably just yearlings).

No issues with hunting, but I'd rather both get my moneys worth and kill fewer living things to accomplish the same thing. Don't need herd control, so no need to drop everything.

Plus didn't help I discovered Fawns scream and mewl when shot. Yeah that shook me to the bone for a bit (mostly because it was unexpected).

I wouldn't not shoot a fawn, but I am mostly aiming for the biggest deer in the herd.
lazarus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2020, 02:15 PM #27

Years ago a guy I once knew shot one just like that.He thought his wife would get mad,so he gave it to me.I cut it up and ate some tender vittles for a bit.

To be honest tho....it was pretty bland
remrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2020, 02:32 PM #28

Came up empty in round 1. 16yds and the arrow went right under her. I am very, very, very confident it was a clean miss. Zero blood. Arrow didn't deflect. Whole herd ran off. After some searching and much cussing, I pulled out my archery bag and said F it and put a mechanical broadhead in to it. It was low and left by about 6 inches at 18yds.

WTF.

A few more shots and they were mostly still low and left.

As I was finishing up and tweaking the scope, I could see the deer back in the woods starting to come back in to my corn. Closed up the blind and waited. Took half an hour because momma and her baby came in right after a spike and Momma kept chasing off the spike and the two big does that came in tail end Charlie (the smaller doe and button buck from earlier never came back, but they seemed to be traveling partners, just like Momma and the doe were and the two does and the spike (I've been seeing all 7 of them out there at the same time, but they don't seem to be herded together except when eating). Took 20 minutes before one of the big does presented a good shot.

Quartering away a bit. Arrow zipped in, deflected off and buried itself at the edge of the meadow. Deer didn't look like she'd been hit other than the arrow visibly deflecting from its flight path several feet after passing "by" the doe. Went out, and nice blood trail starting at the edge of the woods where she entered the stilt grass and the arrow was coated in some nice dark blood. Waited 20 minutes, took the boys out and found her 100yds or so away in the woods. Nice blood trail. Arrow entered a couple inches back from where I swore I was aiming still and went "up". Though I think the "up" was as much because she was leaning over eating and quartering away. Nicked the gut barely, sliced the liver and weight straight through the Aorta. Somehow did not apparently clip or hit either lung. Somehow. Went out the opposite shoulder. Only hit ribs, no leg/shoulder bones involved.

Anyway, I'd been sweet talked in to quartering away shots being better for archery rather than broadside (every other archery shot I've taken) to avoid hitting the leg or shoulder and exposing the vitals better. I think I am going to go back to broadside shots. Been worried about it. But even my older and slower crossbow both leg hits, also hit ribs and both managed to poke through the opposite side exiting the hide, though not a complete pass through (both deer smashed the arrows limp-running away before they expired). New crossbow is going WAY faster (380fps vs 330fps).

I think I did figure out the accuracy issues. Looked closer at my NAP Shockwave instructions. "The SHOCKWAVE is designed to open with very little pressure yet stay closed in flight up to 310 feet per second. "

Their performance I've been impressed with, but I think my new crossbow is shoving them too fast and causing them to open sometimes in flight. I'll probably start a separate thread, but I'll be looking for new arrow heads. Mechanical? Fixed? Recommendations? I hate to move away from the NAP Shockwaves as I've never had them fail to open and they've got a good cutting diameter and penetrate deep. But it sounds like I either need to save them for my older, slower crossbow, or for a vertical bow.

At the butcher now. Probably 90-100lbs live weight, pre-dressed. About 70lbs or so dressed. Maybe a bit bigger.
Attached Images

lazarus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2020, 02:49 PM #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarus View Post
At the butcher now. Probably 90-100lbs live weight, pre-dressed. About 70lbs or so dressed. Maybe a bit bigger.
Glad you were able to resolve your issues before round 2!
Ecestu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2020, 03:17 PM #30

Hoping to get out this evening. Going to attempt butchering myself this year, much to the wife's dismay, lol.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
BigCountry14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Home Page > Forum List > Topics of Interest > Outdoor Sports