What’s a good set of gunsmithing screwdrivers?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    I wanted to install Pachmayr grips on my Beretta 92S, and the grip screws have very small slots for the screwdriver to fit. I was able to get 3 of the 4 screws out with a small regular screwdriver, but the 4th screw is a real tight bastard and an am close to stripping it. So, I’ll break down and buy the correct tool for this job.

What is a good set of gunsmithing screw drivers? I’ve looked on Amazon but they are expensive and the reviews are not that great. Can anyone recommend a set that they like?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Proper gunsmithing screwdrives are inherently more expensive than generic household/ mechanic screwdrivers .

Rambler

Doing the best with the worst.
    Oct 22, 2011
    I bought this years ago and love it. I eventually moved up to a larger Brownells set and now this one stays in my range bag.

https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/1261179157/chapman-model-8900-27-piece-deluxe-screwdriver-set

I also use the Chapman drivers. They are neither the cheapest nor the most expensive. But, I think they are close to if not the best interchangable tip driver made.

I buy them direct:

https://chapmanmfg.com/

I had a few smaller/partial sets from used tool dealers. I bought the set 5575 plus a few extra loose tips in common sizes as well as to fill in missing and broken from the other sets. Now I have one very large set that lives on my bench and a few smaller sets with common sizes for household and trunk tool sets. They are a US company and some of the specialty sets (motorcycle for example) are really well thought out.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    The best gunsmith screw drivers for small or unusual slots are home made from oil or water hardened drill rod hollow ground to suit hardened and then topped off with a wooden or plastic knock on handle. Make them just long enough to where if they break off, they can be re-ground and hardened and placed back into use. Brownells sells the two types of rod to make a bunch of screw drivers.
    Outside of that, I have used Forster and Grace drivers preferring Forster because you can regrind some of them and Grace sometimes to brittle with the hardened tip breaking off but I do like the wooden handles.
    Brownells magna-tip is okay but a little sloppy for control on something gorilla tight but good for a field bag but I suspect some foreign manufacture regarding the bits, however the reduced ring diameter ones are nice as well as the amount of different options they have made available.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    I wanted to install Pachmayr grips on my Beretta 92S, and the grip screws have very small slots for the screwdriver to fit. I was able to get 3 of the 4 screws out with a small regular screwdriver, but the 4th screw is a real tight bastard and an am close to stripping it. So, I’ll break down and buy the correct tool for this job.

What is a good set of gunsmithing screw drivers? I’ve looked on Amazon but they are expensive and the reviews are not that great. Can anyone recommend a set that they like?

Are they the original grips? Maybe cross threaded? Ran into the same problem on my Taurus Beretta, I ended up going allen key grip screws with new threaded inserts.

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    I used a new set of the free ones from Harbor Freight to take one apart a couple months ago because they were the only set I had with sharp tips and they worked like magic. I was pleasantly surprised to say the least.

nedsurf

Ultimate Member
    Feb 8, 2013
    I like the medium size Chapman set I bought. When the set does not give me a good fit, I supplemented it with bits of whole whole drivers specific to the model I am working on. The results from this approach are no buggered screw heads so far.

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    I used a new set of the free ones from Harbor Freight to take one apart a couple months ago because they were the only set I had with sharp tips and they worked like magic. I was pleasantly surprised to say the least.

Lol, I tried the same free HF screwdrivers but they are too wide

Tracker

Aug 21, 2011
    Anne Arundel County
    I bought a set of Wheeler brand from MidwayUSA. They are decent for hobby gunsmith work. The bits aren't as precise as Brownells but not bad. I've never buggered a screw head with them so I guess that says something about their quality. I also have a few sets of Craftsman Micro-tech Precision screwdrivers. They're professional quality made and the best jewelers type screwdrivers I've ever seen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom