• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wbw2123

Nov 19, 2012
    Today I picked up a great late production colt 604 upper from GottaEat and was pretty excited, so I slapped it on one of my pre-ban lowers with a D stock to make an Air Force clone. Hope you guys like it as much as I do. This is my first slick side. The second picture is it's smaller land based cousin. Sorry the phone pictures suck. Thanks again GottaEat.

Attachments

• IMAG2193.jpg
      IMAG2193.jpg
      41.8 KB · Views: 573
    • IMAG2156.jpg
      IMAG2156.jpg
      95 KB · Views: 569

5.56blaster

Ultimate Member
    I carried both of them in the USAF. Had a slick side that was marked Colts AR-15. It was safe-semi-full. I carried another one marked XM-177. It was slick side with a short barrel and long flash hider. Thanks for the flash back!

wbw2123

Nov 19, 2012
    I carried both of them in the USAF. Had a slick side that was marked Colts AR-15. It was safe-semi-full. I carried another one marked XM-177. It was slick side with a short barrel and long flash hider. Thanks for the flash back!

Glad it brought back some good memories.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    I am working on an A2 build as well. However, I must have the shell deflector as I am left handed. Since I cannot truly get to that retro level you achieved, I will be building a little more modern A2. Rather than just go with black furniture, I will be building mine in green. Should be interesting. Should also save money on parts. Those old M16 parts are somewhat expensive.

wbw2123

Nov 19, 2012
    I am working on an A2 build as well. However, I must have the shell deflector as I am left handed. Since I cannot truly get to that retro level you achieved, I will be building a little more modern A2. Rather than just go with black furniture, I will be building mine in green. Should be interesting. Should also save money on parts. Those old M16 parts are somewhat expensive.

If you want to do a retro build with the Brunton bump look at the Colt Diameco C7.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Today I picked up a great late production colt 604 upper from GottaEat and was pretty excited, so I slapped it on one of my pre-ban lowers with a D stock to make an Air Force clone. Hope you guys like it as much as I do. This is my first slick side. The second picture is it's smaller land based cousin. Sorry the phone pictures suck. Thanks again GottaEat.

I've got to ask, is that black electrical tape on the hand guards in the bottom picture? If so what's it there for?

wbw2123

Nov 19, 2012
    I've got to ask, is that black electrical tape on the hand guards in the bottom picture? If so what's it there for?

The tape is holding the cleaning rod sections to the hand guards. You'll also notice that the trigger guard is taped back. This carbine was built to look like a field expedient rifle carried by an RT member in Vietnam. I used the pictures below as inspiration. I found them through a search, but I think if you do an image search it leads back to another forum that I'm not a member of. I think the picture of the hooch girl is credited to one of the team members who carried the carbine.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      65.2 KB · Views: 289
    • Image31.jpg
      Image31.jpg
      12.5 KB · Views: 286
    • Car15.jpg
      Car15.jpg
      18.4 KB · Views: 284

wbw2123

Nov 19, 2012
    Here is my take on the middle picture and also a picture of the XM177E2 before the tape.

Attachments

• Retro Friends.jpg
      Retro Friends.jpg
      49.3 KB · Views: 282
    • Retro XM177E2.jpg
      Retro XM177E2.jpg
      87.8 KB · Views: 283

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    The tape is holding the cleaning rod sections to the hand guards. You'll also notice that the trigger guard is taped back. This carbine was built to look like a field expedient rifle carried by an RT member in Vietnam. I used the pictures below as inspiration. I found them through a search, but I think if you do an image search it leads back to another forum that I'm not a member of. I think the picture of the hooch girl is credited to one of the team members who carried the carbine.

Thanks, for the explanation, now I want to build one too.
    I need to stop looking at these threads.:thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom