• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Since I'll have an extra bolt coming in and have a spare complete lower, it's time for another build. I'm looking for a free float handguard that is tough enough for duty use in a 12" length. I've looked at other forums and most of the posts are a few years old. This is going to be used for a truck/get home rifle. I'd prefer this to be on the lighter side. I'm using a pencil barrel, M-16 BCG, and minimalist stock. I'll be looking for an Aimpoint H2 for the optic. What say the collective here? Who makes the toughest free float handguard?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Since I'll have an extra bolt coming in and have a spare complete lower, it's time for another build. I'm looking for a free float handguard that is tough enough for duty use in a 12" length. I've looked at other forums and most of the posts are a few years old. This is going to be used for a truck/get home rifle. I'd prefer this to be on the lighter side. I'm using a pencil barrel, M-16 BCG, and minimalist stock. I'll be looking for an Aimpoint H2 for the optic. What say the collective here? Who makes the toughest free float handguard?

Fortis mounting system is hard to beat. Works with a standard barrel nut too.

http://fortismfg.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=59_75

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    The megalithic 4 rail is probably the toughest, basically a 1 peice upper/rail, heavy, strong, the barrel installs with a long pipe like nut wrench. I have their 2 peice MML rail, and it's awesome, m-lock slots reduce weight substantially compared to 4 rails, machining is top notch, the forend mounts directly to a flange machined into the upper with 6 screws. It would take a big hit to bend it, but it's pretty much set up for low profile gas blocks, not standard FSB barrels. You use an included wrench to tighten the low profile nut, don't need to clock it for the gas tube. The main thing compared to nut mounted rails is there is no shift when shooting from support, slung, or anything else that puts pressure on the rail.
    11139414_1079085655441472_8812831627035000667_n.jpg

mega-mml-maten-mega-extended-rifle-length-m-lok-set-mml-6620-sa-by-mega-arms-ef9.jpg

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    KISS is my opinion. Toughness and light weight, don't usually go together. I think you'd be fine with almost any hand guard you chose. Today's parts are built more robust than just 10 years ago and I've never heard of anyone doing damage to any hand guard where the rifle wasn't used as a club.

YMMV

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Thanks for the replies so far. I remember Clandestine said the rush to super light handguards makes them weaker versus the older full railed handguards. I have several ARs already, just adding one to the stable that stays in the truck. Right now, I have a 10" pistol build with FSB and folding rear sight in my truck. I'd rather have something with a stock.

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    I have a LaRue and a Geissele Mk8 that I think are very durable rails. I have some Noveske NSR, BCM KMR, Seekins that mounts on an integrated bbl nut and a Daniel Defense MFR that are also nice, but seem less durable.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

GottaEat

Aug 24, 2014
    SOMD
    I vote centurion c4. I have a mid length c4 with fsp cutout and cmr. Both are awesome , c4 just looks heavier duty(no testing done to back that up). Also own a couple SLR and they feel strong too. I think most major brands have solid handguard when it comes to durability.

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    For the vast majority of users any handguard will do. Larue makes the strongest but remembers its just aluminum. Concentrated effort WILL break any handguard.

DD rails break (mounting points shear) from sling tension. There's two ways to go about it, 1 is to use mil spec polymer handguards or Magpul MOE's (for accesories) and if it breaks just swap em out.
    2 piece hanguards you can also swap out but might need tools to replace them and not all of them are compatible with each other.

I use Troy, they offered a smooth handguard that fits my shooting style well so my hand is free to maneuver the entire length of the handguard with no snagging.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    The megalithic 4 rail is probably the toughest, basically a 1 peice upper/rail, heavy, strong, the barrel installs with a long pipe like nut wrench. I have their 2 peice MML rail, and it's awesome, m-lock slots reduce weight substantially compared to 4 rails, machining is top notch, the forend mounts directly to a flange machined into the upper with 6 screws. It would take a big hit to bend it, but it's pretty much set up for low profile gas blocks, not standard FSB barrels. You use an included wrench to tighten the low profile nut, don't need to clock it for the gas tube. The main thing compared to nut mounted rails is there is no shift when shooting from support, slung, or anything else that puts pressure on the rail.
    11139414_1079085655441472_8812831627035000667_n.jpg

mega-mml-maten-mega-extended-rifle-length-m-lok-set-mml-6620-sa-by-mega-arms-ef9.jpg

Centurion Arms C4

After careful consideration, I'm looking at these two as finalists. I like the one piece rail/upper combo, but that C4 video looks like it can take some abuse.

J.T

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2012
    MD
    If you've got the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$, the megalithic would be pretty tough to beat, durability-wise. (if I remember correctly, they are ~$600, right?)

ETA:

Just googled it; only $540. :)

Much less is you shop around. Check RainierArms

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom