• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    So this happened a few days ago but I'm just now getting to writing this up. The pics you see below are the result of an out of battery detonation in my AR9. Before anyone says, oh I bet it was a double charge, no it was not. There are multiple pieces of brass with telltale signs (see pics) and I happened to be running this mag over a chrono when it happened. The gun is a hodge podge lower build with a 5 inch alpha shooting sports 9mm upper. Upper has an unknown number of rounds through it but at least 500, more likely 1000+. All of these have been reloads from the same press these incident rounds were loaded on. The previous loads have been 124gr bayou over 4.0gr of N320 and 147 HST over 3.8gr of N320. Never had an issue with these. The issue was with some blue bullets 147 round nose over 3.6gr of N320. I'm not blaming the bullet at all here, just saying these are what it happened with. This load shot great out of my pistols when I tested it. All of these rounds were loaded to the same COAL (don't have it handy, currently sitting in a tree stand). The issue is these rounds apparently did not fully chamber but were still able to be fired. Some of the spent cases have bulged ends as you can see in the pics but not all of them. Additionally some of these have pierced primers. Following the OOB detonation I cleaned the gun real well and tried it again with a shorter COAL. Same thing happened. All of these are loaded on a 650 with a lee factory crimp die in the last station. I then took the upper off, bolt out and plunk tested a few different rounds. Sure enough these sat almost 1/4 inch out of the chamber more than the rest (see pics, brass is the 147 blue bullet, nickel is a factory 147 gold dot). I couldn't even smash them in with my thumb. Very odd.

So I'm assuming the gun shouldn't have been able to fire while OOB? Something wrong with the upper or do I just continue to use the loads I know that work? Perhaps an out of spec firing pin? I had issues with the upper when I first got it (ejection and feeding) but got these resolved by bending the ejector and adding quarters to the back of the buffer tube. Both are fairly common AR9 issues and easily found fixes online. Anybody have an experience like this? I've searched online but couldn't come up with anything similar. Thanks and for you gurus out there trying to help me I can provide more info on gun, ammo, etc, just ask.

Attachments

• 20220114_120820.jpg
      20220114_120820.jpg
      83.4 KB · Views: 286
    • 20220114_135547.jpg
      20220114_135547.jpg
      46.5 KB · Views: 283
    • 20220114_121007.jpg
      20220114_121007.jpg
      82.8 KB · Views: 289
    • 20220114_123502.jpg
      20220114_123502.jpg
      47.3 KB · Views: 314
    • 20220114_123410.jpg
      20220114_123410.jpg
      57.2 KB · Views: 281

smdub

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 14, 2012
    MoCo
    Colt AR9 bolts can not fire OOB. They are sharp edged on the bottom and the hammer will not reach the firing pin if the bolt isn't almost completely in battery. Other bolt manufs don't always do this. If you have a 'ramped bolt' to reduce trigger slap (and the hammer trying to beat the fire control group to death), they cut away the sharp edge on the bolt below the firing pin. That allows the hammer to be able to hit the pin while still not in battery.

Take a pic of the firing pin end of your bolt and post it.

Edit: this is a non-ramped bolt. You can see how the sharp edge (leftmost arrow) will block the hammer if the bolt isn't closed enough. Your situation is actually pretty common. Its dangerous to run a bump-fire or light/fast trigger on an AR9 upper and a ramped bolt. In your case you just have ammo that isn't in spec.
    VahXI3M.jpeg

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    Colt AR9 bolts can not fire OOB. They are sharp edged on the bottom and the hammer will not reach the firing pin if the bolt isn't almost completely in battery. Other bolt manufs don't always do this. If you have a 'ramped bolt' to reduce trigger slap (and the hammer trying to beat the fire control group to death), they cut away the sharp edge on the bolt below the firing pin. That allows the hammer to be able to hit the pin while still not in battery.

Edit: this is a non-ramped bolt. You can see how the sharp edge (leftmost arrow) will block the hammer if the bolt isn't closed enough.
    VahXI3M.jpeg

This. Also, if you don't have a case gauge you probably should buy one. I gauge all my pistol and (bulk) rifle reloads. Dillon when I can, wilson when I can't. Cases that don't size properly are usually at fault. In a submachine gun, this problem can get very nasty very fast, nevermind a rifle caliber automatic.

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    This. Also, if you don't have a case gauge you probably should buy one. I gauge all my pistol and (bulk) rifle reloads. Dillon when I can, wilson when I can't. Cases that don't size properly are usually at fault. In a submachine gun, this problem can get very nasty very fast, nevermind a rifle caliber automatic.

Yeah I don't normally case gauge pistol ammo because it takes forever. Just thought about it sitting here but I need to measure those bullets when I get home. Potential they're out of spec and causing issue. Can't think of another reason these would be so far off from all the other 9mm I load. My press is essentially sizing the cases twice, once with the sizing die and once with the FCD. But I should've taken the calipers to the rounds after this happened I just kinda forgot about it.

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC

Edit: this is a non-ramped bolt. You can see how the sharp edge (leftmost arrow) will block the hammer if the bolt isn't closed enough. Your situation is actually pretty common. Its dangerous to run a bump-fire or light/fast trigger on an AR9 upper and a ramped bolt. In your case you just have ammo that isn't in spec.
    VahXI3M.jpeg

Thanks, I'll take a look at the bolt when I get home. I would like to replace this upper with a CMMG RDB bolt/barrel but they're unobtanium it seems.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Thanks, I'll take a look at the bolt when I get home. I would like to replace this upper with a CMMG RDB bolt/barrel but they're unobtanium it seems.

I just received mine after a long wait(under a year). They don't charge your card until they are shipping. In my case, my card was replaced by then and they emailed me with a couple options. I updated my payment method as per their instructions. It arrived a week later.

https://cmmg.com/barrel-and-bcg-kit-5-4140cm-sbn-9mm

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC
    Back order from CMMG. I backordered a .22 AR BCG/Barrel. I had it in 3 weeks.

I just received mine after a long wait(under a year). They don't charge your card until they are shipping. In my case, my card was replaced by then and they emailed me with a couple options. I updated my payment method as per their instructions. It arrived a week later.

https://cmmg.com/barrel-and-bcg-kit-5-4140cm-sbn-9mm

Thanks I think I'll do that. I'm on in stock notices at a few places but this is probably my best bet. Last notice I got was sold out before I could even add to cart.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Thanks I think I'll do that. I'm on in stock notices at a few places but this is probably my best bet. Last notice I got was sold out before I could even add to cart.

Yes. Right now they are a "build for next customer in line" mode. I'm sure they are supplying other vendors but you never know how long their waiting lists are. I blew 7-8 months wait to hear from Optics Planet, then RTBA. I finally said screw it and went directly to the source. Get in line...

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air

I kept doing that, and finally just back ordered from Brownells. I think that’s the only way to get one. Otherwise waiting for them to be in stock….you’re in line behind every single back order.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I kept doing that, and finally just back ordered from Brownells. I think that’s the only way to get one. Otherwise waiting for them to be in stock….you’re in line behind every single back order.

Yep

kstone803

Official Meat Getter
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ltown in the SMC

VahXI3M.jpeg

Appears to be a ramped bolt. For now I'm just going to shoot what I know works out of it and get on the wait list for the RDB combo.

Attachments

• 20220129_134047.jpg
      20220129_134047.jpg
      48 KB · Views: 125

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom