• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    1911s run the spectrum from a Sgt in a Mudhole to a LTC at Camp Perry.

A 1911 with some battle rattle in not going to be shooting out the 10 ring but it does have man size MOA at it’s effective combat range of 25 yards. The 1911 with battle rattle was the Glock of it’s day in the trenches and foxholes.

Now when you start tuning a 1911 for that LTC at Camp Perry, you know your trading off reliability for accuracy. Tighter the specs, the more finicky she gets

I have 1911s for field work and I have GC NM guns and there is no way in hell that I would carry a NM into battle much less drop it in the dirt and mud. The OP’s DW 1911 was closer to the LTC than a GI Spec for the Sgt

I have a 1967 Camp Perry 1911. Shoots flawlessly with Ball/RN ammo. Finicky otherwise. The gun is much tighter than my other 1911’s. I would imagine mud/dirt would jam it up quickly.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    This is the trade off of a $1300 tight gun vs a $400 Rock GI, NOT 1911's in general. WC 9mm 1911 mags are some of the worst you can buy.

lmorrison17

Feb 1, 2008
    Since it has been mentioned already, I find myself in need of 9mm 1911 mags. Currently I only have 1 and it's cobramag. I'd like to have a couple more. This cobra mag when it's full will let rounds nose dive. SO before I bought anymore I was looking around and I was looking at the new generation wilsons. But there are sooo many conflicting opinions that I have not made any decisions. Is there a general consensus of the 9mm mags to have?

sajidakh

Dec 28, 2010
    Since it has been mentioned already, I find myself in need of 9mm 1911 mags. Currently I only have 1 and it's cobramag. I'd like to have a couple more. This cobra mag when it's full will let rounds nose dive. SO before I bought anymore I was looking around and I was looking at the new generation wilsons. But there are sooo many conflicting opinions that I have not made any decisions. Is there a general consensus of the 9mm mags to have?

I have 6 of the latest gen Larry Vickers duty mags. I had no issues with them with dry dirt or indoor ranges. The moment they were exposed to mud my gun started having issues.

tomrkba

Jan 22, 2017
    What are the problems with Wilson mags? Which mags are better and why?

I have no brand loyalty for magazines. If there are better mags than WC ETM 9 and 45, I want to know the details.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    I've used .45 and 10mm magazines from Colt, Wilson Combat and Chip McCormick...none have ever given a problem. Chip McCormick mags have since been sold (to Wilson Combat I believe). I'm sure there are other good magazines out there I haven't tried but I'm sticking with what I know. One type I don't buy is no-name gun show magazines...they're at best a crap shoot quality-wise.

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park

I have a Met-Gar 9mm and a couple more that I'm not sure of the brand but it looks like a stylized M in a circle. They work well in my RIA 9mm 1911.

Apr 8, 2012
    Earth
    I've been using 10rd Tripp Cobra mags in a Colt GCT. No issues with the mags, though they're not as smooth as the .45 mags. But then again, neither have been exposed to mud or dirt like the OP.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    I've used .45 and 10mm magazines from Colt, Wilson Combat and Chip McCormick...none have ever given a problem. Chip McCormick mags have since been sold (to Wilson Combat I believe). I'm sure there are other good magazines out there I haven't tried but I'm sticking with what I know. One type I don't buy is no-name gun show magazines...they're at best a crap shoot quality-wise.

Agreed. At the range, it's pretty embarrasing when dropping the slide causes the floorplate to drop out onto the ground, followed by the spring, follower and six rounds. :o In an emergency situation, it might feel a little worse :innocent0

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Chip McCormick 9mm mags made my 9mm 1911 reliable. I made my other brands of 9mm 1911 mags work by installing Chip McCormick followers.

Mags for calibers other than 9mm are irrelvant in this conversation about a 9mm 1911.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom