• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BurtonRW

Oct 19, 2007
    Pasadena
    Hey guys,

My assistant wants to get into hunting (has family/friends pestering her to join them), but hasn't done the required ed for a license.

I'm not a hunter. Can anyone advise as to current availability of any hunter safety courses and/or anything else I don't know to tell her?

Thanks!

-Rob

boule

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2008
    Galt's Gulch
    If I am not mistaken, the last courses were mid-November.

I would advise her to find some hunter to tag along with this season and then take the course once they start up again in May/June.

BurtonRW

Oct 19, 2007
    Pasadena
    I guess I should have mentioned that I AM familiar with DNR and their website. I was just wondering if it was telling the whole story (i.e., no more hunter ed courses this year/season/etc.).

I'll pass along the advice. Thanks!

boule

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2008
    Galt's Gulch
    I was just wondering if it was telling the whole story (i.e., no more hunter ed courses this year/season/etc.)

All the hunter ed courses are reported to the DNR, so if the list is not showing any - bad luck. There is still the online course she could take but they require a field day and those are not available before 2010.

tttongli

Oct 3, 2008
    HOWARD
    I would advise her to find some hunter to tag along with this season.

On the hunter edu course I asked this question, if spectators without a license can tag along, and the ranger said better not walk the line.

Any rangers here can correct me otherwise?

boule

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2008
    Galt's Gulch
    On the hunter edu course I asked this question, if spectators without a license can tag along, and the ranger said better not walk the line.

That ranger comment is pretty much BS. If the land is not closed with "access for hunters only" there is no reason not to take someone along. As long as they do not have a firearm in their posession they are not breaking any laws and having someone to help you carry is always nice :)

tttongli

Oct 3, 2008
    HOWARD
    That ranger comment is pretty much BS. If the land is not closed with "access for hunters only" there is no reason not to take someone along. As long as they do not have a firearm in their posession they are not breaking any laws and having someone to help you carry is always nice :)

but isn't this similar to "constructive intent"? I think this will be up to the ranger at the scene.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JOELEWIS419

Latest threads

Top Bottom