• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Teemus

MSI Executive Member
    Jul 28, 2009
    Guys, take it easy on the OP. He needs help in choosing a firearm.

To the OP (original poster), here is what you have to do (think about). What do you want the firearm to do for you? i.e. Do you want personal protection? Do you want to go hunting? What exactly do you want to do?

In the broadest terms, suppose that you said that you want to go hunting. Then what do you want to hunt? If you want to hunt squirrels, then a .22 rifle will do the trick. If you want to hunt Cape Buffalo, then you want something a little heavier than a .22. Before anyone can give you any really relevant advice, you have to tell us more about what you expect your firearm to do for you.

TQuiz

Nov 30, 2011
    1911's come in only one caliber (or at least they should), .45 ACP.

Your decision has been made. :party29:

Now more seriously, you need to ask yourself what purpose do you want the firearm for?

General purpose all around defense, practice, etc 9mm is a good choice because the ammo is everywhere, inexpensive, and powerful enough for self-defense.

Plinking, the .22 rules the day.

Concealed carry? Well that may affect your choice of caliber.

So you need to get a little more specific on what you want from a weapon.
    The 1911 is mainly because it's a beautiful piece, but the main purpose for the pistol would be for more competition shooting. I went to one competition and loved it. I want to be as accurate as I can from about as far away as I can be with a pistol, you know? And a .22 is not an option. I've shot one before when I was a kid, and it was weak.

TQuiz

Nov 30, 2011
    Yea, I want as long range as I can get with an unmodified pistol. I like being as accurate as I can without scopes and lazers, even with rifles and shotguns. I also think, you should only use a scope on a shotgun, if you need glasses. Hmm... I'm using that

TQuiz

Nov 30, 2011
    Thanks for all the input everyone, It's big help. I will see you on new years for Christmas narcolepticsniper, and Nani says hi, lol

hvymax

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 19, 2010
    Dentsville District 28
    Guys, take it easy on the OP. He needs help in choosing a firearm.

To the OP (original poster), here is what you have to do (think about). What do you want the firearm to do for you? i.e. Do you want personal protection? Do you want to go hunting? What exactly do you want to do?

In the broadest terms, suppose that you said that you want to go hunting. Then what do you want to hunt? If you want to hunt squirrels, then a .22 rifle will do the trick. If you want to hunt Cape Buffalo, then you want something a little heavier than a .22. Before anyone can give you any really relevant advice, you have to tell us more about what you expect your firearm to do for you.

The 1911 is mainly because it's a beautiful piece, but the main purpose for the pistol would be for more competition shooting. I went to one competition and loved it. I want to be as accurate as I can from about as far away as I can be with a pistol, you know? And a .22 is not an option. I've shot one before when I was a kid, and it was weak.

What kind of comp? IHMSA? IPSC? IDPA? NRA? Bullseye? 460 S&W mag is a good hammer. 9mm comped longslide Witness with optics.(unlimited minor IPSC) Custom doublestack 45 comped longslide? The possibilities are endless.

TQuiz

Nov 30, 2011
    Umm... What? I am new to all this, and the only military experience I have is ROTC from high school. The capital letters are a foreign language.

Lou45

R.I.P.
    Jun 29, 2010
    Carroll County
    1911's come in only one caliber (or at least they should), .45 ACP.

Your decision has been made. :party29:

Now more seriously, you need to ask yourself what purpose do you want the firearm for?

General purpose all around defense, practice, etc 9mm is a good choice because the ammo is everywhere, inexpensive, and powerful enough for self-defense.

Plinking, the .22 rules the day.

Concealed carry? Well that may affect your choice of caliber.

So you need to get a little more specific on what you want from a weapon.

OP, I have to agree with MarkP on this. If you should go with a 1911, make sure it's in .45 caliber. Any other caliber in a 1911 is like playing with another man's junk.

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    My first choice outside of a .22LR would be a .357 mag. It has very good accuracy out to a hundred yards and probably has the greatest manstopping ability of any pistol on the market. The downside is the blast and recoil, but in the home I use .38 Spc. +P rounds. On the road, however, I prefer .357 125 gr. JHPs. The latter probably is the champion of one-shot stops of any handgun caliber on the market. (Larger calibers tend to have too much penetration and work better for bear and other wild animals.)

Most of the 9mm autos I like are, alas, no longer made. One still available that I like is the Taurus PT-92 stainless. It's a beautiful gun, a little large for many people, but totally reliable. I'm not a fan of Taurus revolvers, but their autos are superb. They used to be as reliable as Beretta autos, but not as accurate. Now they are just as accurate and have much better safeties. I'm not a big fan of plastic autos, but who knows? You may be. Check them out. I prefer my second and third generation 9mm S&Ws!

RugerSS_6_1.jpg

The .357 is an outstanding pistol with great stopping power.

Taurus_Beretta_Pellet_Small.jpg

The Taurus is gorgeous, is super reliable and you can use Beretta's air pistol (lower)
    to practice with.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    - S&W Model 14, 6.5" barrel, .38Sp+P, blued
    - S&W Model 27, 6.5" barrel, .357Mag, blued
    In either, use .38Sp full wadcutters

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    OP, I have to agree with MarkP on this. If you should go with a 1911, make sure it's in .45 caliber. Any other caliber in a 1911 is like playing with another man's junk.

Kinda feeling guilty now for building a 1911 in 7.62x25.... God likely won't forgive me.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Lou45 said:

Come on, Lou. What about .38 Super? I have been lusting after a 1911 in .38 Super for a long time, now I find I have to shoot it one-handed because my other hand is in my buddy's shorts?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom