• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Foohaus

Nov 22, 2020
    New member here, looking for guidance on where to post project threads.

I inherited a German manufactured K98 that my grandfather brought home from WWII—I still have the paperwork from his CO authorizing him to bring it back, which is pretty cool. His brother sportswriter it, bending the bolt handle, reshaping the stock, and tapping holes for scope mounts.

I’ve shot the rifle a bit over the years, but the stock has developed a crack and I’ve started getting a lot of failures—unsure if it’s light primer strikes, bad ammo (it was surplus, so might have been crap), or an issue of the round not seating correctly.

Want to start rehabbing it, and looking to start a thread. Where should that go?

Foohaus

Nov 22, 2020
    Thanks, Welder! Looks like there’s also some great older posts about k98s and repairing cracks in vintage wood gun furniture—I’ll go through those before I start a new post.

I’m a semi-competent woodworker, and I think I may be able to epoxy the stock myself. I’m never selling the rifle, and even if I were, since the stock has been sporterized, retaining value isn’t a big concern. I just want the stock to be sound structurally and retain its cosmetics.

Overwatch326

Aug 13, 2016
    Thanks, Welder! Looks like there’s also some great older posts about k98s and repairing cracks in vintage wood gun furniture—I’ll go through those before I start a new post.

I’m a semi-competent woodworker, and I think I may be able to epoxy the stock myself. I’m never selling the rifle, and even if I were, since the stock has been sporterized, retaining value isn’t a big concern. I just want the stock to be sound structurally and retain its cosmetics.

Check out the Anvil on YouTube for some examples of stock repair. Mark does some great long form videos on restoring old rifles. Hope it turns out well; that rifle sounds like a heck of an heirloom. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom