• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nerfherder

Apr 22, 2011
    right here
    If you watch his videos closely, Jerry Miculek wears both a lot of the time. I figure he knows more than I do, so I double up, too.

campns

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2013
    Germantown, MD
    I like the Surefire EP3's they really do a great job, they are only NRR of 24, you can hear conversations but block out the upper sounds.

and in a indoor range I do use Howard Leight Slimline earmuff's too. but keep in mind a combination like this only gains you probably 4-10 db more reduction over your highest rated hearing protection.

then again I was born deaf on my left side so I've always been fussy about my hearing.

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    When I shoot anything really loud, or even when I am next to someone shooting a loud gun, I have ear muffs on, but also put a foam plug in my ear, on the same side as my cheek weld. Sometimes the cheek weld displaces the ear muff. I learned the hard way, have had some ringing in my left ear for a while.

vandrv

Oct 8, 2013
    Harford County
    plugs and muffs - double up.
    You only have 1 shot as saving your hearing
    It may be overkill, but I would rather err on the side of caution.

This is my theory as well. I always double up indoors. I have tinnitus pretty bad anyway and don't want to make it worse.

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    This is my theory as well. I always double up indoors. I have tinnitus pretty bad anyway and don't want to make it worse.
    Same here and I agree... in a loud environment (indoors or next to an SBR or high powered rifle with a brake) I always double up. Can't get any better, trying to keep em from getting worse.

I use mostly linear comps on my AR pistol/short barreled builds to minimize the noise and concussion to the shooter and those around him.

rdc

Ultimate Member
    Dec 3, 2010
    Middlefingurton
    Lately I've been using foam plugs with electric muffs. The amplification from the electric muffs helps me hear range commands etc over the plugs. And the plugs help my right ear when cheekweld shifts my muffs.
    Protect your hearing while you can. I've had mild ringing for years and it's been getting worse recently. Think about it when not shooting also. Constant droning sound can do damage even if it's not that loud. I'm pretty sure most of my damage is from air tools and motorcycle wind noise.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Same here and I agree... in a loud environment (indoors or next to an SBR or high powered rifle with a brake) I always double up. Can't get any better, trying to keep em from getting worse.

I use mostly linear comps on my AR pistol/short barreled builds to minimize the noise and concussion to the shooter and those around him.

Yeah I've started looking at what it'll take to get linear comps for some of my guns.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom