• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • buellsfurn

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2015
    southern end of Maryland
    Wow, #9 only. Really limits where you can buy ammo!!! 9s aren't available everywhere.

Do you mind if I ask what range this is?

Most ranges are nothing larger than# 7 1/2...
    ...i.e. 7 1/2, 8, or 9s....

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

asked questions over the weekend re :#9 only because their is a road not so far away #6 and up reached the road.Skeet range has been their 1956 road came later so they made a adjustment hence #9

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    asked questions over the weekend re :#9 only because their is a road not so far away #6 and up reached the road.Skeet range has been their 1956 road came later so they made a adjustment hence #9
    Understand. Interesting that #6 & up made the road, but I guess they ban #7 1/2 & #8 for a safety factor since it is smaller than #6.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    #9 has always been THE prefered size shot for skeet, , since the beginning of skeetb, and the shot size for on purpose Skeet Loads .

It was the proliferation of dirt cheap jumbo packs of " universal " Field loads at Wal Mart in the '80s that people started convincing themselves that #8 was " good enough" .

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    #9 has always been THE prefered size shot for skeet, , since the beginning of skeetb, and the shot size for on purpose Skeet Loads .

It was the proliferation of dirt cheap jumbo packs of " universal " Field loads at Wal Mart in the '80s that people started convincing themselves that #8 was " good enough" .
    Agreed that #9 is the Skeet load.

I also reload, an #8 was usually what I was able to find locally, closely followed by #7 1/2.

#9 was out there, but you had to look for it and was usually at a Skeet place.

I think a lot of people use #8s because it works across the board. I shoot any game that uses a clay target and 8s simplify things.

Also, for a couple of years shot was hard to find and people shot what they could get. I even shot some clean reclaimed shot and it was all three sizes (7 1/2, 8, & 9s) mixed!!!

Redcobra

Senior Shooter
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 10, 2010
    Near the Chesapeake Bay

Then there is 8 and a half if you roll your own.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Ties in with the trends in Trap loads. Back in the day, Trap was everybody using 7.5 , but the trends have been to lighter shot loads for less fatigue ( recoil) , with small shot to keep pellet counts close to 1 1/8oz of 7.5 .

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    Ties in with the trends in Trap loads. Back in the day, Trap was everybody using 7.5 , but the trends have been to lighter shot loads for less fatigue ( recoil) , with small shot to keep pellet counts close to 1 1/8oz of 7.5 .
    Funny how that "kills" on both ends thing works out. Remember when 10 gauges were "the" goose gun? Then the "trend" to 3 1/2" 12 gauge? I still have the first box of 3 1/2" goose loads....many a 3" have gone through that gun, and I still have that partial box of 3 1/2s!!!

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Nope, for Skeet I put Skeet in the Bottom, IC in the Top. Always try to shoot bottom barrel first. Supposedly less barrel jump for quicker second shot, but I don't know that I overly buy that...(see below)

For Clays, I usually carry IC in the bottom and Lt. Mod. in the top. If I need to tighten up I replace the IC with Mod/ Imp Mod. and switch barrels. To lighten up I'll pop the LT. Mod and put in the Skeet and switch barrels.

This assumes that the closest target is presented first. I have shot plenty of stations were I shot the tighter barrel first, because the first target was long, and the second was in your face!!

This method allows me to only have to mess with changing one choke.

Physics says that barrel jump, or rotation of the gun upward, will be greater when firing the top barrel of an o/u versus the bottom barrel. Almost anybody that shoots an o/u will shoot bottom barrel first. There are some cases where the top barrel is a better choice, like when in the field and you want to switch to a tighter choke to take just a single shot at a passing bird that would otherwise be out of range for the choke in the bottom barrel.

Not directed at you, but might as well put this out there at this point. For the most part modified will kill almost anything in the field if you are on. Optimally, skeet/skeet is best on the skeet field. Coincidence?

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    What's wrong with the chokes that came with the gun?

Edit: Hah hah ha... Found myself replying to my own post from 9 yrs ago.
    The answer is, spend the money on lessons, not chokes.

Yeah, I read the first post and was thinking "What the heck is Redcobra doing asking this question. I figured he already knew the answer." Then, I saw the date of the OP. 8 years more experience. lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom