• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KP Shooter

Le Flâneur
    Dec 1, 2009
    Long Island/ MoCo
    So I’ve recently Moved back in to the area and I have a specific question about hunting.
    I’m a not 100% disabled vet who is still in the military as a reservist. I believe that I fall in to this category on the DNR website.

“ A person serving in the United States Armed Forces who has a service–connected disability and possesses a valid military identification while hunting.”
    https://dnr.maryland.gov/Pages/service_hunting_license.aspx

At the bottom of this page, it says the following:
    “ Hunters not required to have a license must obtain a free DNRid number and a free Maryland Big Game Harvest Record if they intend to hunt deer or turkeys. These items may be obtained from a Department of Natural Resources Service Center, Department of Natural Resources Sport License agent or online at dnr.maryland.gov/pages/licensing.aspx.”

I cannot seem to find a Big Game Harvest Record. I’m under the impression you get this (along with the tags) when you buys license. Has anyone ever hunted under this provision in the regulations? What is the limit on deer that one can take? Do all you truly need to carry is a VA disability letter, your military ID, and your Big Game Harvest record/DNRid number? I just want to make sure I don’t run afoul of the law.

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    So I’ve recently Moved back in to the area and I have a specific question about hunting.
    I’m a not 100% disabled vet who is still in the military as a reservist. I believe that I fall in to this category on the DNR website.

“ A person serving in the United States Armed Forces who has a service–connected disability and possesses a valid military identification while hunting.”
    https://dnr.maryland.gov/Pages/service_hunting_license.aspx

At the bottom of this page, it says the following:
    “ Hunters not required to have a license must obtain a free DNRid number and a free Maryland Big Game Harvest Record if they intend to hunt deer or turkeys. These items may be obtained from a Department of Natural Resources Service Center, Department of Natural Resources Sport License agent or online at dnr.maryland.gov/pages/licensing.aspx.”

I cannot seem to find a Big Game Harvest Record. I’m under the impression you get this (along with the tags) when you buys license. Has anyone ever hunted under this provision in the regulations? What is the limit on deer that one can take? Do all you truly need to carry is a VA disability letter, your military ID, and your Big Game Harvest record/DNRid number? I just want to make sure I don’t run afoul of the law.

I haven't hunted under that provision, but would assume that the normal season bag limits (as well as all other applicable hunting regs) still apply. Harvest records are available for download on the DNR Compass site:

https://compass.dnr.maryland.gov/

General Regs:
    https://dnr.maryland.gov/wildlife/Pages/hunt_trap/Deer-Hunting-in-Maryland.aspx

"AcessDNR" App:
    https://dnr.maryland.gov/pages/dnrapp.aspx

Last edited:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Once you apply for your "COMPASS" ID number, you will then be able to obtain a yearly hunting and or fishing permit. When you are in the hunting permit section, there will be a list of "tags"(we really don't get tags anymore. they just show up on your license) including a harvest record. They are kind of tiny and short so I usually print out my license three times to get more. It's nice because I put one license in my wallet, one in my hunting pack(with a couple of harvest records stapled to it) and then one goes into my turkey vest.

You can buy a license at a sporting goods store or order it on line. Since you may not be completely fluid in our different seasons and bag limits, you might buy your first license from a store(agent) where you will be given a free hunting in Md guide. You can also download the same info into your phone. There is also an app for game check-in which is really convenient.

It sounds like you should have no problem getting your license(s) free.

https://www.eregulations.com/assets/docs/guides/21MDHD_VLR.pdf

Last edited:

KP Shooter

Le Flâneur
    Dec 1, 2009
    Long Island/ MoCo
    Once you apply for your "COMPASS" ID number, you will then be able to obtain a yearly hunting and or fishing permit. When you are in the hunting permit section, there will be a list of "tags"(we really don't get tags anymore. they just show up on your license) including a harvest record. They are kind of tiny and short so I usually print out my license three times to get more. It's nice because I put one license in my wallet, one in my hunting pack(with a couple of harvest records stapled to it) and then one goes into my turkey vest.

You can buy a license at a sporting goods store or order it on line. Since you may not be completely fluid in our different seasons and bag limits, you might buy your first license from a store(agent) where you will be given a free hunting in Md guide. You can also download the same info into your phone. There is also an app for game check-in which is really convenient.

It sounds like you should have no problem getting your license(s) free.

https://www.eregulations.com/assets/docs/guides/21MDHD_VLR.pdf

So would I just go to a store(agent) and show the proper paperwork in order to get it for free?
    My reading has me thinking that simply have the required documents would suffice, but further reading seems to suggest needing some documents that I can only get by purchasing.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    So would I just go to a store(agent) and show the proper paperwork in order to get it for free?
    My reading has me thinking that simply have the required documents would suffice, but further reading seems to suggest needing some documents that I can only get by purchasing.

That part, I am not sure of. I'm not a vet, let alone a currently serving disabled vet.

Have you tried registering and ordering on their online store? Says you can go that route. Do you have a Hunter's Ed. card? You'll probably need that too.

https://compass.dnr.maryland.gov/

https://dnr.maryland.gov/Pages/licensing.aspx

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    Do you even need the big game harvest? I thought they let you do it all in the app now and check in that way.

btw when you are online the Big Game Harvest is an item you can put in your cart for free.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Do you even need the big game harvest? I thought they let you do it all in the app now and check in that way.

btw when you are online the Big Game Harvest is an item you can put in your cart for free.

I believe the paper form is still required. The online record is in your "Trophy Case"

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    I believe the paper form is still required. The online record is in your "Trophy Case"

?

Do I have a lot of writing to do?

Before moving a deer or turkey from the place of kill, hunters must do the following:

Complete a Deer and Turkey Field Tag at the place of kill in ink and attach it to the animal, or;
    Check in the animal at the place of kill and receive a confirmation number that can be furnished upon request.
    Place of kill is the location where the animal expired and was recovered.

Within 24 hours of recovering a deer or turkey harvest, hunters must:

Register their game with the Department of Natural Resources using one of the following:
    the COMPASS portal at compass.dnr.maryland.gov/
    the Maryland Big Game Registration Phone Line 888-800-0121
    The Department of Natural Resources official mobile app (AccessDNR)

I have just been checking in at the kill site and screenshoting the Confirm # as a backup (doing only the underlined). I dont even carry the "Big Game Harvest"

https://www.eregulations.com/maryland/hunting/deer-turkey-tagging-checking

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    idk, I reread the regs a few times. I still dont think you need the paper big game harvest. Download the app, check-in your game with the app, easy peasy. I take a screenshot of the confirm just as a backup.

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    idk, I reread the regs a few times. I still dont think you need the paper big game harvest. Download the app, check-in your game with the app, easy peasy. I take a screenshot of the confirm just as a backup.

My understanding is that a field tag is not needed after check in on the app, but entry on the harvest record is still required.

If the hunter uses all of the spaces on the Big Game Harvest Record attached to the hunting license, additional Big Game Harvest Records can be created by the hunter or obtained free of charge through the COMPASS portal at compass.dnr.maryland.gov/ OR any Licensing and Registration Service Center OR a Sport License Agent.

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    My understanding is that a field tag is not needed after check in on the app, but entry on the harvest record is still required.

If the hunter uses all of the spaces on the Big Game Harvest Record attached to the hunting license, additional Big Game Harvest Records can be created by the hunter or obtained free of charge through the COMPASS portal at compass.dnr.maryland.gov/ OR any Licensing and Registration Service Center OR a Sport License Agent.

The 2nd part ("Harvest records, whether recorded electronically or in hard copy format, must be furnished upon request and remain in possession of the hunter.") reads the electronic record is now the permanent record.

Harvest records, whether recorded electronically or in hard copy format, must be furnished upon request and remain in possession of the hunter.

In other words, "entry on the harvest record" is all electronic.

At least as I read the regs.

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    The 2nd part ("Harvest records, whether recorded electronically or in hard copy format, must be furnished upon request and remain in possession of the hunter.") reads the electronic record is now the permanent record.

I didn't read that far down, but you're definitely not wrong...

TTY users, call through the Maryland Relay. For ease of use, deaf and hard of hearing hunters are encouraged to use the internet check-in site or mobile app.

Make a permanent record of their deer or turkey registration by either:
    Recording the confirmation number on a Big Game Harvest Record (provided with a hunting license) or creating a hard copy record of their own, or;
    Maintaining an electronic record of the confirmation number on a mobile device.

TheBulge

Mar 7, 2011
    The MD DNR app keeps the record for you automatically when you check in the animal. Check under the "Trophies" tag at the bottom of the screen.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014

I have been 'caught' coming out of the woods with dead deer still in the woods and asked for my Big Game record for said deer. He was wrong, but was looking for a way to hem me up.

You don't need a screen shot. Just open your app and go to 'trophy case'.

It's not necessary by law, but law enforcement don't always know the law.

You have 24 hrs to check in your deer or turkey before you are found in violation. Most DNR guys go through Nazi school before being badged.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

Still required. Your license has three entries and you can download full page copies that I think have 12 (16?) entries on it. So long as you are in possession of the deer or Turkey you are required to have your record on you. Up until the point that the animal is dropped off at a butcher or has been removed to your property and butchered if DIY.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

Better have the email confirmation saved on your phone then and handy. Yes, you can have it electronically now. Just like your license can be in electronic format. Just make sure you have those records readily available. Easier just to make sure you have it written on your license or separate big game record (I do keep my license saved as a screen shot in my phone’s photos. That said, I’d avoid giving a NRP or ANY officer my unlocked phone unless there was ZERO alternative)

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I have been 'caught' coming out of the woods with dead deer still in the woods and asked for my Big Game record for said deer. He was wrong, but was looking for a way to hem me up.

You don't need a screen shot. Just open your app and go to 'trophy case'.

It's not necessary by law, but law enforcement don't always know the law.

You have 24 hrs to check in your deer or turkey before you are found in violation. Most DNR guys go through Nazi school before being badged.

I’ve been out hunting places with no cellular connection. Then again I also don’t have the app (which I assume stores all of this in the app on your phone). I just go to the website.

KP Shooter

Le Flâneur
    Dec 1, 2009
    Long Island/ MoCo
    Follow up:

So I called around maybe half a dozen different places and this is what I’ve found out.

As a disabled vet still serving, I just need my VA disability paperwork and my military ID, no license required. Need a Compass DNR ID number, which you get for free.

In order to hunt on public lands, you need the “Free Public Hunting Permit.” The problem is that while you would typically get this thru buying it (for free) on the Compass app, there are programming controls that prevent you from doing so unless you have a license on file.

I emailed the “ Southern Region Manager
    Department of Natural Resources
    Wildlife and Heritage Service” and a few other people and got a response back the next morning. I talked with the manager over the phone and he “forced” the pass within the system, and then verbally passed along the gate code for where I was planning to hunt. He also confirmed what I had been told before about what documents I need to be carrying with me.

All in all, a confusing process but a positive result. A cool little caveat in MD hunting regs that I really appreciate.

If someone ends up reading this years from now and is wondering the same thing, please feel free to reach out to me directly.

And thanks to everyone who commented, I really appreciate the knowledge that resides on this forum.

*edit*. I am not 100% VA disabled. Being 100% is a different process, one that I assume is a bit easier.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom