• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yesterday, I received my Lyman 6.5 Creedmoor gauge and it was machined incorrectly from the factory. Amazon reviews show a LOT of other people having the same issue. Lyman has acknowledged their mistake, yet the faulty ones are still being sold.
    The picture is of a factory Hornady live cartridge- not a reload. The cartridge won't fit past the shoulder and the 6.5CM base actually widens towards the rim. This gauge isn't even close to being correct.

Attachments

• 20180701_163912.jpg
      20180701_163912.jpg
      40.1 KB · Views: 189

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I only use a gauge when I reload for semi rifles. I dropped a once fired 6.5 case into a 3006 Wilson gauge and the head would go below flush until case taper took over. Maybe your gauge has been manufactured incorrectly like some of the others reported.
    FWIW I just measured some Hornady 6.5 cartridges that are new unfired. They measured .467 on the head and .469 on the rim with a heavy thumb on the wheel.

Lyman will be sending me a replacement gauge once they're back in stock. ETA- August. I'm now confident they're well aware of the problem and not issuing a recall. Here is a cut and paste copy of their response to me (note the not admitting there is a widespread problem)...

Customer Ticket Mailbox <customerservice@lymanproducts.com>
    4:20 PM (2 hours ago)
    to me
    Good afternoon Kyle,

I’m sorry to hear you are experiencing this issue. This product is currently out of stock, but we will gladly replace it for you once it’s available (ETA August). Is the address you provided in the original email the best one to send a replacement to?

I noticed they're out of stock everywhere except Amazon, and many places have 6.5CM (only) listed as no backorder.

I have Sierra's printout at my bench. The .460" won't fit into the part that should accept .4703".
    My calipers read .457" at the rim of the gauge and 1.919" brass length. The brass width is not even close, yet the case length is damn close to spot on.
    SAAMI- .4703" base
    Gauge- .457 base

SAAMI- 1.920" case length
    Gauge- 1.919" case length

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads