• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • doofoo

Dec 28, 2009
    I have a question about traveling with a SBR.

Do I need to file and get an approved 5320.20 for EVERY time I travel with my SBR?

For example, say my range is in Virginia and I travel there every few weeks, or every month or so to go shooting. Do I need to submit a form for every trip to the range?

Flipz

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2010
    The form is good for a year to the specific location. Just fill out the dates that way.

For example, December 1st 2012 through November 30th 2013.

Blueclawz

Bottom Feeder
    Jun 29, 2012
    Eastern Shore
    Are you guys being serious?

You DO NOT need to complete a 5320 eveytime you go "to the range" - regardless of the ranges location. The point in a form 5320 is reassign the permanent storage location of your Title II item...its not for temporary travel purposes.

If you wish to argue this point with me - I propose the following scenario's.
    - Guys taking guns to Knob Creek - think they all file 5320's?
    - Guys taking guns to collector shows etc - think they all file 5320's?

How the hell did 3 of you get this one wrong?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD

You DO NOT need to complete a 5320 eveytime you go "to the range" - regardless of the ranges location. The point in a form 5320 is reassign the permanent storage location of your Title II item...its not for temporary travel purposes.

You are the one who has it wrong. And YES all of those guys from Knob Creek DO need to fill out 5320.20's if they are from another state than the location of the shoot.

Here is the Form, read the TITLE and Instructions. It IS for Temporary INTERSTATE MOVEMENT of Title II Items (Excluding Sound Suppressors and A.O.W.'s)

http://www.atf.gov/forms/download/atf-f-5320-20.pdf

It is not just for a PERMAMENT MOVE, its to ensure that the movement of the Title II Weapons are legitimate, and the destination state allows the weapon in question.

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD

...?

Well I am sure a lot of these guns are C&R and those with a C&R FFL can transport them interstate without filing. However, all others, yes they are filing... why do you think the NFA branch is so slow with everything!

Wayne1one

gun aficionado
    Feb 13, 2011
    Bowie, MD

:lol: crickets chirping , where did he go? Loud and wrong the worst combo on any forum....:innocent0

Blueclawz

Bottom Feeder
    Jun 29, 2012
    Eastern Shore
    Troll much ladies?

Orignal Question -
    Do I need to file and get an approved 5320.20 for EVERY time I travel with my SBR?

My intent was driven at multiple filings. (EVERYTIME I GO THE RANGE)...not using a 1yr voucher which is industry standard. HOWEVER - BATF will not accept "traveling to and from range"..unless range has a specific location address.

You little birds sitting in the branches "chirping" should spend some more time reading up on information rather than playing internet policeman. Six posts..thats right - put up some nteresting posts other than :
    Why does it take so long for a transfer?
    Does my trust on quicken willmaker look ok?
    If the fingerprint card says use blue ink and used black will it get rejected?
    I got my paperwork back - forgot to sign need to vent...
    and every other stupid non-informative post...
    Maybe something like -
    Form 1 Fabrication threads showing some builds and ideas...
    Specific product reviews on certain builders or makers..
    FRIENDLY NFA/T2 ranges and shops....

You know stuff that benefits the hobby and developing it...not crying into a tissue over the wait time and the mean lady on the phone at MSP.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Troll much ladies?

Orignal Question -

My intent was driven at multiple filings. (EVERYTIME I GO THE RANGE)...not using a 1yr voucher which is industry standard. HOWEVER - BATF will not accept "traveling to and from range"..unless range has a specific location address.

You little birds sitting in the branches "chirping" should spend some more time reading up on information rather than playing internet policeman. Six posts..thats right - put up some nteresting posts other than :
    Maybe something like -

You know stuff that benefits the hobby and developing it...not crying into a tissue over the wait time and the mean lady on the phone at MSP.

No one's keeping you here.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Troll much ladies?

Orignal Question -

Maybe something like -

No one cares what you think of newbies asking questions. Theres plenty of knowledgeable people here to give hungry newbs solid advice that wont cross them with the Law, unlike the post you made in this thread.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    There is a lot of hostility toward noobs asking "dumb" questions. As a community, we really should strive to give good information to every new guy. In a couple of years they will be the ones answering the question. We can also bring more people into MSI, SAF and other organizations. We have got to do a better job of fostering new shooters.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County
    There is a lot of hostility toward noobs asking "dumb" questions. As a community, we really should strive to give good information to every new guy. In a couple of years they will be the ones answering the question. We can also bring more people into MSI, SAF and other organizations. We have got to do a better job of fostering new shooters.

Yep.

midcountyg

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2009
    Preston, MD

:thumbsup: We all asked questions when we started that probably seemed dumb to others. The only way a forum grows and works in the long run is by being polite and welcoming the new guys. There is another forum I used to really like, not gun related, but do not go to any longer. I met some nice people there, but got really tired of all the new comers getting bashed for asking questions. People would get down right ignorant, not answer the questions, and flame them for not being able to find the answers in a search. That is not appropriate behavior, and not something I care to take part in, so I don't use that forum any longer.

OP, yes you can get a one year blanket to cover going to and from your range. Should you decide to go somewhere else during that year, I would reccomend submitting a new form.

FFL holders, who's firearms are covered under their FFL, are not subject to prior approval to cross state lines.

Hope that helps :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom