• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    Officer will use HEIEN, PETITIONER v. NORTH CAROLINA. https://supreme.justia.com/cases/federal/us/574/13-604/opinion3.html

From the opinion "what if the police officer’s reasonable mistake is not one of fact but of law? In this case, an officer stopped a vehicle because one of its two brake lights was out, but a court later determined that a single working brake light was all the law required. The question presented is whether such a mistake of law can nonetheless give rise to the reasonable suspicion necessary to uphold the seizure under the Fourth Amendment. We hold that it can. Because the officer’s mistake about the brake-light law was reasonable, the stop in this case was lawful under the Fourth Amendment."

I thought ignorance of the law is not an excuse. ;)

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    I thought ignorance of the law is not an excuse. ;)

"Finally, Heien and amici point to the well-known maxim, “Ignorance of the law is no excuse,” and contend that itis fundamentally unfair to let police officers get away with mistakes of law when the citizenry is accorded no such leeway. Though this argument has a certain rhetorical appeal, it misconceives the implication of the maxim. The true symmetry is this: Just as an individual generally cannot escape criminal liability based on a mistaken understanding of the law, so too the government cannot impose criminal liability based on a mistaken understanding of the law. If the law required two working brake lights, Heien could not escape a ticket by claiming he reasonably thought he needed only one; if the law required only one, Sergeant Darisse could not issue a valid ticket by claiming he reasonably thought drivers needed two. But just because mistakes of law cannot justify either the imposition or the avoidance of criminal liability, it does not follow that they cannot justify an investigatory stop. And Heien is not appealing a brake-light ticket; he is appealing a cocaine-trafficking conviction as to which there is no asserted mistake of fact or law."

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016
    Many threads, members pontificate just because it's legal or your right doesn't mean it's a great idea.

Why? Is it because the police rarely know the law? Can't count how many police in MD I have asked about 10 round mags and they all think they are currently banned vs. banned to buy or sell in state. I know police aren't lawyers but if they are going to go after people with guns drawn then they better know what they are doing.

Bunch of guys fishing with holstered firearms is grounds to draw on them like they are knocking over a 7-11?

The police in question need major reprimanding via suspensions. It would be different if they just walked up to them to talk to them like normal police would. Let them go about their business of fishing until they called someone who knows the laws of the state since they clearly don't.

Last edited:

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    "Finally, Heien and amici point to the well-known maxim, “Ignorance of the law is no excuse,” and contend that itis fundamentally unfair to let police officers get away with mistakes of law when the citizenry is accorded no such leeway. Though this argument has a certain rhetorical appeal, it misconceives the implication of the maxim. The true symmetry is this: Just as an individual generally cannot escape criminal liability based on a mistaken understanding of the law, so too the government cannot impose criminal liability based on a mistaken understanding of the law. If the law required two working brake lights, Heien could not escape a ticket by claiming he reasonably thought he needed only one; if the law required only one, Sergeant Darisse could not issue a valid ticket by claiming he reasonably thought drivers needed two. But just because mistakes of law cannot justify either the imposition or the avoidance of criminal liability, it does not follow that they cannot justify an investigatory stop. And Heien is not appealing a brake-light ticket; he is appealing a cocaine-trafficking conviction as to which there is no asserted mistake of fact or law."

I should learn to read included links in their entirety.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Why? Is it because the police rarely know the law? Can't count how many police in MD I have asked about 10 round mags and they all think they are currently banned vs. banned to buy or sell in state. I know police aren't lawyers but if they are going to go after people with guns drawn then they better know what they are doing.

Bunch of guys fishing with holstered firearms is grounds to draw on them like they are knocking over a 7-11?

The police in question need major reprimanding via suspensions. It would be different if they just walked up to them to talk to them like normal police would. Let them go about their business of fishing until they called someone who knows the laws of the state since they clearly don't.

More likely the police can't reasonably be expected to EVERY law and the peculiarities and exception to them

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    More likely the police can't reasonably be expected to EVERY law and the peculiarities and exception to them

That is exactly the point.

There should be a movement to repeal all of the complex laws.

Laws should be so easy to read, that a 10th grader understands them!

delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    several districts have noted that, where open carry is permitted/lawful, open carry does NOT provide RAS for a detention.

while florida does not allow for general open carry, it does SEEM to allow for open carry in specific instances. and being legal, the detention would seem unwarranted.

i am not a lawyer, so i'll defer to any among us for more thorough analysis here is one case. i found several others similar to this. the other was was similar was from ohio.

https://www.fedagent.com/columns/ca...ysis-of-the-free-to-leave-standard-of-seizure

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...s-legal/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.c9745b64ae4c

that said, there are other cases, subsequent to this, which have said otherwise. in my brief searching for the above case, a michigan case stood out as permitting such detention, including a photo of a guy on the ground and johnny pointing his pistol at the law abiding citizen.

https://www.guns.com/2015/06/16/mic...-initiate-contact-based-solely-on-open-carry/

pilot25

Ultimate Member
    Jul 13, 2016

I agree but I also think approaching individuals, who are fishing, with guns drawn is completely unacceptable.

CrueChief

Cocker Dad/RIP Bella
    Apr 3, 2009
    Napolis-ish
    I agree but I also think approaching individuals, who are fishing, with guns drawn is completely unacceptable.

This most likely stems for a generation or so of vilifying gun owners. When even the sight of a gun on a tee shirt "triggers" the snowflakes we know the road back will be a long one.

hillbilly grandpa

Jan 26, 2013
    Arnold
    One of the detainees implored the police repeatedly to inspect a piece of paper thatr recited the pertinent sectoin of the law. I'm wondering if the refusal of the police to accept guidance from the detainees that would have addressed their apparent ignorance of the law would in any way compromise their defense of innocent ignorance of the law.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom