• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    As long as both you and son are Maryland residents , no procedures are required . You may wish to voluntarily give him a Bill of Sale , in case it becomes relevant at some point in the future for him to document when he aquired it .

Sealion

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2016
    Balto Co
    As long as both you and son are Maryland residents , no procedures are required . You may wish to voluntarily give him a Bill of Sale , in case it becomes relevant at some point in the future for him to document when he aquired it .

Excellent, thanks Bigfoot. Something related to guns in MD that actually seems easy. That's a first.

lowoncash

Baned
    Jan 4, 2010
    Calvert county
    I didn't want to start a new thread for a very similar topic so here goes: What do I need do to legally transfer ownership of a MD compliant AR 15 to my 18 year old son? I want him to have ownership before GA gets back to work "helping" us.

Will you be my father too?

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Correct. If your residency changed to MD it has to go through an FFL in one of those people’s state’s of residency.

No, it must go through an FFL. FFL can be in any state.

But the transaction must be legal in the state the FFL is in, and in the state of residence of the purchaser (recipient).

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    LOL. Sorry, daughter is up next but I'm afraid MD GA will go to work before she turns 18. Maybe after that...:)

Does a person have to be 18 to possess/own a firearm? To purchase yes but is there a law prohibiting some one from inheriting or being gifted firearms?

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Does a person have to be 18 to possess/own a firearm? To purchase yes but is there a law prohibiting some one from inheriting or being gifted firearms?

16 for a long gun in Maryland. 21 for a regulated firearm.

At least that’s my memory. It is younger if you have a hunting license for a long gun.

As for transferring or inheriting damned if I can recall what Maryland says. It is probably 18.

Don’t take that as gospel as I am too tired to look it up, but I am pretty sure that is what MD says. There is no federal law on age of possession. Just that FFLs can’t transfer if under 18 for a long gun and 21 for a handgun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom