• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TGR

May 20, 2009
    Harford County
    New 300 Blackout build with Aero Precision Upper/Lower, BCA Barrel, and Prime Weaponry BCG.

When I check headspace with Clymer Guages it will not close on the GO or the NO-GO gauge. The bolt closes with resistance on a factory round but leaves marks (not dents) at the shoulder.

I swapped the BCG with a Bushmaster BCG from my competition gun. Everything works perfect. Closes on the GO, doesn’t close on the NO-GO and closes normally on a factory round.

Should I return the BCG? Will it break-in after a short period of shooting?

Suggestions?

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    It's not the entire BCG that's the problem, just the bolt. It doesn't headspace, and that's a safety issue. You're mixing one company's bolt and another's barrel and either one or both (i.e. tolerance stackup) could be very slightly out of spec, causing the headspace problem. The bolt, barrel, or both, should be returned unless you have a chamber finish reamer handy.

TGR

May 20, 2009
    Harford County
    It's not the entire BCG that's the problem, just the bolt. It doesn't headspace, and that's a safety issue. You're mixing one company's bolt and another's barrel and either one or both (i.e. tolerance stackup) could be very slightly out of spec, causing the headspace problem. The bolt, barrel, or both, should be returned unless you have a chamber finish reamer handy.

That’s what I figured. I’m going to send the BCG back since I bought it assembled and have them send me a new one. Hopefully fixes the issue. In the meantime, I’ll see how it shoots with the Bushmaster BCG.

Thanks.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    I would not buy a BCGs from just anyone. With the surge in the market from Obama and some of the recent rhetoric, there are literally companies popping up every day many of which are selling "cheaply" priced stuff which is actually Chinese junk and actually ripping you off. Toolcraft is the preferred AR maker of BCGs, There are few others but Spikes, BCM, PSA, brownells, midway, optics planet, Joe Bobs are far better places to buy a BCG because they have been around a while and will not purposely sell you Chinese junk. Also be doubly careful with coated BCGs mainly NiB (nickel boron) some BCG makers do not make sure the their part the BCG is machined slightly smaller to accept the coating layer so it can also push a part out of tolerance.

TGR

May 20, 2009
    Harford County
    Well. Got a new bolt. That one didn’t headspace either. So it’s the barrel. Primary Arms already shipped me a new BCA barrel. It’s on the mail now. I’ll let you know how it goes.

bmorewineguy

Sep 29, 2013
    Edgewater
    Well. Got a new bolt. That one didn’t headspace either. So it’s the barrel. Primary Arms already shipped me a new BCA barrel. It’s on the mail now. I’ll let you know how it goes.

Are the bolts coated in Nickle Boron or chromed? Sometimes they won't headspace on a tight but in spec chamber which could be why your other bolt headspaced.

TGR

May 20, 2009
    Harford County
    Bolt is stripped when checking headspace. Two bolts failed (one Nickle Boron and one not) the one bolt that passed was a used bolt with about a 1000 rounds thru it. The chamber felt tight when chambering a round and I think was reshaping the shoulders a slightly. In my opinion the chamber is out of tolerances, but we will see when the new barrel arrives.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    BCA Barrels have this issue often.

I usually have to lap them.

Remove the upper and BCG. Manually insert a live round in the chamber and seat it as far as you ca can with your finger. Once fully inserted into the chamber the round should be able to be shaken out or pushed out with a cleaning rod from the muzzle with little resistance Some have chambers that are not round or too small diameter wise.

TGR

May 20, 2009
    Harford County
    Ok. Got the new barrel from Primary Arms. With a little effort, it headspaced. BCA specs musts be on the tighter side. Things worked in together fine with some working of the action.

I ran 5 different loads thru it from 220 subs to 110s without a hiccup. Have to say the BCA barrel was pretty darn accurate with a 5 shot group of 0.56 with factory ammo and a Red Dot at 50 yards.

The Bolt Carrier Group from Prime Weaponry worked great. Great workmanship, staking was well done, NiB looks great. They had great reviews, not the cheapest, but thought I’d give them a try since it looked like quality workmanship. I think it’s going to be a good setup.

Thanks for the info guys

Last edited:

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    BCA Barrels have this issue often.

I usually have to lap them.

Remove the upper and BCG. Manually insert a live round in the chamber and seat it as far as you ca can with your finger. Once fully inserted into the chamber the round should be able to be shaken out or pushed out with a cleaning rod from the muzzle with little resistance Some have chambers that are not round or too small diameter wise.

Resharpening the same chamber reamer a little too much, maybe?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom