• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BurtonRW

Oct 19, 2007
    Pasadena
    Open, of course, so as to be legal.

I've thought about it. If I need a gun, and I'm not carrying one illegally, I'd much rather have a KBAR or even a SEAL Pup than my folders.

I've got plenty of folders, but I'd rather have a fixed blade handy if I thought I could get away with it without having a friendly chat with the police every time I went out.

Just curious.

-Rob

Bohlieve410

Ultimate Member
    Feb 21, 2011
    I searched around this before, and I think general consensus was unless you're hunting or fishing, you'd get hassled for it. Has to be open carry as well, but you'll risk talking to the popo. Maybe not in Keymar or Thurmont, but certainly in Crofton or Glen Burnie! I'm new in this carrying self defense weapons in the People's Republic of Maryland though so don't take anything I said as law...

Not to dismiss your question, but I LOVE my Zero Tolerance knife...fast as a switch but legal.

montoya32

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jun 16, 2010
    Harford Co
    Bottom line is, in MD, you'll either be breaking the law or get harrassed if you want to ensure your own safety. My opinion isthis, do what your conscience will allow. If that means being completely defenseless, then so be it. If that means preparing yourself, then so be that. There is no way to completely satisfy the two sides of this argument. MD is just too overrun with idiots, both political and social, to accomodate all of it's tax paying, law abiding citizens.

BurtonRW

Oct 19, 2007
    Pasadena
    I'm new in this carrying self defense weapons in the People's Republic of Maryland though so don't take anything I said as law...

That's okay. You got it right. Must be OC w/o the intent to harm, maim, kill, injure, damage, etc., to be legal.

I was just wondering if anyone actually did it.

So, who wants to host a fixed blade OC day in the Inner Harbor? :D

-Rob

Andras

Aug 12, 2008
    Charles Co.
    Ka-bar could be viewed as a Bowie knife; which are illegal to carry per Article 27. Also, watch any two-sided knives; as they could be considered a dirk, also named in the law.

Good luck

Jerry

Illegal to carry concealed, not illegal to carry openly (unless with the intent to injure another illegally)

A lexis search only turned up 4-101, and nothing in "Article 27" if you have more specific information would you care to share?

§ 4-101. Dangerous weapons.

(a) Definitions.-

(1) In this section the following words have the meanings indicated.

(2) "Nunchaku" means a device constructed of two pieces of any substance, including wood, metal, or plastic, connected by any chain, rope, leather, or other flexible material not exceeding 24 inches in length.

(3) (i) "Pepper mace" means an aerosol propelled combination of highly disabling irritant pepper-based products.

(ii) "Pepper mace" is also known as oleoresin capsicum (o.c.) spray.

(4) "Star knife" means a device used as a throwing weapon, consisting of several sharp or pointed blades arrayed as radially disposed arms about a central disk.

(5) (i) "Weapon" includes a dirk knife, bowie knife, switchblade knife, star knife, sandclub, metal knuckles, razor, and nunchaku.

(ii) "Weapon" does not include:

1. a handgun; or

2. a penknife without a switchblade.

(b) Exceptions for certain individuals.- This section does not prohibit the following individuals from carrying a weapon:

(1) an officer of the State, or of any county or municipal corporation of the State, who is entitled or required to carry the weapon as part of the officer's official equipment, or by any conservator of the peace, who is entitled or required to carry the weapon as part of the conservator's official equipment, or by any officer or conservator of the peace of another state who is temporarily in this State;

(2) a special agent of a railroad;

(3) a holder of a permit to carry a handgun issued under Title 5, Subtitle 3 of the Public Safety Article; or

(4) an individual who carries the weapon as a reasonable precaution against apprehended danger, subject to the right of the court in an action arising under this section to judge the reasonableness of the carrying of the weapon, and the proper occasion for carrying it, under the evidence in the case.

(c) Prohibited.-

(1) A person may not wear or carry a dangerous weapon of any kind concealed on or about the person.

(2) A person may not wear or carry a dangerous weapon, chemical mace, pepper mace, or a tear gas device openly with the intent or purpose of injuring an individual in an unlawful manner.

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    Sounds like someone could use a "pocket sword"!
    I am quite pleased with my Cold Steel Voyager X2 and my Cold Steel Rajah II and definitely feel prepared when I'm carrying them.

Peaceful John

May 31, 2011
    Here in California, Rob, we're not permitted to carry fixed blades except under narrowly defined circumstances. My work-around is an Emerson folder (CQC-7 with the "wave feature"). The wave feature, which opens and locks the blade upon with a pocket draw, is the material characteristic.

In many ways, within arms reach, it doesn't seen to make much difference to trained folks whether a gun or a good knife was immediately available. Please see Felix Valencia's training videos on You-Tube for examples of how he employs a blade.

Cordially,
    John

MD=What 2nd Amendment?

S&W Fanboy. I admit it.
    Jun 3, 2011
    Allegany County
    I carry a buck knife everywhere I go but it is not fixed. I have been searched once when I got pulled over with my brother. He lied to me and told me his license was reinstated and we just happened to get pulled over. Well he got arrested for driving on a suspended license and they ran my license and searched me and let me take the car home instead of towing it. The officer ask me if I had any weapons or anything that would cut or poke him. My response was "I don't have any weapons but I do have a penknife without switchblade mechinism in my pocket." He just looked at me like I was a sarcastic prick.

I wouldn't open or concealed carry anything with a fixed blade although I see a lot of guys do it up here in Allegany/Garrett County. I wouldn't even try it down state.

vin

Ultimate Member
    Mar 19, 2009
    Bowie, MD
    I've been carrying this fixed Kershaw for some months now with no problems at all. It's not a large knife though, 2 1/2" blade, 6" overall, and only about $50. It came with a black leather sheath that sticks down about 1 inch lower than a mini maglite sheath so it doesn't draw much attention. I work downtown Annapolis and the only people that have noticed or asked about it wanted to see the new knife I got. I know not many people oc knives around here but I've had no issues. It also can't hurt that I work on boats and can use the "it's for work" line. I always have 3 blades with me, the kershaw, leatherman, and a folding razor knife for a beater.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1311376625.376656.jpg
      ImageUploadedByTapatalk1311376625.376656.jpg
      25.5 KB · Views: 2,070

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    I used to wear a Buck 119 or a Schade ph1 . I never had an issue with LEO it.I wore it everywhere bars , shopping , you name it they saw it plenty of times . I was searched going into the toy run one year when it was at GM and LEO didnt say a word about it . The only reason i dont carry a fixed blade regularly now is they get in the way at work .

ThatIsAFact

Mar 5, 2007
    Handgun permit holders are exempt from 4-101

And my permit is for pistols only, can't CCW a knife, which is ridiculous, but whatever.Jim

It is true that Maryland issues what is labeled as a "Permit to Carry a Handgun," which allows the permit holder to carry a handgun without violating the general handgun anti-carry law, Criminal Law Article Section 4-203. But the statute that prohibits carrying a concealed "dangerous weapon" (such as a fixed-blade knife), CLA Article Section 4-101, which Andras has quoted above, also contains an explicit exception for anyone who holds such a handgun permit. So yes, as a handgun permit holder, you can also carry a concealed fixed-blade knife, without violating state law.

ThatIsAFact

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I carried a K-Bar TDI for about a year while I was on duty. Not only is there no way to call it anything but a weapon, it's the least instinctive to use knife I've ever held. You were supposed to almost punch with it. Gave it to a buddy before he went back to Iraq, figured it might make good trade bait.

Biggie313

Molon Labe
    Feb 23, 2010
    Essex
    After reading everything I could, and even asking several troopers (which i know not to trust, just wanted their view on the law) carrying a fixed blade is only legal if you have a good and substantial reason. like a filet knife while fishing, or gutting knife while hunting, but carrying a ka-bar while walking down-town is illegal.

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008
    Bottom line is, in MD, you'll either be breaking the law or get harrassed if you want to ensure your own safety. My opinion isthis, do what your conscience will allow. If that means being completely defenseless, then so be it. If that means preparing yourself, then so be that. There is no way to completely satisfy the two sides of this argument. MD is just too overrun with idiots, both political and social, to accomodate all of it's tax paying, law abiding citizens.
    Your best weapon is still your brain!

And yes, I agree. Which means, detection and avoidance, are the number one priorities (as with any type of awareness and self-defense mindset).

But, yes, it would be nice to have tools in hands or at the ready when action is the only and last resort.

BurtonRW

Oct 19, 2007
    Pasadena
    After reading everything I could, and even asking several troopers (which i know not to trust, just wanted their view on the law) carrying a fixed blade is only legal if you have a good and substantial reason. like a filet knife while fishing, or gutting knife while hunting, but carrying a ka-bar while walking down-town is illegal.

Okay, so starting with the assumption that the Troopers you asked couldn't find the law if they were in a law library, what other sources led you to this conclusion, which is so far removed from the actual law, I've got to know?

I didn't start this thread to ask what the law says (although I certainly don't object to the thread drift for the edification of the members), but I'm an attorney and I know damn well what the law says.

Criminal Article, section 4-101(c)(2) is controlling, and the only pertinent section of the Code to my original question. Here it is, in all its glory:

CR 4-101(c)(2) A person may not wear or carry a dangerous weapon, chemical mace, pepper mace, or a tear gas device openly with the intent or purpose of injuring an individual in an unlawful manner.

So yes, you can carry whatever dangerous weapon you damned well please, so long as you don't intend to use it unlawfully. You can even carry it for its use as a weapon, as long as you don't intend to use it unlawfully.

Self defense is a lawful act, even in Maryland. As long as the situation meets the standard for using lethal force (just like a defensive shooting), you're GTG. The burden is on the state to prove that you intended to use the weapon in an unlawful manner.

My original question was, who here has, or does, carry a fixed blade openly and how bad is the level of LEO harassment you deal with because of it.

But the discussion on the various interpretations of this rather clearly stated law is most interesting. I'd love to hear from any actual LEOs on the board with a different take.

Oh, and the reference by Jerry M to "Article 27", if anyone cares, is an outdated reference to the 1957 edition of the Maryland Code. It has been revised over the last 40 years or so to it's current, topically indexed, form.

-Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom