• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • johnsopi

Feb 8, 2018
    I was just told that by a gun store in Kent Co..Any new gun needed a lock that went from the barrel to the chamber and it was only needed for the 1st trip home. This is not the loop lock that ruger gives. I have never heard that before.
    I did not need to buy one because mine was a used blackhawk and I had a loop lock in the trunk, but he put that on before I left. I never heard of this before.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    I was just told that by a gun store in Kent Co..Any new gun needed a lock that went from the barrel to the chamber and it was only needed for the 1st trip home. This is not the loop lock that ruger gives. I have never heard that before.
    I did not need to buy one because mine was a used blackhawk and I had a loop lock in the trunk, but he put that on before I left. I never heard of this before.

Yup, it's true. When I took home my MK-IV recently, there was of course an included .22 muzzle lock that inserts through the muzzle and expands in the chamber with the bolt locked back. It's a flimsy bit of junk metal, but it meets Maryland law. Now if I can only remember to bring that with me to the LGS next time I purchase a .22 semi-auto so they can avoid charging me the $15 or so that otherwise adds to the tab.

Needless to say, these locks will definitely stop a crazy person from removing them in the car as soon as they leave the store... :sad20:

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Yes, but strictly speaking the loop lock he let you get away with is no bueno either. Consider yourself lucky. Its supposed to be a bore lock, and its $25-$30. Usually they dont make you put it on, just have it with you. If you look on the 77r where the model is, it says something about an integrated mechanical safety.

nomade

Apr 26, 2014
    When I bought my Glock 23 G4, several years ago, it came with the barrel lock and the regular padlock in the case.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The only locks approved by the Handgun Roster Board are bore locks.

Loop locks don't count.

List attached.

ETA-Unless made before 2002

Attachments

• Approved Integrated Mechanical Safety Devices.pdf
      20.7 KB · Views: 202
    Last edited:

Mr H

Banana'd
    The only locks approved by the Handgun Roster Board are bore locks.

Loop locks don't count.

List attached.

Which is hilarious...

Purchased a SIG several years back, and the 'experienced' guy told me I absolutely HAD to buy a Master cable lock, or not take the pistol home.

Fine... bought it, not understanding at the time how FOS he was. He tossed it in the bag, and I was on my way. :shrug:

I got home, and found out while taking the case apart that SIG provided a cable lock...

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    Yes, but strictly speaking the loop lock he let you get away with is no bueno either. Consider yourself lucky. Its supposed to be a bore lock, and its $25-$30. Usually they dont make you put it on, just have it with you. If you look on the 77r where the model is, it says something about an integrated mechanical safety.

If you can provinance somehow either through manufacture date or serial number that the used gun was made before 2002, the tampon lock is not required. Pay attention to the questions next time a 77R is processed through a dealer. Also, while the intent of the law was likely to provide one with each purchase, the letter of the law requires either the seller to provide one or the buyer to supply one. Obviously, if a buyer had one from a previous purchase, they can provide it...or they can borrow one as well. Oh yeah, if somone can get locks for 15 bucks let me know. While we do make a couple bucks on them, Scotts pays a good bit more than that from a wholesaler. The last 9mm locks we got cost $23 wholesale. We avoided having an add on for shipping by placing the order with multiple other items or the likely would be 26 to 28 bucks wholesale. We sell them for 30. A while back we did get some cheaper and were selling them for $25. Revovler locks and those for AR and AK handguns are usually quite a bit mor2e expensive. We do try to always get the ones with a metal expansion band. If someone overtightens those with a plastic band, they will sometimes break then the bore lock gets stuck. While those for semi autos aren't too bad to remove, revolvers can be a royal pita.

Last edited:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Almost !

Either built in lock, or Tampon Lock is required for all handguns mfg after 2002 .

For pre-2002 mfg may use any generic "lock" , including cable lock , or old school triggergaurd lock .

Depending upon the vintage of that Blackhawk, may have been ok .

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The statute only stipulates that the lock be with the gun when sold. No requirement that it be provided by the FFL either. Don’t be fooled by an FFL who says he must sell you one.

That’s BS.

When you leave the FFL store with the lock, you have satisfied the statute. It doesn’t stipulate that the lock has to be IN the firearm, or that you can’t walk back inside and return it. More crappily written MD statutes.

IANAL

See MD Statute SS 5-132

Attachments

• 5-132.jpg
      5-132.jpg
      22.1 KB · Views: 381

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Almost !

Either built in lock, or Tampon Lock is required for all handguns mfg after 2002 .

For pre-2002 mfg may use any generic "lock" , including cable lock , or old school triggergaurd lock .

I was assuming a new purchase. You are correct.

sxs

MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2009
    Anne Arundel County, MD
    The statute only stipulates that the lock be with the gun when sold. No requirement that it be provided by the FFL either. Don’t be fooled by an FFL who says he must sell you one.

That’s BS.

When you leave the FFL store with the lock, you have satisfied the statute. It doesn’t stipulate that the lock has to be IN the firearm, or that you can’t walk back inside and return it. More crappily written MD statutes.

IANAL

See MD Statute SS 5-132

Almost !

Yes...you corrected my omission
    And yes...lock doesn't need to be installed when leaving the store.

Mr.Smalls

Mar 24, 2017
    Queen Anne's

This wasn't Molly's was it? If not, what's the stores name? Just curious.

buellsfurn

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2015
    southern end of Maryland

True IP GLR will loan one to you

KJackson

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 3, 2017
    Carroll County
    When I picked up one of my handguns from one of our wonderful IPs, he handed me a new borelock off the rack and told me to bring it in once I put the gun in my car. I don't know if it was the right caliber for my gun or not. The next time I picked up a gun from him, I brought my own. Simply because I didn't want to have to walk back in to return the "loaner" and risk having one of those "as long as I am here" moments.

Kevnev

May 12, 2018
    I’ve never had to use the lock on the gun when leaving the store. I do use the approved locks at home though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom