Why does anyone need 30 round magazines or an AR15?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    Why does anyone need an AR15?

Why does anyone need a gun that holds 30 rounds?

Recently had a conversation with a lady – said she was a Republican and was pro-gun, she said she supports others right to own a gun, but did not own any herself and had no interest in shooting one – she went on to ask “why does anyone need a gun that shoots 30 bullets.”

For Self Defense and All other lawful purposes.

Do you need a 500 HP Ford Mustang?
    Do you need a donkey Dilldoe?

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    30 rounds is the standard capacity of most modern sporting rifles. To go lower simply means going with a reduced capacity magazine.

It is like putting a governor on a vehicle to limit speed or taking out the back seats from a car to reduce passenger capacity.

Maestro Pistolero

Mar 20, 2012
    The entire point of the second amendment is to equalize the disparity of force between good and evil. Only when foreign and domestic criminals no longer have 30 round magazines could there be such a restriction on civilians without eviscerating the amendment of its core, primary and only purpose.

RightNYer

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 5, 2013
    I usually avoid any of the "need" conversations and ask them why they need a car that goes faster than the speed limit. I think by defending our need, we go on the defensive and most antis don't buy it.

When I'm talking to women, I usually just answer, "I don't, but you also don't need to vacuum our your baby because you don't want to bring it to term, and your gay friend doesn't need to screw another man in the butt and get married, but you don't see me trying to get either of those banned."

Basically, you have to speak in terms leftists can understand, and all they're really concerned with these days is abortion and homosexual sodomy/marriage.

Maestro Pistolero

Mar 20, 2012
    The question is all wrong. To paraphrase Alan Gura, the second amendment isn't located among a bill of needs. Insert any other fundamental right into the question and it becomes clear how ridiculous it is:

Why does anyone need freedom from unreasonable search and seizure?
    Why does anyone need the freedom of speech?
    Why does anyone need a jury trial?

marte616

God bless America...
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 15, 2008
    Occupied Territory
    if someone invades a home and the police are called they show up with handguns with at least 15 round magazines, and if they know it's an active bad guy situation they show up with AR15 rifles with 30 round magazines.

Do they need 30 rounds? Usually not. Might they? Yes. Why do I need 30 rounds? I sincerely hope I never do, but the fact that the police think it's prudent to have when facing the same bad guys is good enough reason for me to be prepared.

NYC cops need all da bullits they can carry...they have a dismal hit rate....:innocent0
    http://www.pointshooting.com/1arand.htm

The average hit rate for Officers who shot at subjects who did not return fire, was 30 percent. Officers hit their targets 37 The average hit rate for Officers who shot at subjects who did not return fire, was 30 percent. Officers hit their targets 37 percent of the time at distances of seven yards or less. And hit rates fell off sharply to 23 percent at longer ranges.

Also, Officers in gunfights fired 7.6 rounds on average, compared with an average of 3.5 rounds for Officers who fired against subjects who did not return fire. And most Officers have firearms with a capacity of well over 7 rounds, plus extra magazines.

FBI statistics show that life threat incidents happen at very close ranges. Between 1989 and 1998, of the 682 local, state, and federal law-enforcement Officers in the United States who died because of criminal action, nearly 75 percent (509) received fatal wounds while within 10 feet of their assailants.

Also, Officers in gunfights fired 7.6 rounds on average, compared with an average of 3.5 rounds for Officers
    who fired against subjects who did not return fire. And most Officers have firearms with a capacity of well over 7 rounds, plus extra magazines.

FBI statistics show that life threat incidents happen at very close ranges. Between 1989 and 1998, of the 682 local, state, and federal law-enforcement Officers in the United States who died because of criminal action, nearly 75 percent (509) received fatal wounds while within 10 feet of their assailants.

Terpfan76

Mar 23, 2013
    Western Maryland
    if someone invades a home and the police are called they show up with handguns with at least 15 round magazines, and if they know it's an active bad guy situation they show up with AR15 rifles with 30 round magazines.

Do they need 30 rounds? Usually not. Might they? Yes. Why do I need 30 rounds? I sincerely hope I never do, but the fact that the police think it's prudent to have when facing the same bad guys is good enough reason for me to be prepared.

According to my MSP neighbor, they are "allowed" 20 rounders. He had to buy his own however because the State didn't have enough to go around and considering many are Viet Nam era relics, he prefered to buy his own. YMMV

safecracker

Unrepentant Sinner
    Feb 26, 2009
    I fired this off to the legislature during the SB 281 hearings:

I wish to address the issue of "need", with respect to the current bills associated with gun control.

I regularly hear statements by those who are not firearms owners such as, "You don't NEED an 'assault rifle'!" or "Why do you NEED several handguns?". The answer obviously, is NO, I do not "need" these items. But then again, I don't "need" more than three pairs of pants. Nor do I "need" a new car, since my current one runs just fine. I don't "need" to eat steak twice a week. Gentleman, do you really "need" those Ravens season tickets? Or that 60" television? Ladies, do you really "need" all of those shoes in your closet, several of which I would wager, haven't been worn in years? Let's face it....you don't really "need" to take that Hawaiian vacation, and if you think about it, why do you "need" a vacation at all? You don't "need" to play golf this weekend, nor do you "need" that boat that sits in your driveway collecting leaves and stagnant water.

We don't NEED any of these things. We WANT them. That is called freedom, ladies and gentleman - the most basic God-given principle upon which our nation was founded.

Since when did the demonstration of "need" become a prerequisite for owning personal property or engaging in recreational activities? Indeed, regulating ownership of personal property based on need was/is a hallmark of the Soviet Union, Cuba, and other totalitarian regimes.

It has no place in America.

The sphinx

Ultimate Member
    Jun 27, 2013
    Delaware
    Ted Nugent said it best. "It's a bill of rights not a bill of needs". He is the man! Especially when he ripped piers morgan.

MedInfantry

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 24, 2010
    Columbia, MD
    Last defense against an oppressive govt that wants to take away individual rights and freedoms. Yes, it can happen. One only has to look at the Patriot Act.

marte616

God bless America...
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 15, 2008
    Occupied Territory
    I'm going to be borrowing this comparison. I hope you won't mind.

DO NOT USE THAT ONE!!! look what happened to me when I tried!!!!!

:lol2:

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      35.9 KB · Views: 168

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Because the the 2nd Amendment doesn't have a round count.

And zombies aren't going to wait for you to do a mag swap before they eat your face.

Gryphon

inveniam viam aut faciam
    Patriot Picket
    Mar 8, 2013
    I'm going to be borrowing this comparison. I hope you won't mind.

Not at all - it worked for me but be prepared that you won't get dinner . . . or anything else afterwards! At least I made my point - albeit painfully obvious after the fact!

frdfandc

Fish It
    Aug 27, 2011
    Elkton, MD
    You say "assault rifle".

I say "AR-15 semi-automatic sporting rifle".

You say "high capacity clip"

I say "standard capacity magazine".

You say "Why does anyone need 30 rounds?"

I say "Because I can, so shut the F&^% UP".

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Why does anyone need an AR15?

Why does anyone need a gun that holds 30 rounds?

Recently had a conversation with a lady – said she was a Republican and was pro-gun, she said she supports others right to own a gun, but did not own any herself and had no interest in shooting one – she went on to ask “why does anyone need a gun that shoots 30 bullets.”

I asked her what kind of car she drove, she said a “Lexus.” I said “why do you need a Lexus, why not drive a Yugo?” She responded “I can afford it, I like the comfort, it’s what I wanted and it’s my choice.” I said “EXACTLY, why deny someone their choice of firearm?” She looked at me like the RCA Victor dog and said “do you really need 30 bullets to kill someone?” I did not want to get in the complexities of “Defence against tyranny etc…” The conversation continued …

I’m looking for some good comments that will make sense to the ignorant as to why anyone would want or need an AR15 or standard capacity magazines.

Please no wise cracks I really want some subtle, informative statements that will make others think and perhaps persuade them to open their minds and alter their thinking.

Because I F'ing want one. That's why.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom