• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    I don't know why they were ever made illegal in some areas in the first place. Especially since there were switchblades in common use for one hundred years in the US before the 50's liberal white women became scared of Hollywood's propaganda portrayed in movies of the time.

Yeah, somewhere around here I have a switchblade my grandma took from my dad back in the 40’s when he was little, he bought it at the grocery store, it’s an uncle Henry I think

Dave.B

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2011
    Yeah, somewhere around here I have a switchblade my grandma took from my dad back in the 40’s when he was little, he bought it at the grocery store, it’s an uncle Henry I think

My older cousin gave me one when I was 11. My father was cool with it and I played with the damn thing the whole ride back from my gandmother's house in Beckley WVA. As soon as my mother saw it when we returned she freaked out and that was that. I never did see it again. Mother's are the reason we have the stupid laws we have on the books today.

44man

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 19, 2013
    southern md
    My older cousin gave me one when I was 11. My father was cool with it and I played with the damn thing the whole ride back from my gandmother's house in Beckley WVA. As soon as my mother saw it when we returned she freaked out and that was that. I never did see it again. Mother's are the reason we have the stupid laws we have on the books today.

Yeah my grandma took so many knives from me when I was little it wasn’t funny. When she passed she had put them all in a box in grandads safe with my name on it. Hell there were knives, zippo lighters, bullets,a little hatchet and all kind of other stuff.

That made me smile during a bad time when I got it out of the safe.

steveh326

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2012
    Mt. Airy
    can someone enlighten me on the difference between assisted opening, of which I own and carry several, and 'automatic', which I gather is lumped in with switchblade? from what I can see it seems to boil down to a push button for automatic vs a flipper or thumb stud built into the blade profile? I am only comparing the 'automatic' knives where the blade swings out like normal, except with a spring. I always thought 'switchbades' had the blade shoot out from the front of the knife (OTF) but apparently I have been wrong all this time, and I can't order a damn buck 110 auto anywhere cause I don't meet the criteria.

Last edited:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Ted76 - Next show , please point some out to me . I'm not attuned enough to tell an auto from an assisted from just looking .

Re SGT 23 - You don't see many anymore , but I like to jump on cheap Chinese knives with old school carbon blades .

Any of you who have seen my " And This is a Maryland Legal Knife " back pocket knife demonstration , I bought that specifically because it had 1055 blade .

Dec 29, 2018
    Baltimore County
    Was it a Smith and Wesson brand? The company the licenses the S & W name makes a handful of assisted OTF knives that are single action. Meaning you must manually retract the blade instead of pushing the button on the handle to close the knife. I have seen automatic knives at every gun show I have ever been to, including Maryland shows. The knife pictured below is an assisted opening OTF. It looks like a switch, but it's not.
    Looks very similar, but it’s unbranded, must be Chinese knockoff. It is a push button OTF though, pictures below showing the blade and the button/opening.

Attachments

• CA35539B-3B4C-45F3-B949-E1CC415EAD39.jpg
      CA35539B-3B4C-45F3-B949-E1CC415EAD39.jpg
      116.7 KB · Views: 239
    • 58894A22-E428-46D7-8F3E-FA75110F3280.jpg
      58894A22-E428-46D7-8F3E-FA75110F3280.jpg
      83.9 KB · Views: 229

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    Two dealers i saw at timonium show were selling what appeared to be switch blades/auto knives. The first, his tale set up against the front wall let me handle his knives. Itslian stilletto style and german. These were switchblades in every sense of the word. I asked if they were legal for display and sale and he made some distinction between selling to adults and kids. The next dealer had benchmades but i did not handle. They looked to me like auto knives ( i have a benchmade auto). I waited until this am to post this.

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    I don't know why they were ever made illegal in some areas in the first place. Especially since there were switchblades in common use for one hundred years in the US before the 50's liberal white women became scared of Hollywood's propaganda portrayed in movies of the time.

Bernardo, riff and tony.

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Years ago, I had a cheapo OTF that would stop as soon as it felt any resistance. Are the real ones like that?

Dave.B

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2011
    Years ago, I had a cheapo OTF that would stop as soon as it felt any resistance. Are the real ones like that?

Yup. The spring in OTF autos is not strong enough to propel the blade to penetrate an object that blocks the path of travel during deployment. That is not to say a sharp blade wouldn't leave a nasty wound if it hit your hand or fingers. But the Hollywood portrayal of holding an OTF against a body and having the blade penetrate upon deployment is fantasy.

Dave.B

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2011
    Bernardo, riff and tony.

I weep that these guys are what my grandmother feared when the federal switchblade law was passed in 1958.

Attachments

• west side story homos.jpg
      west side story homos.jpg
      12.3 KB · Views: 251
    • west side story more homos.jpg
      west side story more homos.jpg
      95.1 KB · Views: 245

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    MDS whippersnappers scratch heads

Richard Dadier weeps

Gregory Miller is inconsolable

Need to see some of the older movies. I saw that one in the theatre. But, thankfully, the law makers have kept us safe from these evil implements of fast deployment.

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville

Yes and no. My micro techs won’t lock open, but they will penetrate semi-rigid materials (eg cardboard) by about an inch to the full width of the blade (more on my double edge).

The one on the left I picked up at Chantilly (DE), the one on the right my wife gave me for Christmas (Bounty Hunter special edition). I have SOG, S&W, and a variety of other automatic flippers - some at gun shows, some off bladehq.com and pvk Vegas. I have always been nervous with the durability of OTF, but my MT hold up better than any of my auto flippers in EDC... they are expensive (new is starting at 225 for small and plain, limited/special edition can go into the thousands), but the lifetime warranty and quality is worth it.

Attachments

• B5B6DB4A-205D-48EB-AAB5-660DA540E399.jpg
      B5B6DB4A-205D-48EB-AAB5-660DA540E399.jpg
      104.4 KB · Views: 187

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    I have seen them on rare occasions. Mostly, they are just there as part of a collector's display. I was told that they are purchase restricted to LEO, First Responders and Military. Maybe someone can confirm that?

I was a regional rep for Benchmade for about six years.

The official government use exemption is part of the federal law prohibiting and creating a felony for trading in automatic knives across state lines. Knife rights people have long fought to get it off the books and no one seems very passionate about keeping it in place. But it's not a hot button news item and I'm sure our Congresspeople are far more worried about their latest taxpayer-funded official diplomatic mission to Hawaii with seven family members, a case of govt. procured JW Red, and a hooker named Trixy than any little people concerns.

Maryland prohibits selling or trading but not ownership of an automatic knife. As I read the MD law, gifting is okay, but IANAL. Carrying one is believe it or not is also allowed IF you have a MD LTC. Something even most police seem unaware of.

Some of the assist-knives have gotten very good in their easiness to deploy. I own several of the Smith and Wesson "MAGIC" assists made for them by Schrade and am very impressed by what they have done for a $50 price knife. I myself won't carry one in the street however, just because if I had to explain the assist "it's not an automatic" difference to an LEO for some reason, I doubt it would fly and retired cops don't do well at Central Booking.

As a final note, if you buy ANY Benchmade knife at a show, make sure it's not a fake. I've seen pieces-of-shit selling decent people very good-looking Chinese fakes with a correct-looking box and all at almost every big show I've ever been to. If the dealer isn't an authorized Benchmade dealer (you can check on the BM website) I wouldn't touch anything they have. Benchmade sells wholesale direct to authorized dealers only and keeps a very tight reign on their product's distribution and pricing. There are plenty of real Benchmade dealers at shows, in fact that's how some of them stay in business.

Benchmade 300-1 for me. Best flipper I have ever owned. :)

KIBarrister

Opinionated Libertarian
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 10, 2013
    Kent Island/Centreville
    I was a regional rep for Benchmade for about six years.

The official government use exemption is part of the federal law prohibiting and creating a felony for trading in automatic knives across state lines. Knife rights people have long fought to get it off the books and no one seems very passionate about keeping it in place. But it's not a hot button news item and I'm sure our Congresspeople are far more worried about their latest taxpayer-funded official diplomatic mission to Hawaii with seven family members, a case of govt. procured JW Red, and a hooker named Trixy than any little people concerns.

Maryland prohibits selling or trading but not ownership of an automatic knife. As I read the MD law, gifting is okay, but IANAL. Carrying one is believe it or not also allowed IF you have a MD LTC. Something even most police seem unaware of.

Some of the assist-knives have gotten very good in their easiness to deploy. I own several of the Smith and Wesson "MAGIC" assists made for them by Schrade and am very impressed by what they have done for a $50 price knife. I myself won't carry one in the street however, just because if I had to explain the assist "it's not an automatic" difference to an LEO for some reason, I doubt it would fly and retired cops don't do well at Central Booking.

Benchmade 300-1 for me. Best flipper I have ever owned. :)

Open carry without a permit is legal outside OC and a couple municipalities on the western shore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom