PTR 91 Receivers for a future investment?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    I see that Atlantic Firearms sells a PTR 91 receiver with and without a rail. Correct me if I am wrong, but since these can be pistols, they should be legal to buy in Maryland, yes? As such, once one moves outside of Maryland, they could be made into a pistol, and then even a rifle. Might not be a bad investment for the future.

https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/co...ies/ptr-nnr-308-receiver-detail.html?Itemid=0

https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/co...ries/ptr-rr-308-receiver-detail.html?Itemid=0

Thoughts?

benton0311

Feb 26, 2011
    According to MSP, these can be pistols or even 29+” SBR per their 2014 memo. They can also be built into a non-banned gun that is similar to the original banned version as long as all parts don’t interchange with the the banned gun. So if you were able to figure out how to make 6.5 CM or .243 work with the roller-delayed blowback system that would also be ok. That might be a bridge too far though.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    ^yes, legal for pistol or SBR today in MD. Since you have to weld ANYWAY you might want to look into a folding jig and some receiver flats. But looking at those PTR receivers, a LOT of the hard work has already been done. Basically only need to weld the front trunnion in which could be pulled off w/ mig. That take a lot less skill than all the other welding (which really needs a tig to do right.)

6.5 would be pretty easy **IF** you could find someone make you a fluted chamber bbl (which is about nigh impossible.) You can adjust the lock piece to match the recoil impulse of the ammo to get it to cycle right. Surely a bunch cheaper just to pay for a tax stamp and build something like a G3K though. Start w/ a completed PTR pistol and avoid all the hard and expensive work.

Or buy the non-MD-banned PTR32 in 7.62x39. Its a hoot.

benton0311

Feb 26, 2011
    Looks like the trunion AND the handguard hanger AND the cocking tube needs to be welded. Other than that, piece of cake. ;)

Ok - not worth it for me at least.

Did some searching on the net and Rim Country Mfg did a run of G3 barrels in 6.5 CM. That was from a few years ago but they do custom barrel work for HKs so maybe that's something they can still do or at least source. Might make for an interesting MSG-90 replica in 6.5 CM.

Alas I came to the same conclusion: Just not worth the hassle although it's something that I still consider from time to time.

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Hmm, interesting to know about the RCM 6.5CM bbls. Had not seen those.

You sould be able to make a MSG-90 or PSG-1 replica in MD (in .308) and be legal. The bolt is completely different than a G3 and the barrel also has to be notched to clear the extended extractor. For sure a PSG/MSG bolt wont work in a G3. But those unique parts aren't cheap either!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom