Rifle can: SiCo Omega, SiCo Hybrid, or Rugged Surge?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    So I'm looking for a rifle can. I've already got a pistol can in jail, and I have a rimfire can picked out, so now it's time to pick a dedicated rifle can.

The can I have in jail is a Silencerco Octane 9HD (I only shoot 9mm for centerfire pistols.) The rimfire can I will likely end up with is a Silencerco Spectre II. With both of these, I like the sturdiness, the ease of disassembly and cleaning, and the overall performance. The fact that they come from a large established name with a good warranty and customer service is also important.

For the rifle can, I was looking pretty hard at the Silencerco Omega and had just about settled on one. Then they introduced the Hybrid, and then I found out about the Rugged Surge 7.62, so now I'm a bit undecided, and I thought I'd ask for everyone's thoughts on these three cans.

My requirements:
    1) 7.62 - I'm going to use this to shoot .300BLK and 5.56. I will not likely ever own any other major rifle calibers, but it's remotely possible that I'll own a 7.62x51 bolt gun at some point, so a 7.62 can will cover all my needs.

2) Strong / good warranty - I don't want to *have* to buy another one. (I know that I'll likely succumb sooner or later and buy more just because. But I don't want to "have" to if something wears out.) If something does break, I want a company that'll repair it or replace it. I'm not likely to shoot full auto through it a bunch, but I want something that'll stand up to some hard use if I want it to.

3) Good suppression. It needs to keep the stuff I'll be shooting hearing safe, but if I can get the "best" suppression in the class so much the better.

4) Price. I would like to keep the price under a grand.

So to the choices:

SilencerCo Omega -
    Pros:
    I like that it's from SilencerCo.
    I like the performance, size, etc. I like that it's lightweight.
    Titanium Tube.
    Acceptable price.

Cons:
    It *should* be durable, but it's got a stellite blast baffle with the rest of the stack being stainless as opposed to a full stellite stack. I've also heard about the baffles separating from the tube when the rocksett that secures them gets too hot. SiCo repairs them, and it's not a safety issue because the baffle stack is welded, but that would suck

SilencerCo Hybrid -
    Pros:
    From SilencerCo
    Works on just about any platform and caliber - I could use this on a 9mm subgun if I wanted to, though my Octane will do that too.

Cons:
    It's very new with lots of unknowns - there aren't documented tests of dB levels out there yet.

Rugged Surge 7.62 -
    Pros:
    Designed and made by ex-SWR guys.
    VERY sturdy. Full Stellite baffle stack, very hefty stainless tube.
    Mount is very solid and less likely to have issues. (No teeth to break or wear)
    Incredible warranty (if the company will be around).
    Modular - can be 7.5" or 9".

Cons:
    It's from a new, smaller company.
    Few dealers.

So what input do you guys have?

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    You have a 9mm can already - the Hybrid seems like the wrong choice just based on that alone, unless you intend to use it on a .45 caliber pistol host and your rifles. Just remember: Jack of all trades, master of none. Cool idea, but I wouldn't go this route for my collection.

The Omega is pleasant, but you should remember to add 1.4" and ~4oz to the published figures when using the QD module. I don't enjoy cans that have a modular mounting system that threads apart from the main body of the can, like the Omega and the Saker. It's really annoying when taking the can off.

I would chance on the Rugged Surge 7.62 if I could get it at a comparable price to the Omega. SWR had the more innovative designs in my opinion. The barrel lengths the can is warrantied down too are also shorter my a large margin. For example, the Omega can only shoot .308 down to 16" if you want to keep your warranty whilst the Surge can be shot on a .308 down to 12" (meaning your SBR SCAR 17" has a can!).

If you're only shooting 300BLK, 5.56mm, and don't intend to shoot .308 then may I suggest a shorty 30 cal can instead of the ones you've suggested? You don't need the whole 8-9" of suppressor for subcal shooting. Checkout the Rugger Razor 762 instead of the Surge.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    You have a 9mm can already - the Hybrid seems like the wrong choice just based on that alone, unless you intend to use it on a .45 caliber pistol host and your rifles. Just remember: Jack of all trades, master of none. Cool idea, but I wouldn't go this route for my collection.

This is a good point.

The Omega is pleasant, but you should remember to add 1.4" and ~4oz to the published figures when using the QD module. I don't enjoy cans that have a modular mounting system that threads apart from the main body of the can, like the Omega and the Saker. It's really annoying when taking the can off.

So do you basically just not use QD cans? Or are there ones out there with QD systems that don't thread off?

I would chance on the Rugged Surge 7.62 if I could get it at a comparable price to the Omega.

They're probably within $50 of each other, street price. I am really leaning in this direction.

If you're only shooting 300BLK, 5.56mm, and don't intend to shoot .308 then may I suggest a shorty 30 cal can instead of the ones you've suggested? You don't need the whole 8-9" of suppressor for subcal shooting. Checkout the Rugger Razor 762 instead of the Surge.

That's a good thought, and the Razor is about $100 cheaper, street price, but it looks like it probably gives up a some suppression to the Surge too. Maybe only a couple of dB depending on where you look, though...

Not on your list but cheaper option is to build one :)

Yeah, and I probably will at some point just to do it. For now though I am looking commercial.

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    So do you basically just not use QD cans? Or are there ones out there with QD systems that don't thread off?

My rifle cans are all QD actually, just not ones whose QD mount system ALSO disconnects from the can. I've got a SpecWar 762 and Surefire 556 for my rifles; the bodies and mount systems are one single assembly instead of two like the Omega and Saker.

That's a good thought, and the Razor is about $100 cheaper, street price, but it looks like it probably gives up a some suppression to the Surge too. Maybe only a couple of dB depending on where you look, though...

I don't know that it's giving up anything except .308. Suppression figures of 300BLK and 556 are within 1dB of the 7" Surge: https://youtu.be/n157guuYJdQ

If you don't foresee owning a threaded .308 then I think the Surge is a waste because you'll never use the 9" configuration; more money, more weight, more length.

Jollyllama

Ultimate Member
    Apr 9, 2012
    Carroll county
    Have you ruled out the Specwar? It has a full satellite baffle stack and is less expensive at the cost of weight. The mount locks up solid on mine with less screwing on than the surge appears to have in the video.

Omega would allow you to swap out mounting options if you have several, but if you don't I don't see the draw to that. Plus you buy the mount separately if IIRC.

Surge is new, silencerco is probably the most stable company in the business for down the road repairs.

Doubt there is a bad choice here, but for shear longevity I'd go with Specwar. But if you wore one of them out I'm sure it would be replaced/ rebuilt by the manufacturer.

If you don't plan on using it for a pistol, the hybrid seems like the worst choice.

Just my opinion. Except for some of the stuff that is fact.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    I chose the omega bc I already have a pistol and 22 can. If i wanted the ultimate in versatity I would have went for the hybrid and forgone the pistol can.

Semper Noctem

Desk Rabbit
    Aug 9, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    I went with a 30 cal YHM Phantom for my first can for all the reasons you mentioned.

Additionally, YHM has excellent customer service, their mounts are cheaper than the competition (though ugly), and the price was surely right.

I also like that the ratchet is on the mount, not the can. When the ratchet starts to act up, I can change out the mount rather than having to send the can back for work.

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    Doubt there is a bad choice here, but for shear longevity I'd go with Specwar. But if you wore one of them out I'm sure it would be replaced/ rebuilt by the manufacturer.

It's long and hefty at 24oz. If he's not shooting 308 there's absolutely zero reason for a SpecWar 762 - it's just too much can. Despite owning one, I simply don't recommend it as there are better choices in my opinion. He's better off getting a can more tailored for 300BLK based on his current requirements; SureFire SOCOM300-SPS, Griffin Recce 7, maybe even AAC SR-7 etc.

Semper Noctem

Desk Rabbit
    Aug 9, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Also, I always chuckle to myself when I hear folks talk about a can being too heavy. Granted, the SpecWar is 24 oz... but damn, hit the gym folks.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    Also, I always chuckle to myself when I hear folks talk about a can being too heavy. Granted, the SpecWar is 24 oz... but damn, hit the gym folks.

look, we don't all want our cans huge and heavy. Sometimes just a handful is...

oh wait, wrong thread :lol2:

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Thunder Beast.

They have direct thread and brake/flash suppressor mount.

Virtually no POI shift with TB.

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo

Keep chuckling, there's a reason the military uses tiny shorty cans and not 24oz 9" behemoths. KAC's shorty cans all have an assigned NSN.

24oz at the END of your gun is a stupid place to put 24oz. Polar moment of inertia, lever/fulcrum, etc.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    My rifle cans are all QD actually, just not ones whose QD mount system ALSO disconnects from the can. I've got a SpecWar 762 and Surefire 556 for my rifles; the bodies and mount systems are one single assembly instead of two like the Omega and Saker.

Somehow I missed that the mount was integral in the SpecWar.

I don't know that it's giving up anything except .308. Suppression figures of 300BLK and 556 are within 1dB of the 7" Surge: https://youtu.be/n157guuYJdQ

I didn't realize it was that close. I was watching some other videos where I thought it was more than that.

Have you ruled out the Specwar? It has a full satellite baffle stack and is less expensive at the cost of weight.

I kind of have, for the reasons that Orbital mentioned above - heavy and long, and an old (kind of) design. Also has the same mounting weaknesses that the Omega does. (Not that it's a "weak" mount per se, just that the one on the Rugged is likely better for long term.)

Omega would allow you to swap out mounting options if you have several, but if you don't I don't see the draw to that. Plus you buy the mount separately if IIRC.

It comes with the ASR mount. Theoretically the swapability is nice, but I would never use it except maaaaaaaaaaybe on a theoretical bolt gun that I don't even presently own.

Surge is new, silencerco is probably the most stable company in the business for down the road repairs.

This is honestly one of the biggest things holding me back. SilencerCo is likely to be around for a while, and while I hope Rugged will make it, who knows? Rugged's warranty is awesome though, if they live up to it.

I did some more thinking and some window shopping today, and I am leaning even more toward the Rugged. I just need to do some more research on the functional differences between the Surge and Razor.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    I was trying to decide between the same three cans as you.

I held in my hands today, and got to check thier mounts. The Surge, the Omega and the 7.62 Specwar.

First I eliminated the Hybrid. I don't need anything over.30cal. If I ever want to suppress .45, I will buy a dedicated can instead of making do.

I have 5.56 Specwar. All my 5.56 rifles have ASR mounts.

The 7.62 Specwar is long and heavy. Really heavy. It's the least expensive though. Locks up really tight with the ASR mount. Too heavy, I eliminated it.

The Omega, about $150 more than the Specwar. Much lighter and about 3" shorter. It comes with the ASR mount, a direct 5/8x24 mount and an ASR muzzle brake. Really great mount. Replacable endcap, really well made.

The Surge, about $150 more than the Omega and probably above your $1000 threshold. Super light, very nice mount. The ability to add 2 extra baffles if needed. (9" v 7.5"). Very nice. I would pay the extra and get this over the Razor.

The right choice for me was the Omega. Which I can now use on my rifles that have ASR mounts. I'm also a big fan of Silencerco customer service.

The Surge is a great option. I would have had a much harder time choosing if I did not already use ASR mounts. But, I think I would have still chosen the Omega. It is just much simpler.

Anyway, hope that helped

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    Also has the same mounting weaknesses that the Omega does. (Not that it's a "weak" mount per se, just that the one on the Rugged is likely better for long term.)

It does not have the same mounting weaknesses. The QD lock and brake are shared between the two, but the SpecWar does not a removable 'module' that is separate from the can. I'm not explaining it very well I'm afraid.

This is the thing I'm talking about: http://www.store.silencerco.com/col...ssories/products/harvester-big-bore-asr-mount

That's included in the box with the Omega. It receives the brake and threads into the can. The brake is secured by a lock, but the module itself isn't secured beyond torque. I don't like this type of setup; cans shouldn't be modular on the mounting end. However, the ASR lock does minimize the possibility the can could thread off the ASR module and leave that attached to the brake.

The Omega, about $150 more than the Specwar. Much lighter and about 3" shorter.

The QD module brings it 8".

The Surge, about $150 more than the Omega and probably above your $1000 threshold. Super light, very nice mount. The ability to add 2 extra baffles if needed. (9" v 7.5"). Very nice. I would pay the extra and get this over the Razor.
    SilencerShop has all of these cans under $1000 and I know several of our IPs are SilencerShop dealers/partners or whatever. If he's not shooting .308, it's a wasted capability he's paying penalties for.

Hawkeye

The Leatherstocking
    Jan 29, 2009
    It does not have the same mounting weaknesses. The QD lock and brake are shared between the two, but the SpecWar does not a removable 'module' that is separate from the can. I'm not explaining it very well I'm afraid.

This is the thing I'm talking about: http://www.store.silencerco.com/col...ssories/products/harvester-big-bore-asr-mount

I'm probably phrasing it poorly when I say "mounting weakness." I wasn't necessarily referring to the fact that the mount screws in to the can, but the mount system itself. I know that the ASR is a good system or whatever, but I have seen people complaining that the little teeth on the locking arms and the mounts wear out after extended use and locking / unlocking. I know they're replaceable or whatever, but the double taper locking system that the Rugged suppressors use seems like a better solution to the problem to me, because it doesn't rely on the little teeth. It's like what Henry Graham would have made had he stayed at SWR / SilencerCo.

The brake is secured by a lock, but the module itself isn't secured beyond torque. I don't like this type of setup; cans shouldn't be modular on the mounting end.

It seems like a lot of cans are moving in that direction, both pistol and rifle, as the current trend is toward total modularity.

However, the ASR lock does minimize the possibility the can could thread off the ASR module and leave that attached to the brake.

Is there something internal in there that locks the mount to the tube then? I understand how it locks the mount to the brake.

SilencerShop has all of these cans under $1000 and I know several of our IPs are SilencerShop dealers/partners or whatever. If he's not shooting .308, it's a wasted capability he's paying penalties for.

Yeah. SilencerShop has the Razor for just over $800 (but it's backordered), the Surge is like $950, and I should be able to get the Omega for that neighborhood too.

No mention of the Saker...?

I guess I never considered it because I thought it was way more expensive than the others. I does come in right over a thousand bucks, so it's not horrendous, but according to SilencerCo's numbers, the Omega offers a lot better suppression. The Saker should be more sturdy, but for the money...

Man, there are just so many choices. :)

Jliggo

Feb 6, 2013
    Good Deal on Rugged in MD

Hello,
    I purchased the Surge 762 and Obsidian, the jail sentence should be ending this month for the surge.

I purchased the Obsidian from Shaun at Simply silent and got an awesome deal. Tell him jliggo from Md Shooters sent you. Not affiliated with his business just a happy customer.. 443-990-1376
    j

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom