• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Yoshi

Invictus
    Jun 9, 2010
    Someplace in Maryland
    When considering barrel life, I've always thought in terms of the "average number of rounds". When doing some research on barrel life at AccurateShooter.com, they used a different gauge to measure a barrels life expectancy... Seconds.

Basically, the average precision barrel last 5-10 seconds of actual firing time!

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Interesting way to think about it. Not surprising considering thats about how long a hot car engine would last without motor oil.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    The throat wears first, right? Is so, would oiling it, like an engine, help?

No. The reason is that an engine had a constant lubrication system where the oil pump is designed to maintain consistent thin film of oil between the bearing surfaces. The continuous flow of oil through the bearings also removed heat. So once oil flow stops the direct metal to metal contact would create enough heat to melt the bearing surfaces within seconds.

In a rifle barrel most of the friction heat is transferred to the projectile and carried away. In theory a light coat of oil could reduce friction and wear but all of this oil film would be worn away or evaporated after one firing. So without a continuous supply of oil film the concept is not viable.

Also remember that a thick film of oil in the barrel would increase resistance and increase chamber pressures.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    Also, engines have bearing & shaft clearances set just loose enough to allow for the film of constantly pressurized oil. Not sure how you'd manage that clearance in a barrel. Excess oil is said to cause pressure issues (i.e kaboom) so testing the theory might be entertaining.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Interesting angle to consider. Almost depressing when you look at barrel life in that regard. Especially with the cost of some barrels, or the wait time to actually get them.

Aside from the occasional F-class where I'd rip off a few rounds before atmospheric conditions change, normally not too hard on the barrel. So I'm going to try and not dwell on it too much. I've already been thinking about what my next barrel is going to be.

Makes me wonder if Caudle (polygonal) rifling and moly coated rounds would help delay the inevitable for just a little longer.

TargetGrade

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2017
    Pensultucky
    Thing is.... rounds are countable, seconds is pretty much impossible. The old shooting gallery's at say Ocean City or Gwynn Oak Amusement Park, probably in the millions.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    My issue is, that some calibers have much shorter round count life, even though the MV is not that different.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Most bbl wear, and throat wear in particular are caused by errosion from hot gasses , not friction from the actual bullet .

DIfferences in flame temperature and porportions of unburned solids at that point effect throat errosion ( other factors being equal .

Among other things , Expansion Ratio effects bbl lifespan, and particularly throat erosion( other factors being equal .

Throat erosion is highly affected by the actual temperature of the surface of the throat . Lots of mechanical engineering calculations would apply , but oversimplified , the twoi main variables are amount of heat transfered from firing process, and how much that heat is able to transfer away from the surface of the throat ( hint - that means rate of fire ).

Of course , shot out has different contexts . Could mean anything detectable by bore scope . Could mean no longer providing 0.5moa . Could mean no longer providing 2 minutes of deer . Could mean bullets ( of normal type & weight ) no longer impact point foreward at 25yds .

If you wished to prioritize bbl life measured in seconds , you would shoot a large bore , low case capacity straight walled ctg , using cast bullets, at mpderate pressure, at low velocity .

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    interesting perspective.
    -Considering a 16” barrel is 1.33 feet in length.
    -Estimate average velocity of a round through the barrel is about 1600 fps.
    -That would equate to .000831 seconds for a bullet to move through and exit the barrel.
    5000 round estimated barrel service life. 5000 x .000831 sec = 4.16 seconds barrel life

Other factors previously mentioned will effect like bore expansion ratio, powder used, no mag dumps, no bimetal jacket Tulammo...no mag dumps with bimetal jacket Tulammo....

FrankOceanXray

Ultimate Member
    Oct 29, 2008
    Just like calculating the amount of time a golf ball is on the face of a club for a round of golf. A cool number to ponder but only so useful to determine much else...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom