• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    Do "budget" and "1000 yards" even belong in the same sentence?

Not really unless you get lucky.

That said my first 1000 yard rifle was an M96 Swede with an all steel Redfield rear aperture with hunting knobs and a Lyman 17 on the front. That rig was just shy of competitive at the state a regional level.

My first real scope went on a 6.5-06 I built for 1000 yard use. That scope was a well worn Unertl 10X 1-1/4" Target that I wish I had never sold. I didn't get a scope I considered superior to it until I bought a Nightforce.

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena

It can be done, but I agree. 6.5 RPR and an SWFA 10X can be considered budget. But your still in the $1500 range. Grandpa's 30-06 and a 2-7X aren't probably going to give you the best results at 1000 yds.

Ronan

3D Printing Guru
    Jul 30, 2018
    Annapolis, MD

From the hundred of threads all over the web and the bucket load of videos, I think so.

We will see when I find a 1000 yard range (and when ever Davidson decides to ship my stripped upper).

I have heard really good things about the custom 6.5 grendel build I'm doing. So curious. Most were using a 20" barrel for 1000 yard hits. So 24"...

Ronan

3D Printing Guru
    Jul 30, 2018
    Annapolis, MD

fidelity

piled higher and deeper
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2012
    Frederick County
    looks like vortex just dropped their answer to the athlon argos...

http://www.vortexoptics.com/category/diamondback_tactical_riflescopes

new diamondback tactical in first focal plane. same price point as the argos with similar features.

i swear every time i think i'm done buying and building i find another reason to need another rifle
    Wow, thanks for the heads up. The 6-24x looks attractive. Might be something to shop/check reviews in the future.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Not really unless you get lucky.

That said my first 1000 yard rifle was an M96 Swede with an all steel Redfield rear aperture with hunting knobs and a Lyman 17 on the front. That rig was just shy of competitive at the state a regional level.

My first real scope went on a 6.5-06 I built for 1000 yard use. That scope was a well worn Unertl 10X 1-1/4" Target that I wish I had never sold. I didn't get a scope I considered superior to it until I bought a Nightforce.

My TC Compass falls into the really lucky category.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Dan Newberry will rent a rifle to do his long range course. The rental rifle has a 10x SWFA Super Sniper. A buddy used this rifle and easily made hits at 1000 yards. .308 Win.

A Viper PST FFP would be very good, I have taken mine to 1200 yards. A Gen II would be even better.

ESPECIALLY with optics, Buy Once, Cry Once. Don't cheap out on optics, you will just be buying better later.

Major03

Ultimate Member
    ESPECIALLY with optics, Buy Once, Cry Once. Don't cheap out on optics, you will just be buying better later.

Nobody likes to spend more than they need to, and people like to think they have gotten a bargain, but I really think optics are one of those things in life that this is true, you get what you pay for.

Inevitably, cheap optics will let you down if you work them. It may be a turret that gives you an unreapeatable adjustment, or a poor light gathering lens that is murky and distorted at the edges, or construction that relies on cheap glues, or whatever. It will fail at the worst time every time.

Most people don’t work them though. They zero them once at 100 yds, rarely if ever work the turrets and rarely shoot beyond 200 yds if ever. Then claim the budget scope they buy is just as good as the high end glass.

Perhaps one of the hardest things we need to do as shooters is be honest with ourselves and what our goals are. If you are just going to shoot at 200 yds and in and maybe shoot at 1000 yds once or twice for shits and giggles, a $500 scope that is variable power and illuminated with “tactical” turrets is more than fine.

If you’re serious about shooting well and often at 1000 yds then you’re going to need to spend some money on equipment. It is what it is. If you’re budget conscious then go for better glass with less bells and whistles.

If you're shooting seated on a bench under cover a couple of times a year at the 100 yd range at AGC, get a budget scope and have fun! But don’t fool yourself that it’s an optic that is truly a 1000 yd capable optic.

Just my $.02 for what it’s worth, which admittedly isn’t much.

Rockzilla

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2010
    55.751244 / 37.618423

gotta quote it also.. you can't beat good glass.
    If you don't care about optics then "cheap it"
    you get what you pay for...look through some
    of them. would "I" put a S&B, USO on any of
    my AR's...no, just an opinion, each their own
    have been checking out the Vortex glass though

some maybe bad reasoning but it's like having:
    the "best" audio system with "cheap" speakers
    high performance car, with the cheapest pump gas
    and expect it to run..

just .02 worth... or less..

-Rock

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010

This may be an old thread but I just want to give some encouragement to people who feel overwhelmed by getting started into long range shooting.

Yes you can get the equipment on a budget.

a $300 deer rifle and a $300 scope is all you need to get started.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    Dan Newberry will rent a rifle to do his long range course. The rental rifle has a 10x SWFA Super Sniper. A buddy used this rifle and easily made hits at 1000 yards. .308 Win.

Great instructor and a great budget scope in the $300 range.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Great instructor and a great budget scope in the $300 range.

Dan Newberry used to have a piece on his site (can't find it right now), that he went to Walmart, bought a cheap Savage in .270 and a Weaver fixed power, hunting turret scope. And shit his course of fire out to 1000 yards. He have come ups in x turns + y clicks. :)

I shot the course, my second time, with a friend who rented a rifle from Dan. Savage in .308 and a Super Sniper 10x scope, shooting Fed Gold Medal match, 168 grain out to 1040 yards.

All that said, a nicer (more expensive) scope is a bit easier to use.

OLM-Medic

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2010
    Dan Newberry used to have a piece on his site (can't find it right now), that he went to Walmart, bought a cheap Savage in .270 and a Weaver fixed power, hunting turret scope. And shit his course of fire out to 1000 yards. He have come ups in x turns + y clicks. :)

I shot the course, my second time, with a friend who rented a rifle from Dan. Savage in .308 and a Super Sniper 10x scope, shooting Fed Gold Medal match, 168 grain out to 1040 yards.

All that said, a nicer (more expensive) scope is a bit easier to use.

Yeah Dan really changes your way of thinking.

I enjoy his political banter and "reasons for learning this" discussions too. He's a funny guy and I wonder if he even knows it.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    What I also liked was he clear explanations of why things happen, even if they were not technically 100% correct. They got the point across without confusing people.

Also, on the range, teaching you with out seeming to teach you. Starting out, he would call wind and hold. Then later, I noticed he would delay one call or the other to let you fill in the blank. :D

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    The key at 1000 yards is whether the scope has enough adjustment to cover the drop at that range or do you need to add a 20 MOA offset rail or rings. When I built my Howa 1500 in .308 I opted for the Bushnell Tactical Elite 6-24x50 but I knew from users that it needed the offset so I installed an EGW 20MOA offset rail. I am also doing a 6.5 Grendel upper currently that will swap onto the lower of my 6.8 SPC II build. That carries a Vortex Viper at 6.5-20x44 and the 6.5 will also likely get some kind of Vortex scope.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom