• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • S.M.I.B

May 21, 2013
    Calvert County
    Wife woke me up about 2am and said something was attacking our Mastiff in the back yard. I ran down with a flashlight to find a grey fox following her around. We got her inside and I figured I would deal with it in the morning but most likely would be gone. I wake up this morning and find my son let our other dog out and since i didn't hear any barking it must be gone. Nope. Fox is just laying there stretching someand sunning itself. The dog just looks mildly curious, sniffs at it, then moves on. I called the dog in and the fox stood up and is now walking circles around my yard.

Attachments

• 20200619_080729.jpg
      20200619_080729.jpg
      126.8 KB · Views: 1,430
    • 20200619_080656.jpg
      20200619_080656.jpg
      117.5 KB · Views: 1,442

S.M.I.B

May 21, 2013
    Calvert County
    Animal control on it's way. They didn't open until 830. After that will get them to the vet. No bites on either of them. I am more surprised our Ridgeback didn't go after it. He probably just wore it out trying to play thinking we got another puppy.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    If you touched the mastiff or other dog after it contacted the fox you need to let animal control know that as well.

frogman68

товарищ плачевная
    Apr 7, 2013
    you have a snowflake mastiff ? One could swipe of its paw would kill that fox LOL

S.M.I.B

May 21, 2013
    Calvert County
    Animal control picked it up. 45 day quarantine for the dogs. Looks like a trip to the vet for a rabies booster. No bites on either dog so should be ok.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    You should see your doctor. Any contact with the dogs could result in rabies being transmitted to humans. My daughter had to get the shots when she was 4 years old because she had contact with puppies that ended up having rabies. No bites or scratches on her, but was told she was still at risk for infection without the shots. Not worth taking the risk.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    My old man had a fox do the same thing with his dog a few years ago. The fox was acting up and on the dog so he grabbed his driver out of his bag by the door and clubbed it to death.

When he did it, some of the blood from the fox or the dog (health folks weren't sure) got on his face so he needed to be quarantined so couldnt go to the base or be around any people until testing was complete and they were sure no transmission occured.
    Man he was freeakin pissed.

DCSCO

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2008
    Frederick County
    Animal control on it's way. They didn't open until 830. After that will get them to the vet. No bites on either of them. I am more surprised our Ridgeback didn't go after it. He probably just wore it out trying to play thinking we got another puppy.

I thought ridgebacks were bred not to attack lions but to charge as a group and pull off, keeping the lion pinned for the hunter. Makes a good watch dog without the liability of attack.

I’m no expert, that was shared by a Ridge back owner.

S.M.I.B

May 21, 2013
    Calvert County
    Wasn't saying surprised by the Ridgeback because of the breed. He just turned 1 and still has a lot of puppy in him. I figured he would of forced a confrontation just trying to play.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom